• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

axys track wear polaris denied

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I know Red Mtn is going to eat this post up. So after 200 miles my track is wearing like crazy where the lugs are un clipped. Even keith Kurtis sled at hay days was just shredded in those spots. Anyways I talked to the engineers and district sales rep at Polaris at Haydays who guaranteed that when I brought it to my dealer for warranty claim they would take care of it. My dealer is awesome and fought tooth and nail even armed with who I talked to at Polaris. And polaris denied it and blamed it on track tension and snow conditions. I think with my buddy working at Arctic and all next sled will be green. Got screwed by timbersled/polaris to the point I just sold the timbersled also. Oh well live and learn. Sled handles sweet btw and I will be clipping all the windows

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
If track tension was part of the blame then dealer set up sled wrong; right?

What the heck does clipping all the windows mean?!

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I have a 2.6 that looked bad with a few hundred miles and now has 1,500 with no issues looks bad where it's not clipped but I think it will be fine. I also have 3.0 that did the same thing it has 1,000 miles. I wonder if they wear really quick and then stop? I'll see if the 2.6 makes 2,000 this year,

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Thats interesting to hear. I figured polaris wasn't going to do anything and didn't really expect they would. But when the couple polaris employees said they would and didn't thats what sucks. So it stops it hasn't really worn worse? I still feel like clipping them is probably the way to go to be safe. By the time I ever hit 2,500 miles I feel like I will have more broken lugs and such that I would need a track anyways.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
If track tension was part of the blame then dealer set up sled wrong; right?

What the heck does clipping all the windows mean?!

See the metal track clips where the windows are? If you look you will notice the windows that don't have lugs are clipped and the windows with lugs are not.

Looking at all the other manufactures sleds I noticed they all clipped the lug windows. This makes sense in my mind because the lugs are hitting the snow/ground so that means there being pushed up to the hyfax more than the windows that don't have any lug hitting the ground.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That wear is common, but they are not warranting it for anyone I'm aware of. That said at 200 miles (even if noticeable) you have a loong time before any potential issues come up. If it bothers you in the meantime, just buy the clips...they are easy and cheap.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
That wear is common, but they are not warranting it for anyone I'm aware of. That said at 200 miles (even if noticeable) you have a loong time before any potential issues come up. If it bothers you in the meantime, just buy the clips...they are easy and cheap.

How can you say that? Do you know how and where this guy rides? Have you seen his track? That wear is more than common and can and does cause issues. There is no mileage amount that equates to the issues.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
How can you say that? Do you know how and where this guy rides? Have you seen his track? That wear is more than common and can and does cause issues. There is no mileage amount that equates to the issues.
I've seen a lot of them a lot of different mileages, so yes I feel very confident saying I've never seen one wear through in 200 miles. If you were able to wear one to failure in that amount of miles, you legitimately DO have other issues at play....track tension, not using scratchers, alignment or SOMETHING to make it wear that quick.

I don't dispute that they DO wear prematurely...and different riding styles or low-snow conditions could definitely accelerate that.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Mine looked great until I rode in "low" snow conditions, I realize these are powder sleds, but they should be able to be run in any SNOW conditions without issues. Its just BS, clearly not a user issue, there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of sleds with issues.

J
Feb 28, 2011
Had the same issue with mine in the first 200 miles told the dealer and they said to watch track tension. I took pictures and sent to dealer, every weekend I checked track tension and made adjustments as needed. The track continued to get worse I would send pictures to dealer so they a record what was going on. By the end of last season the track was looking extremely bad, windows were cut down into threads the drive nubs were getting chewed up and one rearidler wheel was starting to wear off to one side. My dealer had told me to ride it and Polaris will take care of it. The machine had 2000 miles on it when I dropped it off this summer. Polaris said they would not do anything because it was improper track tension. I showed my dealer that the track was starting to separate where the rear idler wheel meet the track. I said if I had improper tension the track should not be starting to separate. They resent the claim with all the pictures and dates. Polaris ended up replacing the track and the idler wheels. My advice is take pictures and send to dealer so you have proof of what is happening. If I hadn't had those pictures I don't think I would of got warranty. As you guys put on more miles that track will get worse.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I agree- that there is an issue and have fought long and hard with poo on several sleds.. So- to end it all and to date 25 sleds I have clipped- ( including mine as the 1st sacrificial lamb)- Rode all last season had zero issues.. NADA ZILCH any-longer.
I have clipped with guided- and unguided clips- with really zero difference between the two
.Some peeps just wanted clips guided for the rail to be guided-

In all honesty .. just clip the track and end this nightmare... not really worth the frustration to get denied, and continue to worry.... Easier to just focus on self help....and ride...

Just an FYI.. buy a good clipping tool.. the cheapo $60.00 ones out there don't last-and gets frustrating.... Clips are inexpensive and can get them on E bay or Amazon..

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Maybe Polaris engineers are slow, or it's politics, but seems logical that if you cut back the rail and create a gap between it and the rear idler wheels, you're gonna get track wear. Especially with unclipped lugs. I would think the lug folds and make a bump on the back side, which will scrape off the end of the rail.

Curious to know if anyone has tried, or will try, a longer rail or rail extension? Maybe even just leave the hyfax long, dangling off the back of the rail a couple of inches?

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
After hearing of this issue, I got on line and purchased the tool and clips. Took maybe an hour to do and didn't have to remove the track or lower suspension. Cheap insurance in my opinion. But yes, they should have clipped the lug and not the other way around. Maybe added two pounds to the sled.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
After hearing of this issue, I got on line and purchased the tool and clips. Took maybe an hour to do and didn't have to remove the track or lower suspension. Cheap insurance in my opinion. But yes, they should have clipped the lug and not the other way around. Maybe added two pounds to the sled.

Can you post the link please where you ordered the tool and clips?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I clipped mine and added the wheel kit to the rails. Seems to be working fine. The one thing I notice is the track seems like it isn't lined up and will run a little off. I think some of it is the rear wheels are weak and do move on the axle or its the wheel moving, not sure. I think this all is a factor in the wear. Like others have said clip it save, going to the dealer and ride, no more worries.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I've been down this road too, windows worn, added clips, then chewed up a cutblock & caught a stump and tore the track.
Replaced with a powder claw which is clipped properly IMO.
Looking back at the previous 5.1 series tracks they all have the same clip placement as the newer series 7. Unclipped on the lug window and clipped in the non-lug window in a crisscross from side to side.

series 5.1 17.38.28.jpg IMG_2431.JPG IMG_6148.JPG

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Clipping this track will extend the life by 500 miles. It is not solely the tracks fault either as even the 2.4 track will get the same wear pattern on the axys. Check out the wear on my rails...
ab91f9ac512ebf8604f0fad1db8446ac.jpg

Last year Polaris said my track was too loose. This year it was too tight. Will be clipping again this year and running a normal tension not the rediculous tension in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features