• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any suggestions for warm durable snowbike boots?

A
Jan 18, 2018
Anything competing with the Klim Havocs?

I like the level of insulation the Havocs have, so even though I like the looks of them I don’t want to try the Velo Raids.

I still have a kickstart bike, when I’ve tried straight snowmobile or snowboard boots in the past, I’ve shredded them within a few rides. So that takes a lot of the warmer boot options off the table.

An internet search turned up the Tobe Cordus, does anyone have any reviews of this boot?

Am I missing any options when looking for warmth and durability?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I am on my second pair of Klim adrenaline GTX. I am on a 17 Yamaha kickstart. I got three years out of my first pair and I’m going into my third year on my second pair. I like the BOA system a lot but the laces can be found for cheaper obviously. You can usually find a pair from the previous year. Super warm and comfortable and a decent amount of support.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I know you said you don't want them but my Velo Raid boots look great still after 3 seasons, as in like brand new. I'm sure they have more than 100 days on them. The boots are tough and warm, but the buckles are crap. 509 replaces my buckles no questions asked. Their customer service has been top notch, a rarity these days. Something to consider. I ride my kick start bike sometimes, I just try to keep the kickstart on the tread part of the sole not in the arch.

M5

Let me add a little controversy to this conversation. You don't need the latest fancy dan overpriced snow bike/snow machine boots! One can use an all gore tex hunting boot such as a LaCross in 1000-2000 gram insulation level and your feet will never get cold. They and other premium brands are well built and last and you can walk in them much more comfortably should the situation arise. Just be sure and wear a liner sock under a thick wool sock.......... Just another alternative

E
Dec 19, 2007
I accidently ended up with a pair of Arctiva advance boots and had low expectations but they are crazy warm even below zero and look perfect even after a season of 2 days a week on my kick start bikes. they are cheap so not a big deal if they don't last 2 seasons but I think they will make it to the end the year. my feet get cold easy so theese boots are mandatory. in the past I've been getting good deals on stiff snowboard boots with boa but they get shredded in a season.

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Let me add a little controversy to this conversation. You don't need the latest fancy dan overpriced snow bike/snow machine boots! One can use an all gore tex hunting boot such as a LaCross in 1000-2000 gram insulation level and your feet will never get cold. They and other premium brands are well built and last and you can walk in them much more comfortably should the situation arise. Just be sure and wear a liner sock under a thick wool sock.......... Just another alternative
Just to add to the discussion, every fall Cabela’s has a sale on their Iron Ridge 800 gram thinsulate boots to under $100. I have worn them for 3-4 years before needing to replace them. On my second pair. I wear them both on the snowbike and the snowmobile. Have really enjoyed them. I always get a half size bigger to make room for extra thick wool socks.

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
Klim Adrenaline GTX. Several years on ATV tracks, then 3 years on a kick start snowbike. Soles are holding up very well, but last year I had to coat the side with Tuff Toe since the foot peg wore through the side mesh kick starting. Looks like I'll get a few more years out of them! Highly recommend Tuff Toe boot V2 if you need to fix a boot.

20221022_203041[1].jpg 20221022_203106[1].jpg

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
True story. Except for 1 thing. You’re on a bike.
I’ve worn almost exclusively heavy hunting boots for snowmobiling since a few decades ago. They work great with the right socks etc.
And rode my snobike for several years with them. And always thought about how soft they were when I’d bump something under the snow. Tried my snowboard boots. Stiffer and more supportive and protective. They don’t work right on a bike though being bulky and built different than mx boots.
Couple years ago I whacked something pretty good with my ankle ( under the snow). Got lucky I didn’t break my ankle or leg but it hurt….
That’s why I went to mx boots in the snow. And the extra support is awesome. As well.
I have Corazols. Don’t ride in real cold weather usually but half size big and wool sock liner with a thick wool sock is pretty warm. The soles are pretty thick for mx boots so I’m sure that helps with the cold too

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I accidently ended up with a pair of Arctiva advance boots and had low expectations but they are crazy warm even below zero and look perfect even after a season of 2 days a week on my kick start bikes. they are cheap so not a big deal if they don't last 2 seasons but I think they will make it to the end the year. my feet get cold easy so theese boots are mandatory. in the past I've been getting good deals on stiff snowboard boots with boa but they get shredded in a season.
I've ordered a pair solely (pun intended) on your suggestion, thanks Dawg.

A
Jan 18, 2018
Very good info on here. Nice to hear some real world reviews!

Dr. Z, I have a very similar repair done to my old pair of Klim Adrenalines... but I used a clear Shoe Goo and embedded little stainless steel washers in it for some extra protection/bling. They still work good and are still my backup boots today.

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Velo Raids have been on the shelf since I switched to the Tech 7 Drystars. More tradiational moto feel and support which me and my ankles prefer.

B
Jan 7, 2019
Lethbridge
I had a pair of velo raids, using them on a kickstart bike tore them up, not the sole like you might expect but the side of them

Since using the raids I switched to a pair of Forma terra Evo, they have welt (stitched) sole, hinged ankle, goretex-like waterproof breathable lining. Just went a size big and run some wool socks. They're also on the cheaper side, have run them for a year now and they're holding up well

20210108_173817.jpg

B
Nov 21, 2022
Mexico

AZ800 said:
True story. Except for 1 thing. You’re on a bike.
I’ve worn almost exclusively heavy hunting boots for snowmobiling since a few decades ago. They work great with the right socks etc.
And rode my snobike for several years with them. And always thought about how soft they were when I’d bump something under the snow. Tried my snowboard boots. Stiffer and more supportive and protective. They don’t work right on a bike though being bulky and built different than mx boots.
Couple years ago I whacked something pretty good with my ankle ( under the snow). Got lucky I didn’t break my ankle or leg but it hurt….
That’s why I went to mx boots in the snow. And the extra support is awesome. As well.
I have Corazols. Don’t ride in real cold weather usually but half size big and wool sock liner with a thick wool sock is pretty warm. The soles are pretty thick for mx boots so I’m sure that helps with the cold tooI
In the end you can ride in anything, heck, even in some sort of cowboy boots (https://gritroutdoors.com/apparel/western-wear/cowboy-boots/ I've seen a few folks riding in Twisted-X ones, pretty bizzare) or tall working/tactical ones, 2 pair of wool socks on are going to keep you warm as long as those are waterproof treated.
You don't NEED them, but if something happens - those provide very little support for your ankle and foot. I do agree that an insulated hiking or hunting boot would provide much more comfort though(so if that's your priority - decent pick). I'm with AZ800 on the more of "protection over comfort" side, since at one point I was as lucky as him and actually broke my ankle... Took like 6 months to recover, now I'm all for heavier boots when it comes to snowbike.
P.S currently using Klim Havocs, so far looking pretty good.

Premium Features