• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ALMOST LIVE FROM THE WSSA SUMMER MEETING

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
You want to boycott the one of the only voices for snowmobiling in Washington? In case you have not heard, greenies are working diligently on getting snowmobiles banned from as many areas as they possibly can. Yes these people may be old school and not perfect, but at least they care enough to be involved. Sadly, the same can't be said for most snowmobilers. would you give up your free time to attend the WSSA summer meetings? By boycotting WSSA do you really think that will help our sport?

As someone who tries to be heavily involved in protecting our riding areas, I've found that WSSA is sadly absent from the struggle against added wilderness and riding closures; as are most snowmobilers who ride these threatened areas...

I'm glad to see fees increased, especially if there is some assurance that the new fees will go toward grooming and snowparks. If you ride Baker, Salmon La Sac, Teanaway, etc. (anywhere with a long road access before you can get off-trail), you know how ugly it gets in the spring when grooming shuts down.

M
Nov 28, 2007
A WSSA Board Member Responds

Full disclosure: I'm Matt Mead, a WSSA Board Member (Publicity Secretary). I'm speaking for myself and not representing WSSA, (beyond the fact I'm telling you I'm a board member anyway!)

the "Cheep skates" won out

Hmm, I guess I'm one of the cheapskates Dan is referring to. ;)

I'm not a rich guy by any means

I chuckle everytime Dan says this... Anybody that knows Dan knows he's doing alright...

I have to say for all the people that wanted to increase fee's ect, very few people showed up, Myself and several others were very disappointed with the turn out.

I'm with Dan on this one... well, on the opposite side... Given the outcry after our meeting last March, not to mention the fact I've read the survey results/report, I was surprised there weren't more people at the meeting complaining and squashing the increases that were passed.

No matter which side of this issue you are on, you have to show up and make your case!

Dont get me wrong , I've always been a wssa supporter and they've done a lot for our sport

I know Dan does and I appreciate this. Folks need to remember this is only one issue WSSA is dealing with. WSSA's goal is to represent ALL snowmobilers, and like national politics, we all don't agree on issues and outcomes.

but trying to change the minds of some of these people is a real challenge. Many of them are still living in the year 2000, not 2012

Well, this may be true of some, but the WSSA Board members I've talked to just have a different vision; want to follow a different path to put our Snowmobile Program back on track.

now lets see if we can get it thru Olympia ??

In order to get anything through, people are going to need to step up. I'd suggest everyone who supports these increases show up at WSSA's Olympia Day and lobby. The registration increase is going to look like a 'tax increase' to legislators and nobody seems to want that attached to their legacy...

you want guys like me to pay more just cause some candy asses can ride a groomed trail!! BS! Looks like I wont buy tabs for my sled this year!

This is one reason I'm a supporter of a $40 sno-park permit. It's tough to enforce registered sleds... you have to catch them. It's a whole lot easier to to cruise through a sno-park and see if everyone has a current sticker in their window.

There are a bit more than 16,000 owners of all the registered snowmobiles in WA. My estimate is that 10,000 of these folks will buy a sno-park permit at $40. That will put $400,000 into the program. Doesn't fix it, but certainly improves the situation.

The sno-park permit fee will be easier on families as they only need to buy one... verses a significant registration increase that is on each and every sled. It also adds a bit of fairness, as some of us are already having to pay for a sno-park permit by way of a Discover Pass to use the DNR Winter Rec Sites.

Our lobbyists indicated a couple of years ago that this legislative action, (giving the Parks Commission the ability to set a sno-park permit fee), might be an easier political goal. I understood this to mean a couple of things. First, it would have less of an effect on our ability to get our full fuel tax rebate; a major WSSA goal/initiative. Second, it would be shifting the 'taxing' to the Parks Commission; the legislators would be giving them the tools, but wouldn't be the ones actually setting a fee.

Along with charging for the sno-park permit, State Parks needs to end reciprocity with Oregon on sno-park permits so Oregon residents will start contributing some funds to Washington's Snowmobile Program. (This is likely mostly an issue in the St. Helens & Mt. Adams area.) This issue is being worked, but was placed on the back burner when Gregoire issued a directive that stopped this type of action. (It wasn't directed at this item specifically, but was some cost-cutting issue that had the consequence of temporarily shutting it down.)

When was the last time ANYTHING stayed the same for 10 years? Do you make the same yearly income you did in 2000? Do you drive the same truck, ride the same sled

Hmm, I'm making 1/2 of what I made in 2000. And I'm still driving a '99 Ford F-250 and riding a '97 Summit.

The bottom line is that EVERYTHING in life goes up in price, the fact we have gone so long without an increase is amazing, and it's the whole reason it is feeling like such a 'shock' now.

I think most would agree that Snowmobile Program costs have legitimately increased and more funding is needed. But mentally, many can't wrap their heads around such large percentage increases. The $40 increase voted on in March was more than a 100% increase. Yowza! How would you feel if milk went from $2.50 to $5.00 a gallon? Gas from $4.00 to $8.00? A new sled from $11,000 to $22,000?!

For cripe's sake we are talking about increasing the fee for the entire year by the amount you spend on food and gas for your sled in 1 FREAKING DAY!!!!

While I understand the sentiment, I'd like to make a couple of points. First, families take a larger hit. People keep saying "it's only $40 more". At the Summer Meeting, I kept hearing "it's only $20" more. Well, we had already passed a motion seeking a $40 sno-park permit, so it was actually $60 more. But let's look at a family. For example, I've been registerng four sleds for my family. Last year I paid $120 (plus fees) to register them. With the sno-park permit fee, I'd be up to $160. Tack on the $10 registration fee increase from the first year, I'm up to $200. The next year $240. (It's worth noting at this time that the $120 I paid last year actually put $240+ into the program when you also factor in the current fuel tax refund. After the increases, I would put in $360+)

Why do you suppose there were only 28,000+ registered snomwobiles last year? I've heard some say it is because of the poor grooming. That may account for some. Snow conditions may also account for some. But I don't think anyone will argue the biggest reason for the decline is the economy. So while some have left the sport, (temporarily I would guess), others are right on the edge. They may only get out and ride once or twice a year at this point. It won't take much of an increase to price these folks out.

Consider too the passion for the sport. Obviously those posting to this thread are passionate. But I'm not so sure the average snowmobiler carries the same enthusiasm. Given the short season, how much do you think they are willing to spend? And consider other interests. For my family, we own ATVs, an (old) boat, a (not new) motorhome; we have other recreational activities that also cost a significant amount of money to enjoy.

The most important thought you need to come away with is:

For every snowmobile not registered, for whatever reason, our Program loses $60+.

Raising fees will cause some people to stop paying. The more they have to pay... and this is part of the mental aspect that needs to be considered... the more that will choose not to. So one person pulling $60 out of Program means one of the remaining sledders is going to be making up the difference. (This assumes the remaining sledder is paying his original $30, earning the $30 from the fuel tax, paying the additional $20 registration increase and buys the $40 sno-park permit.) So to actually put extra money in the program, it will take two snowmobilers, since the first one was needed to make up the loss of he one who walked away.

State Parks has confirmed when the non-motorized sno-park permit fees went into effect, some users walked away, at least temporarily. They said it was about three years before the numbers returned. How many more snowmobilers can we afford to walk away today... even if they come back in three years?

I'll probably cut the registration for all the sleds but my primary. There's no way I'm buying more than one parking pass either if I'm required to buy one with each sled registration. I used to register all my sleds even if the others were rarely used. Not anymore.

Of course you would only need to purchase as many sno-park permits as you need... and it would be nice to see them transferable... at a minimum between two vehicles like the Discover Pass. (This is not an issue being pursued at the moment though.)

But I find myself in a similar position. Although I've been registering four sleds, my family consists of three. My wife rides once a year, and sometimes under protest. My daughter rides a couple of times. I've been registering extra sleds to help the program and to have extra available, just in case. I'm not sure I'm going to keep doing this. I could easily cut two with no real impact on me... just the Snowmobile Program... I've talked to others who also register extra sleds jut because and they've indicated they probably won't anymore.

We are so over-taxed right now that anytime the gov't, any gov't, gets in my pocket it pizzs me off.

Bingo! This is where I'm at. As well as other WSSA Board members. This is the reason WSSA has been working our butt off in repealing the fuel tax cap. Dan, (and others, I'm not just picking on him), doesn't believe this is ever going to happen, and never seems to include this in the discussion when hammering on WSSA for not being quick to try to raise our fees. While some feel WSSA is doing nothing, the fact is we are working the legislature to get OUR money back. They give us approximately 24 cents, but are keeping 13 more we should be receiving. On 28,000 sled registrations, that is nearly $500,000. Is it going to happen? I say yes. No, I don't know for sure. But when you have the democrat leaders of the Transporation Committees supporting us, key democrats on those committees sponsoring our legislation, with leading republicans as co-sponsors, and a coalition of users (boaters, OHVers, hikers, bikers, etc. also supporting, the future looks pretty bright.

But there is a problem. While we've been working on this, sled registrations have dropped, and Program costs have continued to rise. So most of the WSSA Board agrees some... limited... fee increases are needed to make up the difference.

But we have a pay to play system right now that seems like it works pretty well but is under funded because less people are "playing". We need more "players" or more per player or we do with less.

And here is the true problem. We have less playing. Fix the economy, and we'll have more players. Until then, we should be doing with less.

Less players because the sport is expensive and the economy sucks. So why the hell make it more expensive for the few that remain. It is the fundamental question facing our country. We must toughen up and take care of our self. Times are tough and until things get better we need to be more self sufficient and "do with less" instead of punishing the few that remain by taxing the crap out of them. Just my 2cents.

BINGO, GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE!

This is the point I've been trying to make. This is the position many WSSA Board members hold. You can't pile the deficit on the backs of the remaining snowmobilers. It's not fair, but beyond that, some of them can't and won't take it. If you want to fix the program, register more sleds. It's pretty simple really!

WSSA - I quit you!! Take me off your list and don't ask for one more cent from me until you get rid of these old-school idiots that are stuck in the 80's with user-fees!! You will get my formal request to take me off your list today.

I hope this 'old-school idiot' has explained my reasoning for voting the way I have. As I've said, most of the others who have voted the same way do it for the same reason. The point is we feel there is a lot more to consider than just the cost of the increase. We worry about the effects, and just as importantly, the root problem (less sled registrations.)

It should be noted too our lobbyists have warned us that if we fill our funding gap with fee increases, we'll likely never see the full fuel tax refund. Given that is free money, our money stolen from us, many of us aren't willing to let that go. (And I'm always surprised when I hear snowmobilers so quick to give it up - most of us are small government, fair goverment people!)

I did see your e-mail sent to the President asking to be removed. If you still feel that way, we can make it happen for you.

You want to boycott the one of the only voices for snowmobiling in Washington? In case you have not heard, greenies are working diligently on getting snowmobiles banned from as many areas as they possibly can. Yes these people may be old school and not perfect, but at least they care enough to be involved. Sadly, the same can't be said for most snowmobilers. would you give up your free time to attend the WSSA summer meetings? By boycotting WSSA do you really think that will help our sport?

Well said. It is important to look at everything WSSA does. While you may not agree on the fee issue, we are involved in land-use issues and other things that affect our sport. We are Expo, and I'm sure everyone enjoys that weekend. And we've been very successful in helping clubs with our Trail Grant Program, and we have a Scholarship Program.

WSSA needs new blood. And, to answer your question, I would give up time for more summer meetings if I thought I could make a difference but it's pointless.

I don't think there is a Board or Committee member in WSSA that doesn't agree with you 100%! We need new blood!

But I don't see you volunteering. Not many are. I've been the Publicity Secretray since 2004 and I've not heard from anyone who is interested in taking over. (It's an elected Board position, but I wouldn't run against anyone who wants it [assuming they really want to do the job to the best of their ability].) Fact is we have to twist arms to get people to represent the districts arond the state, not to mention to run for Pres/Vice Pres/Sec/Treas. We have a gap right now... we need a Chair or two for the 2014 Winter Rendezvous. And my wife would like to not be the Chair WSSA Awards anymore either. STEP UP!

I enjoy being a part of WSSA. I've learned A LOT. I've been able to travel all across he country, and even snowmobile in some new places in and out of state. But on the other hand, it takes a lot of my time. My spare time is consumed with working on WSSA projects and the Snoflyer. As for time for snowmobiling... I don't have much, unless it is associated with a WSSA event.

I'm not complaining. But I don't appreciate being degraded by somebody who isn't involved.

There is nothing stopping any of us from donating money or time to the grooming program. This is our snomobile program it's up to all of us to make it a success or not.

Ah, this brings me to the next thing... As pointed out by Dan, we aren't going to see any new money on the snow until the 2014/2015 winter, and that assumes the legislation passes.

But WSSA is offering you an opportunity to help the Program for this winter. A resolution was passed at the Summer Meeting to match your donations, up to $25,000, to the Snowmobile Program. What you need to do is write a check to WSSA, designate it for the Snowmobile Program, and we'll forward that amount, plus an equal amount, to State Parks. If you make a $50 donation, State Parks will receive $100.

So, no matter your opinion of WSSA, it's leadership, goals, or whatever, if you were going to make a donation, please funnel it through WSSA to receive the match.

I will be adding a registration to an additional sled this year.

And my final comment... Everyone should do this... because a snowmobile registered this season is funding next season's Program. We are talking the 2013/2014 winter. WSSA's fundraiser is for the 2012/2013 winter. Fee increases will help in the 2014/2015 winter. That leaves a gap for 2013/2014, which can be fllled by an increase of sled registrations this winter.

It's your Program.

catzr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Selah
WSSA SUMMER MEETING

Awesome mdmead, Your response is very accurate and boils down alot if information into a condensed form. 16,000 households with sleds registered have the opportunity to read this information in some form or another, I only wish they would. I thing to point out is different parts of the state have different issues involving snowmobiling. Be it land access, sno-park plowing, or trail grooming, and the State Parks Winter Rec. Program tries to address all of these with input and cooperation with the users.

greg.f

Premium Member
May 7, 2008
President of a Local Clubs Views

Thank you Matt for responding to all the issues. I would get a writer’s cramp typing all of that for sure!!

As Matt notes the gas tax sharing is something we need to pay close attention to as it money we already pay out of our pocket. In the past I have been very skeptical that we would see an increase in the gas tax as well. This year is different! This time the increase is not tied to trying to re-allocate an already spoken for fund. The legislature is putting forward a transportation package that would increase the gas tax and potentially some fees. This would apply to all fuel sold at the gas pumps. For our support they are willing to right the wrong of taking our gas tax money away from us. Since it is based on a tax increase we would get another 20-23 cents a gallon. Our lobbyist estimates this at about $750,000 per year of additional funds.

Let's take a look at the numbers and see what this and other things do:

Shortfall in the grooming program (per state parks) in round numbers:

$800,000 per year

Source of additional Income:

Funds from the gas tax increase (if passed) $750,000 /year
Funds from $40 Sno-Park Permit $400,000 /year
Funds from $20 Registration Increase $600,000 /year
Total Increase in Funds $1,750,000 /year
Net Difference $950,000 /year surplus

Some things to consider in this are:

1. The gas tax is money we already pay and would not result in an increase in fees for us.

2. I am not sure if the shortfall includes monies for replacement of groomers or putting some into a reserve account. May need to round this up to a $1,000,000 or a little more per year.

3. If we rush forward with all the fee increases the legislature may see us as fully funded and continue to take our gas tax allocation as we do not need it.

4. If we do get the gas tax the need for user fees is dramatically decreased to have a good winter grooming program.

5. If the gas tax fails then you may need the fees to fully restore the program or make do with less.

We are all good at many things but navigation of the State Legislature is one that we need to trust the experts we have hired to help us with this. That is why I am advocating that we play this smart to increase our chances of getting this gas tax money.

I have been reading about the motorcycle, ATV, marine monies that were stolen (swept) by the legislature and left our cousins as such high and dry in an effort to balance the state budget. This could very easily be applied to us. Our lobbyist can help us with this too, if we let him. I do not want to end up with the gates locked like they did out of no fault of their own. In fact they have been very vigilant and have sued the State trying to get these funds back. Have not seen that this has worked yet.

I have been involved with land issues for some years and this will continue to be an area that we need to be watchful as storm clouds seem to gather at almost regular intervals. Time and money will be needed to keep our trails and play areas open. We need to save some coins in the pocket for these fights too.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Seriously it costs me $100 minimum a day to ride for food, beer, truck and sled fuel, and oil. Thats if I dont break anything. The increase is so small in the larger scheme of things for the cost of a season of riding it you ask me in June where my extra $40 went I would laugh. I head north to BC all the time and its $20 a day at the trailhead and my sled has to be registered anyways or they wont let you across the border.

Like Joe said the greenies are using the claim that they are the largest user group in the mountains and need more space to close us out of our riding areas. Not registering hurts our sport in more ways than one. No one wants to spend any loot they dont have to but this increase is small potatoes....

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Matt ,,, great job,

Matt good job of explaining some of the things way better than me. You are the man and have done a lot for WSSA and I for one REALLY appreciate that. By "cheep skates" I wasnt picking on you or anyone in peticular. I just think that after all these years of the same fee, that $15 or $ 20 more per sled would not kill any of us or make us quit the sport. A lot of the WSSA board members barely ride a few times a year so they dont notice the change like some of us have. I've seen the drastick decrease in grooming, the wore out groomers the state owns, less plowing ect ect. Many of the private groomers are having a hard time making ends meet. None of them are getting rich. There will be a time when they pull the plug and say for the money they get it's not worth it. I"m all for the gas tax, but I"ve also been hearing this for years and years. Yes it would be great and really change our program. I'm just not sure Olympia is willing to give it up based on there financial situation. It seems we are closer but time will tell. With this transportation package,,,,, maybe we do have a chance but for now, those of us who still like to get out and ride once a week or so, we need help. This tuff economy has hurt us all, After 37 years in business we came with in inches of loosing it all over here and thats no joke. Lets all smile and keep working !

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Register your sleds people!! :face-icon-small-dis
I have been riding since 1972....going to 3-4 of the popular sno-park and riding areas in the state on a regular basis and there is no question in my mind that all of these areas have more trucks in the lot and more sleds on the hill than ANY time before. If there are fewer sleds being registered, it's not because there are fewer people in the sport. Go to most snoparks after 9am and you will find yourself having to get creative with parking. Areas we have had to ourselves for decades now have dozens of vehicles.
Go to Stampede, SLsac or Baker on any weekend and tell me there are fewer people in the sport.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I'm sure you know this, but keep in mind that not a dime of that "registration" money you paid when you moved to WA actually went into the snowmobile program. That was Washington state Sales Tax, or Use tax whatever they call it based on the value of your machines. Well, you probably did pay into the snowmobile program but it would have only been $35 or $40 per sled.

I know.:face-icon-small-fro
Just like none of the Use tax on my boat goes towards putting in some decent ramps at Sammamish in place of the ones that try to tear the undercarriage out of your boat trailer!
ANd it's not a one time tax. These all were/are used machines that had tax paid once when they were bought new and potentially a 2nd time when bought used by me. (Paid cash used and no tax structure for used rec veh purchases in CO, so at least I got by for free once, haha.)
I got no problem paying double the going rate for sled regsistration if it helps the sport, but I have a feeling that any state that can "tax" you on your previously owned personal property just for bringing it across the state line probably is funneling sled reg money towards something that's not in the mountians!
If you read up on it, WA has personal property tax on "everything."
By law if you buy an old bed bug ridden sofa off of Craigslist, you're supposed to send in the tax on the purchase price!

Oh, and thanks to all you guys who are putting in an inordinate amount of time to help ALL snowmobilers.

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Pretty obvious that there are lots of passionate people on the several sides of this issue represented here. Cause it's not just "pay" or "don't pay".
EBB, I love your passion, but you compleatly lost me with your post . . . .?
Personally, we (myself and my Wonderful Wife) are putting our money where our passion is,
1. We have always tabbed all our sleds, even the non runners, just to help put money in the coffers and bump our numbers to the bean counters.
2. We have always pointed out the error of folks handing out the extra 'free' snopark permits they have to others that have not registered thier sled to get a free one.
3. Have even paid the registration fee for a couple of friends that are having a tough time in the current economy.
4. We primarily ride out of Discover Pass area, or use a private snopark that we also have to pay a contractor to keep clear . . . and that we let others park in!
5. Now, we will continue the above, but also purchase an extra snopark permit to help out.

And anyone that thinks we are well off is sorely mistaken!! We are just dedicated to our sport and make other sacrifices so we can make the hard choice and support our sport.

Trust me when I tell you that I am painfully aware of how frustrating the Forest Service can be. Believe me I live with that frustration every day.
I am also just as pizzed about the taxation level we endure here, but, chucking it all and 'riding whereever I want whenever I want' will only damage the sport even more than your non support, and yes, I will step up and do what I can to enforce the rules, because they are our rules and if you don't like them you should work to change them into something better, not thumb your nose and hurt everyone else with your 'fit'. So if you want to hurt our sport by not getting the proper paperwork in order, don't be surprised to find out I have helped spread the news of your rebelion to the proper law enforcement folks to help you make your point.

That's what you wanted, right?

I would encourage all of us to be active in the local issues, and to support the good folks that look out for the larger area issues. It just makes sense, economically, socially and as fans of the same sport.

This isn't the time or place for "I'll just take my ball and go home!". Unfortunatly, without the people you choose to laugh at that are willing to work with the system, you are going to find parking area's closed off, access severly limited and it will get more difficult and more expensive to ride.

Sure makes more sense to me . . .

Bag

greg.f

Premium Member
May 7, 2008
I am all for fixing the program we have now that is in serious financial straits which I think most of us would agree is the case. However, I cannot support raising fees beyound what the need is to restore the program. State Parks own number is around $1,100,000 to restore the program and budget funds to replace the aging groomers. Why do we need to raise $1,800,000?

The part that concerns me is if we cannot show a need we most likely will never see the gas tax monies shared with us. We need to understand that there has been a group of folks that have worked hard behind the scenes to make this gas tax a reality this year. Given the State buedget issues there are plenty of other places that can show a need for this money.

I say lets fix the program but lets be smart about it. I do not want to see sled registrations fall as that hurts us even more.

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
not sure where the 1.1 came from,

we need 2.5 million to get us to where we were 5 years ago. with a $10 sled reg fee increase, $ 280,000 plus a $ 40 snopark permit ( selling aprox 9,000 of them ) 360,000 we only raise another $ 640,000 , that still doesnt get us to where we used to be, Plus we have to replace about a million in old wore out groomers the state owns ????? the new fee's really are only a temporary fix but will help alot

Premium Features