• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

R
Feb 26, 2008
The podcast is spot on off the second time i rode them. They aren't there to set sleds up. They were there to ride or evaluate what cat brought. Everyone who ordered one should be thanking snowest for the crappy review. It's because of them that cat got off their azz and remapped and clutched them. People will get better running sleds because of it.
What Im saying is they cant tell the difference between good shocks and bad shocks. They wouldnt know if its setup, design or snow.

Hell they think the laydown engine is new to the 858.

D
Dec 22, 2018
The 858 is not as light feeling on the snow. We had 2 600's with us a 3" and 2.6 154. Everyone that rode the 858 said the same thing, it felt heavier. The 600 is almost too easy to ride in the trees.

A big surprise :ROFLMAO: Not a long ago people in this forum were convinced that its not possible

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The weight will be interesting. On the scale it’s a good possibility the overall 858 package will be lighter than the 600. There are a couple things on the current ascender chassis that have to be less weight over the 600 catalyst; carbon torque plate and aluminum track shaft.

I think it would be fun making a 700 catalyst out of the 600. I’ve heard a rumor that the 700 jugs fit but I have not seen any yet so maybe they don’t. My 06 M7 is still one of my favorite sleds. I kept that one the longest out of all my sleds.

A M7 2.6 track would make for a killer springtime sled. I might have to look into that more, sounds like a fun project…..😁. But likely the current 600 makes better power over the ole M7 and why we haven’t heard of any yet.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The weight will be interesting. On the scale it’s a good possibility the overall 858 package will be lighter than the 600. There are a couple things on the current ascender chassis that have to be less weight over the 600 catalyst; carbon torque plate and aluminum track shaft.

I think it would be fun making a 700 catalyst out of the 600. I’ve heard a rumor that the 700 jugs fit but I have not seen any yet so maybe they don’t. My 06 M7 is still one of my favorite sleds. I kept that one the longest out of all my sleds.

A M7 2.6 track would make for a killer springtime sled. I might have to look into that more, sounds like a fun project…..😁. But likely the current 600 makes better power over the ole M7 and why we haven’t heard of any yet.
M7 style cylinders fit but its a bit more complicated than that. Have to relocate the injectors and the water outlet on the head is wrong.
I had a set of 860 cylinders I considered using but it wouldnt be anywhere near as clean and easy as a 800 swap.

Speedwerx pipe mod and ecu for the catalyst makes more power than a tuned M7.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
M7 style cylinders fit but its a bit more complicated than that. Have to relocate the injectors and the water outlet on the head is wrong.
I had a set of 860 cylinders I considered using but it wouldnt be anywhere near as clean and easy as a 800 swap.

Speedwerx pipe mod and ecu for the catalyst makes more power than a tuned M7.
Was just looking at the Speedwerx sage2/3 for the 600, pretty impressive.

Figured there might be a few wrinkles with the 700 cylinders and why we haven't seen any.

A slightly used or holdover 600 catalyst with a Speedwerx sage 2/3 is probably the best bang for your buck right now. Some good deals on '24 600s out there.

Yes, yes I know Poo is slashing prices on holdovers but until someone is willing to put one in my garage for free, not something that interests me no matter how cheap they get....:ROFLMAO:!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd be lying if I said I haven't contemplated buying a cheap 600 and transplanting one of the powerplants from my current sleds since they will be worth nothing soon anyway.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I'd be lying if I said I haven't contemplated buying a cheap 600 and transplanting one of the powerplants from my current sleds since they will be worth nothing soon anyway.
I am currently hoping to find a cheap Catalyst 600 to do just that. Have a 950 Cutler looking for a home. Got a few ideas I want to try out for fun.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I was able to ride the 858 sleds a week ago. Our Cat rep met a group of us up Logan canyon. We were able to ride them for about 2 hours. We rode a 165" mountain cat, 165" sno pro and a 154" mountain cat. They all had the 3" tracks, the rep told us that the machines were from the original media ride in west Yellowstone and had been re flashed about 40 times. The engineers are busy making fuel and clutching changes before production starts. I was excited to ride the sleds in the conditions and area we know pretty well. The trail had been groomed recently and the corners had some bumps. The sno pro was very smooth down the trail, my personal sled is a 2019 154 Alpha. I never could dream about hitting the corners as fast as I was. The catalyst is planted in the corners, and feels like a dual rail hitting the bumps on the straights. The 165" tack was smooth over the bumps where in the past I have felt the slap of the longer rail. The whole time climbing we never switched the shocks from #1. I was able to ride the 600 sleds last spring in island park with Cat. The 858 is not as light feeling on the snow. We had 2 600's with us a 3" and 2.6 154. Everyone that rode the 858 said the same thing, it felt heavier. The 600 is almost too easy to ride in the trees. I find my self riding wrong foot forward not because it needs it to side hill, its to keep me from over compensating. The 858 you can ride neutral and just look and lean your weight. The power feels great in all ranges, I felt like the bottom end is awesome, but hopefully will be better in the fall. You can defiantly feel the longer legs of the engine compared to the 800. The 858 is going to give any na sled a run for there money next year. I know snowest does not think so, but I'm pretty positive it will beat a 9R. Excited for next season

I rode my 21 Alpha this last weekend after mostly been on my 9R all season. It felt so low compared to the 9R. I hated it. Does the Catalyst feel higher up than the Acender chassis? My 9R feels like a tall slender girl with a small butt, as where the Ascender was a short gal with a wide rear end. When I put my legs over the boards for the first time on my 858 it better be love at first sight or I'll really be reluctant to close the deal.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
I rode my 21 Alpha this last weekend after mostly been on my 9R all season. It felt so low compared to the 9R. I hated it. Does the Catalyst feel higher up than the Acender chassis? My 9R feels like a tall slender girl with a small butt, as where the Ascender was a short gal with a wide rear end. When I put my legs over the boards for the first time on my 858 it better be love at first sight or I'll really be reluctant to close the deal.
Way higher seat and way firmer. Skinnier than the 9R as well at the front of the seat/tank. Like sitting on a dirt bike feel.

Premium Features