• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

area 51 snow machine

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
How did you calculate the gearing?

I just based it off of the final gearing that i had from the kawasaki that i built last year. I think my sprockets are 14cs and 18 or 19 on drive shaft. I tried to find a happy medium between low enough to do tight technical tree riding and still be able to haul balls down the trail.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Little rough on the edges , but really like the concept, the geometry is right for once on a single ski, all the others make to many compromises to retain the dirt bike frame . The track needs to be right under the engine on a bike but this makes it to tall unless you are 7 foot+ (Yours has that part perfect)
The side flex of the zx2 will be awesome in this application.
Got to love innovative thinking.

Thanks. You really have no idea how small and light this thing feels. There is really no compromise to my idea.. The whole things is built around an engine that sits over the front of the track. Seat height can be made different by changing how tall the gas tank is. Chain drive is direct and very short with no extra idlers for tensioning.
Engine options would really only require small changes in overall package. Large bore bike or quad motors. Turbo might be next big step if this feels good on snow.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
first ride

Well i took it out on the first ride down the alley in gravel. I was having some fuel pressure problems but think they are ok now. Gearing seems to be spot on for my likings. Slow enough in first for technical riding. I think it might just pull a wheelie on a good snow pack it i can get enough traction. Feels great for a dirt ride. Let it snow soon.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I really like how compact and small this is. Should be much more managable, nimble, and turn quicker. Less intimidating for my wife or children to hop on and have some fun.

Could you please take more up close shots of the motor region. Would really like to see drive chain setup and steering arrangement.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Nice work. Loved the vid!! You need to invest in a pipe bender so you can put some curves in that thing before you hurt yourself! :fear::faint2:

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
one warning tho- remember that dog in Joe Dirt that froze his nutz to the porch? Aluminum "might" put the chill on things; pack some warm water just in case :ballchain: I like the way these bikes are headed- I think we are watching the same move the 670 summit(best thing since sliced bread: who could improve THAT?!!) made when it turned into a REV and changed our world!!
Keep on what you are doing, just don't freeze the twins down:face-icon-small-win

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
one warning tho- remember that dog in Joe Dirt that froze his nutz to the porch? Aluminum "might" put the chill on things; pack some warm water just in case :ballchain: I like the way these bikes are headed- I think we are watching the same move the 670 summit(best thing since sliced bread: who could improve THAT?!!) made when it turned into a REV and changed our world!!
Keep on what you are doing, just don't freeze the twins down:face-icon-small-win

Yeah i don't normally ride without clothes on but you never know what alcohol and a good bet could bring on so good point about the twig and berries. LOL
With a few small changes this thing should be awsome!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Awesome!! a purpose built single ski with original thinking well past what we have seen for years.. Great job Les!!!

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Nice work!

Yeah i don't normally ride without clothes on but you never know what alcohol and a good bet could bring on so good point about the twig and berries. LOL
With a few small changes this thing should be awsome!

Seemed a little skitish on the trail but off trail looked good.. Like I wrote before I think you are on to something , it had me thinking what your design would be like with a yamy phazer engine in it and a little more track. Keep up the good work!!!!!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Seemed a little skitish on the trail but off trail looked good.. Like I wrote before I think you are on to something , it had me thinking what your design would be like with a yamy phazer engine in it and a little more track. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Funny you mention that , a friend of mine thought to just take the front clip of a phazer and put a single ski frond end on just like this one would be the ticket.

However it would not be compact or light. I doubt you could get that down to anywhere near 400 pounds dry

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
dang les, they have some big snow out there!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
goooooo job

yur sno bike is headed down the right road.........er trail. great concept.

I'm building a snow bike with Yam 450, and I thinking I wasted my time tearing the Yam down for a track, should have just lit the Mig or Tig and built from the handlebars back.

Premium Features