• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone with belt probs have a look

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
the fix to these belt problems was fixed by jeff @ Dakota Performance in wishek, nd. The issue is actually in the chaincase as he has discovered at around 4 to 500 miles the screw setting the bearing tightly in chaincase for the jackshaft loosens up and allows secondary clutch to walk in and out of alignment hence big belt issues but a very easy fix...ps when resetting bearing retainer USE LOCTITE!!!!!! Good luck

We know, as of about 2 months ago. not the only issue here.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I blew my first belt at 300 miles and let me say when she went she went went good, took out the cover and put a dent in the pipe! She was turning 8250 and 45mph on a long pull and "kaboom" bout through me over the bars and belt dust was everywhere!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
the fix to these belt problems was fixed by jeff @ Dakota Performance in wishek, nd. The issue is actually in the chaincase as he has discovered at around 4 to 500 miles the screw setting the bearing tightly in chaincase for the jackshaft loosens up and allows secondary clutch to walk in and out of alignment hence big belt issues but a very easy fix...ps when resetting bearing retainer USE LOCTITE!!!!!! Good luck

I told Jeff about the issues with the jackshaft back in the start of DEC, with info that I got off off this forum. At that point they had no Idea what even held the shaft in place.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
"Switchedtothedarkside"
Why the bad rep for this statement, IMO if cat let some real riders ride these sleds in the real world they would have seen this problem and fixed it. Not riding in circles in cooke city, WTF.

I agree, this should apply to all manufacturers, with one caveat. They need to be non-paid or sponsored riders. I took part in the Demo's last year in Island Park and the person who put it on was an experienced mountain rider, but had a clear loyalty to the brand. I am pretty sure some well-known people rode these sleds, but it appears that maybe some things were not found out during the R and D portion of this sled. I have been lurking over here for a while, even though I currently ride a Pro-RMK. I actually really WANT to get a Cat, but from what I have seen so far, I haven't seen enough on the snow evidence to make the jump.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I agree, this should apply to all manufacturers, with one caveat. They need to be non-paid or sponsored riders. I took part in the Demo's last year in Island Park and the person who put it on was an experienced mountain rider, but had a clear loyalty to the brand. I am pretty sure some well-known people rode these sleds, but it appears that maybe some things were not found out during the R and D portion of this sled. I have been lurking over here for a while, even though I currently ride a Pro-RMK. I actually really WANT to get a Cat, but from what I have seen so far, I haven't seen enough on the snow evidence to make the jump.

Big difference in snow quality from right now vs spring time, I saw these sleds in cooke 2 years ago, so to have problems like this is a joke and goes to show the difference in how they test and how we ride.

B
Jan 3, 2011
sask
www.youtube.com
man this sucks i was really hoping they fixed all this mount issue why doesnt cat build a dam torque bracket/arm for these sleds like they should have done on the m1000 i was one of those guys that jumped ship because of constant motor mount and belt problems in 2700 miles on my m1000 i did 12 belts and changed all mounts 3 times and added extra mounts,i have over 1500 kms on my new sled 700 r from me still origanal belt only issue was a primary spring at 30 bucks hmm maybe cat should fix there motor mount and clutch issue already,i hope they do for all u cat guys and maybe one day i will return but for now im happy

C

catf1000s/p

Dec 30, 2011
mark my words, you might find out that alot of the belt problems are that the secondary spring is to long an binding, when the belt drives up the drive clutch and goes down the secondary an hits a wall because the spring is binding and stopping the belt from going down an when you keep on the throttle to go faster and the primary keeps trying to push the belt up, kaboom goes the belt, fix for the secondary spring binding because its to long is to take 0.20 of the plastic washers on the end of the secondary spring, this works for some but not others, also it is to be said the the 083 belt is to short and being pulled apart trying to get to full shift out, this is on the procross 8 but could be some of the problems with m's also, most of the guys running for mph are adding alot of weight to the primary to get the sleds to mph an belts coming apart like as in if you keep pushing the primary to push the belt up and down into the driven an its binding in driven or belt is to short, kaboom, i say it right now that the new 083 belt will be longer when they come out, they might not be call a 083 tho

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Is this just a problem with the proclimb sleds? We've got over 400 miles on the 2012 snopro race sled and have had zero belt problems with it. Maybe this is a good sign that they might be close to having the problem figured out for next years model? A buddy of mine test rode the 2013 proclimbs, f series, and xf's for cat in Togwotee a few months ago and those sleds never had belt problems. They had Rex Hibbert there along with Bret Rasmussen and a few others so I would assume the sleds we're being worked.

G

gordo1

Dec 3, 2007
schroeder, mn.
Is this just a problem with the proclimb sleds? We've got over 400 miles on the 2012 snopro race sled and have had zero belt problems with it. Maybe this is a good sign that they might be close to having the problem figured out for next years model? A buddy of mine test rode the 2013 proclimbs, f series, and xf's for cat in Togwotee a few months ago and those sleds never had belt problems. They had Rex Hibbert there along with Bret Rasmussen and a few others so I would assume the sleds we're being worked.

the race sleds have a better torque link in my opinion. snocross sleds they have an extra mount from the TCL to the chassis located behind the primary. basically doing what alot of guys on here were trying to design. coulda saved people alot of time just swapping to the snocross style TCL and jackshaft. here's a pic

tcl.jpg

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
your not seeing the torque, or the load on the tcl as us lower altitude, deep snow riders are.

-Aksnopro

I'm about as low as altitude gets.. a little below 1000ft above sea level. Was that a backhanded "Flatlander" comment? haha just kidding.

But I think the TCL design from the race sled could be used for improving the proclimb TCL. Just trying to bring something positive to you guys having trouble. Good luck

S

StumpySprout

Sep 23, 2011
Spanish Fork, UT
I feel bad for you guys. This is starting to resemble the Polaris Top End debacle on the 08-10's. I know dealers can't bite the hand that feeds, but it sure would be nice if they were more sympathetic to those that have had problems. Hell, I don't even own a Pro-Climb and I want to make a call for you.

Polaris Top End is much worse for two years then a belt issue that has not even been a year! They will fix it!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Wasn't a back hand at all was a bad assumption :)

The deep lugs still put more load on the entire drive system though :)

I agree that tcl looks way better!

Haha no worries it's all in good fun! Yes I agree with the deep lugs putting more load on the system.

For the time being if someone came up with a new fix they could strike it rich! :face-icon-small-ton

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
One thing to remember is that with the low snow year in the flatlands, Cat lost there test dummies that run around with with 100+ picks to load the drive train and show others weaknesses.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
mark my words, you might find out that alot of the belt problems are that the secondary spring is to long an binding, when the belt drives up the drive clutch and goes down the secondary an hits a wall because the spring is binding and stopping the belt from going down an when you keep on the throttle to go faster and the primary keeps trying to push the belt up, kaboom goes the belt, fix for the secondary spring binding because its to long is to take 0.20 of the plastic washers on the end of the secondary spring, this works for some but not others, also it is to be said the the 083 belt is to short and being pulled apart trying to get to full shift out, this is on the procross 8 but could be some of the problems with m's also, most of the guys running for mph are adding alot of weight to the primary to get the sleds to mph an belts coming apart like as in if you keep pushing the primary to push the belt up and down into the driven an its binding in driven or belt is to short, kaboom, i say it right now that the new 083 belt will be longer when they come out, they might not be call a 083 tho

I think you are dead on the mark here.... I was helping my buddy out of a hole on flat ground yesterday because he pulled the threads on his 3rd belt in 250 miles on his M800. We had the side panel off getting ready to put another belt on it but just wanted to get the sled out of the hole before putting the new belt on. I was pulling on his ski and he was working the throttle and when he pinned the throttle the sled was still stuck but the track was spinning fast; bottom line is I could see the clutches and the primary was shifting fine but the secondary would not let the belt shift down and was jamming the belt.
When you look at his primary it has a burn mark of belt about 7/8 of the way up the sheaves; it seems to me that the secondary is binding and is causing him to blow the belts.....
Anyone witness this or suspect this also???? Seems to me taking out the secondary washers for him might work.... Doubt it could be much worse if it doesn't work..... Just want to help my buddy not be spending $200 every time he wants to go riding...
Any thoughts???

M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
I think you are dead on the mark here.... I was helping my buddy out of a hole on flat ground yesterday because he pulled the threads on his 3rd belt in 250 miles on his M800. We had the side panel off getting ready to put another belt on it but just wanted to get the sled out of the hole before putting the new belt on. I was pulling on his ski and he was working the throttle and when he pinned the throttle the sled was still stuck but the track was spinning fast; bottom line is I could see the clutches and the primary was shifting fine but the secondary would not let the belt shift down and was jamming the belt.
When you look at his primary it has a burn mark of belt about 7/8 of the way up the sheaves; it seems to me that the secondary is binding and is causing him to blow the belts.....
Anyone witness this or suspect this also???? Seems to me taking out the secondary washers for him might
work.... Doubt it could be much worse if it doesn't work..... Just want to help my buddy not be spending $200 every time he wants to go riding...
Any thoughts???

I have not watched the clutches but after a hard pull I have opened the side panel and seen the black mark in the same spot and also i took a infrared heat gun and the center of the belt was over 200 degrees on a pretty short pull. The only way I think it could get that hot is slipping.

Premium Features