• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat "Catalyst" (All I am allowed to share)

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My summary of the podcast posted in another thread
Just listened to the hour and twenty minute long SW podcast on spotify. Here are the main points:
  1. Tested all 154 length tracks. Some 3" lug and one 2.6" lug. 3" was the definite choice in the deep snow they were in. 2.6" trenched a little more.
  2. SW staff does not like the current Alpha Ascender. Like at all compared to a Polaris or Ski-Doo. Catalyst feels nothing like the current platform. It's lighter, more balanced, predictable, and the Alpha skid in this new chassis doesn't feel like the Alpha in the current chassis. They had one current 800 Alpha and no one wanted to ride it after being on the Catalyst.
  3. Does not feel like a Cat. Feels like something completely different. Feels like the most naturally adapted mountain platform of any brand. Cat staff emphasized that mountain was given the priority when developing the platform.
  4. Chassis feels shorter and smaller.
    1. Everything is packaged about as tight as it can get.
    2. Reduction of parts throughout. Even smaller, trimmer wiring harness.
  5. Weight.
    1. They believe the 10% weight reduction.
    2. Sleds they tested all had ES and they can't believe they didn't notice the extra weight from it. No different tank or seat for ES models, but rest of ES system is largely the same as past Cat models.
  6. There is no "breakover point" in handling. It's an even feeling rolling from one side to another and easy to compensate or make changes.
  7. Back end never washed out.
  8. Belt drive.
    1. 3 gear ratios available that use same belt.
    2. Eccentric tension adjustment on the top shaft.
  9. Steering system.
    1. Old system uses 6-7 parts from handlebars to skis.
    2. New system uses 3-4
    3. New mountain steering post has a U-joint in it to get it vertical.
    4. Steering is easier and progressive.
  10. Aluminum accessory running boards that were on the white/blue sled iced up. Composite boards did not ice up.
  11. 600 Engine
    1. It rips.
    2. 125hp class.
    3. In the Catalyst chassis it goes as good as an 800 in another chassis. They would rather buy a 600 Catalyst than an 800 Ascender.
    4. Will be no larger motor in this chassis for 2024. Cat simply does not have it ready, supply chain, manpower, etc.
    5. They are excited for when the larger engine comes.
  12. Limits on how many snowmobiles can be built.
  13. Cat is going to try to price it around current 600 prices.
  14. Everything was better than expected.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
as some of us have to ride more than a few miles to get to the good stuff, and have to leave scratchers down while on the trail, and sometimes the trail is so hard even they won't keep the overheat light from coming on.....i read somewhere that there is improved cooling....any imput as to what that might be, and is it significant

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
as some of us have to ride more than a few miles to get to the good stuff, and have to leave scratchers down while on the trail, and sometimes the trail is so hard even they won't keep the overheat light from coming on.....i read somewhere that there is improved cooling....any imput as to what that might be, and is it significant
They removed the snow flap so I doubt its more cooling than before

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
My only guess is the one piece tunnel design that is straight intead of "stink bug rear" so any snow on the track gets thrown directly to the front area but idk im not an engineer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That is an excellent question!
I think they are for 2024.
We have not seen or heard a peep from yamaha. If they were going back to manufacturing their own mtn sled, i think we would have seen or heard something by now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
IMPROVED COOLING

• The CATALYST platform utilizes an all-new heat exchanger design with an optimized fin profile to provide additional surface area to improve cooling performance in low snow conditions.
    • The trail and crossover models feature an all-new snow flap design enhancing cooling performance for any trail condition.

L
Mar 15, 2019
Wondering about these dates they talked about in the beginning of the thread. Doesn’t seem like much more info has come out on the current 600 they plan to release in march for pre order. I’d like to know what I’m ordering in detail before I order one.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wondering about these dates they talked about in the beginning of the thread. Doesn’t seem like much more info has come out on the current 600 they plan to release in march for pre order. I’d like to know what I’m ordering in detail before I order one.
They will release more info before/at snowcheck… will probably be terrible and confusing information if it’s anything like previous years info, but there will be more.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The market is ripe for Cat at snowcheck. They will have to earn it, but I hope they impress and then capitalize. I for one am ready to get back on a Cat.

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
I don't think the market is ripe for Cat. Without an 800 in anything and competing against big bores and turbos with multiple years to improve and work out the bugs, they are sliding down the backside into the abyss.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
ya tough to sell a 600 mountain sled when the competition has factory turbos. the platform I hope is as good as they say,, but without a big motor or and boost, not many mountain sleds will be checked is my guess....if they had a 870 ish NA motor id bite,, but not a 600

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm rooting for them! Going to be looking for a new sled after next season, hoping the 24 Catalyst 888 is the ticket. If not, ready to switch to a 9R 155 as that is what I'm looking for. Just scared to death of Polaris failures and something I wouldn't deal with very well like the fan boys do. Too much money being spent to accept that kind of bs

Premium Features