• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AFR Tuning questions

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
So quick question about tuning… When coming down off higher RPM at 0% throttle the AFR sky rockets to the lean side, I tried to tune it out to some extent but couldn't get it even close. I see from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6mxVeA5A4 that even the sleds at Dakota Perf are doing this. Is this an issue? If I push the throttle to any extent at all it will go back down to around 13.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
just remember after a real hard tough pull its better to putz around or feather the throttle back and forth then think your doing it a favor by letting it go straight to idle..

K

kkhaos

Dec 1, 2007
MN
A/F Gauge

I think some of the issues with tuning and everyone's numbers being different are the accuracy of the A/F gauge. I run 2 A/F gauges and they easily read .5 to 1 full number off. I even tried per the directions to calibrate the sensor.
(The book states... Calibrate at elevation change and every hour if using leaded fuels, Must remove sensor to calibrate).

How many people calibrate there sensor? 1 maybe out of 100?

I run a NGK AFX Gauge with a wideband sensor 91101 and a AEM A/F gauge.

20131130_101248.jpg

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Alright so what are your guys gauges reading in the mid range and at idle? I know everyone will be different and everyone will have a different sweet spot, I'm just scared of leaning it out to much. Right now my idle is around 14.5 and my mid range is generally in the 12-13.5 range. Pretty sure thats WAY to fat in the mid range from how it rides but I just want some confirmation I'm not going to melt my motor going leaner. Top end is way fat too but thats not what we are talking about, it still rips up there :thumb:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Before you go and change the sensor make sure all your wiring is tight and there's no shorts or anything like that. Also try cleaning the sensor itself.

Kenny_h2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2012
Before you go and change the sensor make sure all your wiring is tight and there's no shorts or anything like that. Also try cleaning the sensor itself.

How would you clean your sensor, I was always told that they're not meant to be cleaned in any way. I was thinking brake clean or something?

I have a few that could be cleaned, Lead in AV Gas bungs them up fast.

Premium Features