• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

P
Dec 15, 2018
That’s David McClure so it’s got to be the 858 all hopped up iam sure. The 600 has an unfortunate exhaust note. That one there sounds much different. I only say that because I don’t like loud high pitched exhaust notes and iam trying to get used to mine (kinda don’t like it but love my 800’s)

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
That’s David McClure so it’s got to be the 858 all hopped up iam sure. The 600 has an unfortunate exhaust note. That one there sounds much different. I only say that because I don’t like loud high pitched exhaust notes and iam trying to get used to mine (kinda don’t like it but love my 800’s)
That was my thought, I'm betting the Black Cats all have an 858. Surprised they aren't advertising that though since they already announced the engine.

P
Dec 15, 2018
All the rmhc cat guys ran 858’s and some with turbos last year at Jackson. Iam a bit weird and watch all these guys on you tube and social media and they talk about it. I don’t think the turbos are factory though but ibex did one on a hill climb sled and talked about it on snowest podcast. No I lied they ran the 800 but in the catalyst chassis! Just watched the ibex install video and there’s a hint in there about the 858 but iam not gonna say anything cause iam a kook and know jack shi$ lol. Coming from cars Iam allways amazed at just how little space there really is in a snowmobile lol! Don’t forget too they allready had said in an official press release they wanted to debut the chassis with a 858 but had supply issues with the foundry doing the castings and could not fumet the parts. Should have gone limited edition billet for the chadleys in the world lol

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
That was my thought, I'm betting the Black Cats all have an 858. Surprised they aren't advertising that though since they already announced the engine.
talking with a friend at the factory, no one outside of the engineering staff has 858 vehicles in their possession. i specifically asked about the black cat riders and he said no.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
You are right BD97 many of us were expecting more. One would think with an 11% increase in HP that would warrant a class change? Now that being said it could be a mistake or maybe its easier to keep the expectations low and surprise everyone. I have been noticing some inconsistency in the printed material and parts manuals. AC is saying the fuel tank is 10.4 Gallon but in the owners manual its 9.4 don't know which one it is? In the parts manual the picture doesn't match the part number which is not uncommon when something new is introduced but still a mistake. What does surprise me is how early you can order the sleds, they will probably be delivered Aug or Sept.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
talking with a friend at the factory, no one outside of the engineering staff has 858 vehicles in their possession. i specifically asked about the black cat riders and he said no.
I would expect that to change soon. When I spoke with Andy Bevis at the sled show he had mentioned that the magazines would get the 858 for test riding and demos would also be available this spring. I am sure they were waiting for the new year and maybe a little snow.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
It says 165hp CLASS. Who knows what that really means. We will find out about this time next year when production sleds get in the wild.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
165hp is the threshold of reliability. Anymore hp and chit goes wonky. The advantage is the efficiency and design of the chassis. Quitcherbitchin

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I aint bitchen😎. I have 6 in my trailer with no plans of getting rid of it for a couple years anyway.🤓

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The 858 is not a turbo and does not have DI. 165 hp is a realistic number.
Where do people get their ideas the DI is used to make more power? The fact is Doo uses DI for low speed efficiency and uses old school standard injectors to make power. If Cat wants to make power and light weight, they would have rejected DI as it adds weight and complexity.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Where do people get their ideas the DI is used to make more power? The fact is Doo uses DI for low speed efficiency and uses old school standard injectors to make power. If Cat wants to make power and light weight, they would have rejected DI as it adds weight and complexity.
“People” get those ideas from people who know a lot more about the subject than I doo.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
U mad bro?

Premium Features