• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Christmas Wish

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
A Christmas Wish to all my SW brothers and sisters. It has been another great year for my family and I with many roads leading back to the people I have met and the experiences I have had due to the folks on this site. Have a safe season and a Great New Year. EW

December 21st has past, I’m still writing this, the Mayans were wrong. Good thing. As Christmas approaches winter is here, most lights are up and I eagerly await the Chia Pet commercials that will replace the political ads that echo in my TV mind. Even though I’m no longer in the business, my internal clock seems to think there is snow I’m required to plow out there some where. It’s so nice not to have to be somewhere on time this morning. A quick look at the online news only has a couple references to Christmas and both of those are either fund raising or fiscal cliff related. It got me thinking about Christmas. I tend to use and experience the word Christmas in two different references. The first is the recognition and celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. The second is what we so commonly call the Christmas Season or Holiday Season if the word and belief in Christ soggy’s your Grape Nuts. (There’s a red spelling error line under my word soggy’s, but I like it anyway.)

The Christmas Season (typically the month of December) seems to be a pretty universal designation that for me has included historical trimmings such as radiant sweaters, warm hand shakes, cold nights, and a lot of fond memories of friends, family, and goodwill. The goodwill is the part that I most enjoy reflecting on and taking part in during this time of year. Each year that goodwill results in some really inspiring stories of kindness and giving related to the Christmas Season. I have always looked forward to witnessing and participating in these “seasonal” gestures that are some of my fondest and proudest memories.

I wish there was a way to bottle up the joyous frame of mind that we experience, provide, and share in abundance with each other this time of year and put it into the pantry next to the Worchestershire (another red line, no h after the c in Worcestershire). If we all had Christmas Joy stored up on our shelves we could pull it out and add a dash to our daily lives as needed during the rest of the year. How cool would that be? Imagine being able to preserve that rewarding kindness, patience, tolerance, and selflessness you feel during the Christmas Season and being able to shake a few drops onto yourself later in the year when that voice on the other end of you credit card inquiry just can’t get it right and you are about to go postal. Imagine how much our local referee’s, coaches, traffic flaggers, pedestrians, train engineers, and elected officials would appreciate having a few bottles of the stuff on hand and readily available just incase. The ladies at the car tabs office would probably keep it in a Super Soaker. No doubt all our family members would keep a bottle in the guest room and our coworkers would have one for us to use liberally as needed in the work place.

This stuff would sell itself. You wouldn’t even need to market it with “call in the next two minutes”, or be promised a double sized bottle or curly fry maker to get you to have it on hand.

I think Christmas joy and goodwill has all the potential in the world to be used the other 11 months of the year as well. The challenge is remembering that it IS readily available even though there is no bottle to look at on the shelf. All we need to do is look within ourselves.

I first became aware of this limited or seasonal usage and under utilization of Christmas Joy many years ago during a Christmas time trip to Coeur d’ Alene. I had taken my crew there for a fun holiday get away and a chance to experience all the awesome lights, decorations, and great food that CDA has to offer during Christmas. I woke up early on Sunday morning thinking about the brunch we were going to have later and how good it all is. The view over the lake was incredible and the snow layer was cold enough to have that squeaky sound coming from it when you walked on it. I decided to take a morning stroll on the docks and through the city streets. I wandered into one of the local stores that was just opening up for the day. As I was looking around I noticed a Tree of Sharing with a few names left on it. I plucked off a couple of the name cards and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Just a little background here, I have worked with toy acquisition for Operation Santa locally for over 20 years. In that time I have seen gift requests that you wouldn’t believe. That’s another story for another day.

Anyway, as I was looking at the requests from local kids in CDA I saw wish items like shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, stuff like that. I was completely puzzled by these requests. I asked the store guy what the deal was and he just casually said “oh, those are Children’s Village kids”. After a long chat I figured out that Children’s Village was a privately operated home for kids in the CDA area with no other options or places to live. The kids who are residents at Children’s Village (CV) are taught from an early age how to budget and manage their funds. They are given monthly allowances and are then responsible to provide to a certain extent for their own personal needs. The lesson is that if a kid spends all his or her allowance on movies or CD’s then they are probably going to be brushing their teeth with their finger for the next month. Kids are smart and I think we often under estimate their ability to reason. CV kids had figured out that for one month of the year most of us are exceedingly generous and abundant with kindness and giving. The resulting effect for them was receiving the huge Costco size triple shrink wrapped shampoo as a Christmas gift which in turn freed up their cash flow for other items of their own choosing for months to come. For these kids getting the shampoo and freeing up cash for what they like was a much safer gamble than the possible yellow or green sweater that you or I might get them based on our own sometimes dated tastes.

Kelly and I have been supporters of the Children’s Village effort ever since. I have never forgotten the deeper meaning and realization of my Sunday morning in CDA when I realized for the first time that exceeding kindness, patients, and generosity in our society can sometimes be all packaged into the same month each year leaving the other 11 months a little starved for the acts of goodness and compassion that make December such a stand out. Even little kids in CDA have figured this out.

For me, the positive energy that I put out in efforts to benefit others comes back to me in the form of pride, joy, happiness, and self fulfillment. These are all great flavors in life that can be enjoyed any month of the year just like adding a dash of that Worcestershire to the hamburgers in July or the chili in October.

Keeping a ready dose of Christmas time joy in your hearts for the entire year is my Christmas wish for all of you who are my friends and family. I sincerely hope that the joys of the season stay with you and yours as you enter into the New Year and beyond. I hope the New Year brings you lots of shampoo so you are free to spread your other blessings as you see fit on all the people and purposes in your lives that are important and rewarding to you. A good friend of mine once said “to live in abundance yourself, you must participate in abundance for others”. I’m a real believer in this statement and I believe its meaning was meant for more months of the year than December. I hope you enjoy and celebrate Christmas and all that it means in abundance for yourself and others. As you move into the New Year and the coming months, don’t forget where you keep your Christmas time Joy and Generosity just incase you or I need a shake or two to get that great flavor back in your life and the lives of those around.

In closing I would like to take a moment to pray for and reflect on our brothers and sisters in the military, our family, friends, and those dealing with hardships, and most recently the victims of the tragic shootings and all those affected by their loss. It is my hope that those who are grieving will be surrounded by evidence and true understandings of the sorrow, compassion, and loving support of a nation praying for their healing and strength at such a challenging time.

My family and I are grateful to all of you for your friendship and being in our lives. We are aware of and thankful for all the blessings we have received this past year and we know that without all of you these blessings would be far fewer and way less fun. We are truly fortunate.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and All the Best to you and yours in 2013.

EricW

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Amen brother,, my wife and I are in an uncomfortable place at the moment but HE has blessed us time and again with great understanding people.. So much so that this year for the first time in many years we have been able to have some things because of blessing others.. You are right when you say take the bottle of JOY off the shelf and use it through out the year.. I believe there is one more go around left before the enemy is cut loose, so for some it is a time to get right with GOD. I make no apologies for my faith pick up THE BOOK what is going on in the world now is in there..
Blessings Eric
Kelly & Cheryl

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
EW you are the man so often you can put into words what some of us can not. I agree with you on this and from us to you merry christmas my friend. With out souls such as your self our world would surely be lost.I hope more blessing come your way.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
EW you are the man so often you can put into words what some of us can not. I agree with you on this and from us to you merry christmas my friend. With out souls such as your self our world would surely be lost.I hope more blessing come your way.

Couldn't have said it better myself, thanks.

EricW, very well written post and a great meaning behind it. Wish you the best for 2013.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Thanks for the kind words all. After my wife read my wish last night she shared with me some insights that are just a part of the many reasons why I love her.

She said you wrote a great message there that applies to the large majority of people who see life and Christmas through positive and grateful glasses. Do you know though that there are many people who don't experience the seasonal joy that you talk of bottling up. In fact, she said, for many it is just the opposite. The Christmas Season can bring sorrow, sadness, and depression for many that nobody wants to bottle up for the rest of the year.

I had never given this a thought or ever experienced anything but joy this time of year. She went on to tell me of students (she is recently a highschool teacher) that were not looking forward to the Christmas break because it did mean more time spent at home and with family which was not always a good thing for them. Abuse, hunger, social isolation, and the glaring fact that Christmas isn't always rewarding for all good boys and girls were just a few of the reasons that she cited based on first hand relationships with these kids. For them she explained, the cafeteria, friends, caring adults, heat, and a largely positive environment were the joyous times in their lives and those times were found at school not always at home and almost never at Christmas.

She also went on totalk about people who have lost loved ones or who don't have a lot of family around them and how the Christmas Season can emphasize and bring to the forefront all the realities of their losses or situations and the sadness that can be a part of it all.

I was aware to some degree of all the things she was talking about but I have never experienced it myself and never considered any of it when I wrote what I did about the abundance of Christmas Joy we all have this time of year. I know that most of us do, but I want to be sure to identify and recognize that some of us don't, and my wish didn't address or recognize those of us who experience sadness during this time of year. No amount of music or pretty lights is going to change that.

Maybe this is also a good time for those of us who have been blessed with the Joys of the Season to try and seek out and support those among us who are not feeling the same way. Maybe there is opportunity out there for us support or at a minimum just recognize and sympathize with those who are not having the same feelings and experiences we are. Maybe our wish should be based on being there for them as comparatively our wishes have already been met if we are feeling joy.

I want those that my Christmas Wish doesn't relate to to know that I am now thinking of you too and though I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, I would try to walk with you if I knew where and when you were walking. I have no doubt most on here feel the same way too, I have seen it lots of times.

Make sure you check out the vidin the thread " Merry Christmas Everyone" by bholmlate in this section. It is inspiration and will get ya thinking. Warning, don't watch it if you need to look masculine in front of anyone, it's pretty heartfelt. My yellow dog said I looked conflicting as I prepped a 22 pistol to be gift wrapped for my nephew while tearing up watching a YouTube. Glad he was the only one that was watching.

I love my wife, probably why they call them our better have's. Better have one, lol. EW

Last edited:
Premium Features