• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone carry a shovel on their sled too?

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Good luck digging avalanche pack snow with a grain shovel....you won't be able to move chit unless your 400 pounds and a 7 feet tall helluva stud. I use an ortovox with lexan blade and it's proven tough and the right size to dig hard pack. Metal don't mean $hit, my lexan has been used as a track stand and has lasted many years of abuse. Don't go with some knockoff cheapy for an avy shovel just cuz it's huge and metal, it's gonna break when you need it most. It will be useless in concrete avy snow where a smaller bite is all you will manage. Not sure why you'd carry two shovels??? one good one in the pack is all you need. Big shovel is fine for recreational use, but when someones buried under concrete snow the purpose built little bite is what you need to move snow fast. If your in avy terrain you should carry it on you in a pack that is firmly strapped on!! IMO

Last edited:

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Heres my shovel mount....

Wildchild gas rack with a www.mountainmod shovel

P1010541-1.jpg

Z

zr600cce

Sep 20, 2008
Omaha, Ne
Best shovel I've ever owned is a black-diamond Deploy. Great for storage and not quick to pull out if your in a hurry. No assembling when it's most needed and you don't have to keep the handle up and out. Prevents from hitting the handle on your head or catching limbs when your playing in the trees.

C

ccoleman77

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 27, 2008
Casper WY
Fourwheeled the snowies and found two SOS shovels on the trails. Pretty sure the stock in the trailer is around four or five plus the two I carry on my sled! Thanks to all those who suck at tying down there shiot! And if you can describe em we might be able to work a deal to get em back.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
I've heard of guys getting in an avy and loosing there sled. Had to dig his buddy out by hand and sticks....Barely.

I'm keeping one with me and the sled.
Thats why I keep mine in my pack, 2 actualy. Regular avy shovel and aluminum military style fold away deal if the sh** does hit the fan(slide snow is some dense chit), I keep the 2nd on the sled mostly.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Good luck digging avalanche pack snow with a grain shovel....you won't be able to move chit unless your 400 pounds and a 7 feet tall helluva stud. I use an ortovox with lexan blade and it's proven tough and the right size to dig hard pack. Metal don't mean $hit, my lexan has been used as a track stand and has lasted many years of abuse. Don't go with some knockoff cheapy for an avy shovel just cuz it's huge and metal, it's gonna break when you need it most. It will be useless in concrete avy snow where a smaller bite is all you will manage. Not sure why you'd carry two shovels??? one good one in the pack is all you need. Big shovel is fine for recreational use, but when someones buried under concrete snow the purpose built little bite is what you need to move snow fast. If your in avy terrain you should carry it on you in a pack that is firmly strapped on!! IMO

A grain shovel is very strong, I cut about 4" off mine to make it fit so it's even stronger and you can take a smaller bite with a big shovel if the snow is hard. However I have only been snowmobiling for 42 years and I have never seen an avalanche. I have broken down a few times so if I have to spend the night and make a camp the big shovel is nice. I have used the shovel to melt snow when I had a heat exchanger hose get pulled off, also nice to have a hot drink when spending the night in the bush. I guess you could melt snow in a plastic shovel. Are the plastic shovels tested for 40deg below? Strange things happen at that temp.

P
Nov 20, 2008
picture2 001.jpg

My old 99 RMK always had a shovel on the hood cause i had to ride the living **** outa it to keep up with the new tech....back in the day. Ah those were the days. WTF ever happened to those BR tech hoods with the space built in???????????????????

Oh and that starting line 700 was amazing!!

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
personally, i have never had a shovel with me...in most stucks i just step the snow down and climb up n out...

How are you going to dig your buddies out of an avy?

And yes, I carry a regular shovel and a snow claw. Rarely put the regular shovel on the sled, but occasionally on the deep meadow days. You never know when someone else will need a shovel in a emergency and the claw is really light. It doubles as a nice back plate keeping stuff from jabbing you in the back through the pack.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
A grain shovel is very strong, I cut about 4" off mine to make it fit so it's even stronger and you can take a smaller bite with a big shovel if the snow is hard. However I have only been snowmobiling for 42 years and I have never seen an avalanche. I have broken down a few times so if I have to spend the night and make a camp the big shovel is nice. I have used the shovel to melt snow when I had a heat exchanger hose get pulled off, also nice to have a hot drink when spending the night in the bush. I guess you could melt snow in a plastic shovel. Are the plastic shovels tested for 40deg below? Strange things happen at that temp.

you have to give the pups a while to learn the things that your true experiences have taught you....if only we are smart enough to listen...it sure seems like you could write a wonderful book on your adventures snowmobiling..cheers and have a great day...i really enjoy your posts.!!!!!!!!

Premium Features