• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I don’t think that works that way. Take a GPS and try it in a vehicle.

It’s two measurements, gps speed, and vertical gain. Your distance travelled will be far more than the vertical gain in elevation. Depending on the length of the climb vs the actual elevation change, the error in the speed would be minimal. Without knowing the actual numbers to do the math the error would be well below .5% range for a snowmobile, therefore GPS speed is still pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
It's not quite that simple. 25mph vertically and 25mph horizontally don't equal 50mph at a 45 deg angle. Pythagorean theorem needed...... it's 35mph horizontally.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It's not quite that simple. 25mph vertically and 25mph horizontally don't equal 50mph at a 45 deg angle. Pythagorean theorem needed...... it's 35mph horizontally.
I'm not sure. If you climb 90 degrees straight up your horizontal ground speed is zero even if you are going 50 mph straight up. Now at 45 degrees you will be moving 1/2 the distance horizontally and half vertically. 1/2 of 50 is 25 mph in both directions. The question really is: Does a gps record speed in verticle directions? I know it can because it knows altitude but does the programmer of the software record it this way? Maybe some and maybe not others??

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I was being a smart a$$. I don't know how GPS handles it but, all I'm saying is 50mph at a 45 deg angle is NOT 25 mph in both primary directions.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
What have you learned from guessing track speed and throttle position and snow resistance and incline?
I agree with learning,
Y’all are guessing.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
there is this thing they call the internet, you can look up things like this....

Per said quick search:

GPS satellites circle the earth twice a day in a very precise orbit and transmit signal information to earth. GPS receivers take this information and use triangulation to calculate the user's exact location. Essentially, the GPS receiver compares the time a signal was transmitted by a satellite with the time it was received. The time difference tells the GPS receiver how far away the satellite is. Now, with distance measurements from a few more satellites, the receiver can determine the user's position and display it on the unit's electronic map. A receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user's 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude). Once the user's position has been determined, the GPS unit can calculate other information, such as speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset time and more.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That’s a very broad description that forgets many systems function differently.
We use a repeater for our tractor gps for example that will hit a mark dead on.
My son’s phone tracker can say he’s in the shop when he’s in the house.
If he goes five miles south it shows he’s 75 as it switches into NV towers.
Some systems can calculate elevation into speed most don’t need to.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The top of the image says Ghostrider Motorsports, British Columbia.
Sorry missed that. My 23 NA snowcheck Polaris 165 was $21K CDN OTD with basic gauge so for new tech it is probably in the ball park only when I ordered my 23 we were experiencing Covid pricing and low interest rate. Now, I am not sure a lot of guys would spend that much for a first year motor and buddy tracking that won't work in Canada for some time?? Time will tell.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Holly crap I just called my dealer and he’s ordered 28 different sleds today!
The cheap black sled is only 154x2.6 and I wanted a 165 so I didn’t check that price!
Sno pro 165x3 elect start with cat three position shicks 18293
With gauge 19500
Said they told him he’d get everything he ordered this week. So I guess if you want one….better call Saul! Maybe a 154x2.6 wouldn’t be to bad lol. Only blacked out sled is 154 (sure you k re that)

Premium Features