• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A fix for broken hood tabs

rsp111

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You can't even see the screws when the hood is done up, and they are so small you don't even notice them otherwise, to me having an extra big hunk of metal on my hood is more red neck then my solution. It took me less then a miniute to Fix, I'll bet it takes a couple hours to install these, but go ahead all you Rednecks, waste your time and money on a product like this because big hunks of metal look so much better then small ones.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
You can't even see the screws when the hood is done up, and they are so small you don't even notice them otherwise, to me having an extra big hunk of metal on my hood is more red neck then my solution. It took me less then a miniute to Fix, I'll bet it takes a couple hours to install these, but go ahead all you Rednecks, waste your time and money on a product like this because big hunks of metal look so much better then small ones.

Couple of hours if you had one hand and you were missing your thumb.

I don't have a cat (yet, snowchecked the M8 LE), but it looks like a nice product, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when mine break. I sure as hell am not going to use a damn screw, not as a permanent solution anyway.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians

Thanks that was insightful. :confused:

If you want to look as far as wasting money......how much is a hood. That is after your screaw breaks the small molded nub off and your hood opens on a roll.:rolleyes:

I left you a rep for pissing on my thread, thanks !

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
Thanks that was insightful. :confused:

If you want to look as far as wasting money......how much is a hood. That is after your screaw breaks the small molded nub off and your hood opens on a roll.:rolleyes:

I left you a rep for pissing on my thread, thanks !

don't think nothin of it, he is just pissed that his minimum wage job won't let him afford your well thought out product!!;)

are they aluminum?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
they look good, i'll keep them in mind if mine ever break. so far they've held up for over three years and many a roll overs. i guess i better go knock on some wood now.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Two thumbs..........

You have a great thing going here.......I'm saving the post.........best of luck.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
If you don't like them - don't buy them. It IS that simple. And if it would take you 2 hours to install these , you have bigger issues. He has a good idea / fix - why negate it ?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Update..............

Took yesterday afternoon and made a few sets for folks who ordered.

I made some changes to the original design pictured. They are now .060" shorter making them around .030-040" taller then the plastic tabs. (Less then a 50th of a inch)

I also worked out a better finish. Polished they should hold less snow and ice.

I am kind of jealous they turned out better then the set on my sled :mad:

Anyways, I have a few sets available polished or rough machined.

If you just ordered a set these are yours and will be in the mail either tomarrow or monday :D

M8HoodTabs001.jpg

M8HoodTabs002.jpg

M8HoodTabs003.jpg

Last edited:
W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
good job!

Nice work man, if you are making these on a manual mill I can see the amount of time you have in them.

You may have created a monster, those polished ones look good, good luck keeping up with demand.

Now lets make a fix for the crappy tabs that hold the hood when it's open. One of mine broke this year, the end of the little cable deal.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Nice work man, if you are making these on a manual mill I can see the amount of time you have in them.

You may have created a monster, those polished ones look good, good luck keeping up with demand.

Now lets make a fix for the crappy tabs that hold the hood when it's open. One of mine broke this year, the end of the little cable deal.

Thanks,

They take some time on a manual mill, but its fun.

I havent seen too many of the cable stays breaking but, I could see how, there isnt much material there.....

May have to work on that................:D

O
Nov 29, 2007
Looks like a great product. I have never broke them off, but I have owned three M series sleds now and I have broken atleast one cable tie-down at the front on each of the sleds so let me know if you create a great design for them as I would probably keep ya in business on my own! :)

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
I dont have many miles or rolls on my M8 yet, but I am sure I will probably need a set of these!!!!!! Looks like a great fix!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
would it be worth contacting a shop with a cnc set up and getting them mass produced?

I have looked into it. Reality is, I would need to produce 50 pair via cnc to get the cost to the high $30's (37-39). If I doubled that at 100 pair I could sell them down to around $31-33.At 500 pair I could sell them for $27ish. Understanding, this is gross machined, still leaving quite a bit of finish work.

To date I have sold, including pending orders 15ish pair.

Its a matter of demand and a investment which if made, could never pay for its self. For the time being, I enjoy machining and making stuff. So even at the $2-3 a hour I make........its a hobby not a job.

At the end of the day I make a little gas money for sledding and get folks some parts they need. I am looking at a cheaper supply for alum so I am hoping the next run I can do a little cheaper this fall.

Take care

:beer;

Premium Features