• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Announcing Hawkfest East - Lake Placid, NY

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Ok guys, lets get our own east coast thing going.

After looking at a map for a while, it seems to me that the Lake Placid area of NY is the most centralized location for the east coast people here on the forum.

I'm looking at March 13th & 14th. Does this date work for most of you guys?

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Another activity for us while in Lake Placid.

Riding in a 2 man bobsled with a professional driver $60. (they won't let us rookies do it alone)

Skeleton ride $40

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
i did the bobsled run during the summer! 4 man sled on wheels! kind of like the sled the used in Cool Runnings! thing was about to fall apart...let me tell you about a thrill! scary fast and the g forces in the corners were sickening,and we only started 1/2 way up the hill. my driver told me in the winter they run you down the full chute! i cant imagaine the last turn, he said speed is almost doubled in the winter starting at the top!!!

hawkfest east...im in!date sounds good unless spring has sprung and the bike buisness is booming! or i have already moved out west after hawkfest2010 (west)

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
the hill gets tons of snow and can usually ride all of march into april...i rode there last year mid march and it was awesome except for the rain on friday nite that iced things up a bit...lets just hope the folks out west send us some snow this year...still 50+ degrees here!

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
What's up guys? I had seen numerous comments over a period of time about east coast people wanting to do a get together. I'm willing to organize it, but so far only two people have even so much as commented on my posting.

Where's Rudeawakening, Zertrider and the rest of you? Not one person from VT, MA, NH, ME, RI, PA?

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Ok, that's 4 of you guys now. I hope you all don't mind, but I'm bringing the family. The wife will be riding a sled, while the kids and I will be on 3 Hawks. I'm planning to arrive around 1:00pm Friday for bobsledding and skeleton riding before dinner and wandering around town. I think I've found lodging on the trail system for $69/night.

To the lurkers and twoskis, you are welcome as well. Take the opportunity to see and ride these machines you watch YouTube videos of. Just realize that it may be dangerous to your wallet to take a test ride on one. This is a dangerously addictive drug. I haven't ridden one yet and I'm already an addict.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I'm now looking at Charlie's Inn (518-891-9858) for the lodging - you can find them by googling the name. It's directly on the trail system, and has it's own resturant and bar. Twenty minutes by car or sled outside of Lake Placid.

They have a 7 bed cabin with full kitchen for $150/night. I'll probably take a room for 4 for $85/n for my family. Other rooms are available, I just thought the cabin idea might be nice for all the guys coming stag. You'd be looking at $25/night if 6 people shared it. Let me know what you think or if you have othe ideas.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Join the parade.

That's stopping you, this ain't no Snow Hawks only club, it's about getting the word out!

I understand if you are worried about wanting one even more, it's just a matter of priorities, your Twoski will sell if it's advertised to the right person for the price they are willing to pay for it. I assure you it ain't going to cost you more when/if you want it back!

I would'nt say that to a Hawk owner though. Snowest is only one outlet for this Lake Placid event, to get other locals to show you have to get them where they lay, the shops, other forums, fliers, bullhorn on your sedan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Yes, date is March 11-13.

I'm planning to arrive in the Lake Placid area around 1:00 - 2:00 for Bobsled and Skeleton riding at the Lake Placid Olympic Center. Then dinner in the Lake Placid area. Return to Charlie's Inn (518-891-9858)for the night. I presently have a temporary reservation for a room for 4 for my family and a cabin with 7 beds. The cabin has a complete kitchen and is $150/n so you're only looking at $25/n each. I will reserve more rooms as interest grows. I will need money from people, or for you to contact Charlie's directly, regarding your lodging. You can find them through a Google search. They are located directly on the trail system and are about 15 miles outside of Lake Placid.

Saturday is a full day of riding followed by dinner and activities at the restuarant at Charlie's Inn. Prizes, awards, drink, laughther and tall stories I imagine.

Sunday is a half day ride before people start their drives home.

Depending on riding abilities there may well be 2 riding groups. I'm bringing my wife and kids (13&16), so consider this a family type event.

Again this event is for people interested in Hawks, not just those who have them! Join us with your sled and let us introduce you to Hawks. There will be several people that will let you try there machines.

Please step forward, express your interest and commit to the event. Things like this can't be put together at the last minute, so I need to know of people's interest now. On that topic, who else would be planning onthe Friday afternoon bobsledding?

Premium Features