• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.8 miles and seized!

S
Sep 25, 2011
I have never been a fan of heat cycling and engine. There is not the proper load applied to seat seat the rings correctly.

The cyclinder hatch only last so long. If you wear the hatch flat before the rings seat, they you will have blow by. Now, also with heat cycling, I dont ever like to see the heat light come on.

I would much rather have the sled warm up really well, then put a few light miles on the sled (under half throttle), then give it some good WOT bursts. You are not going to seat the rings at idle... no matter how hot it gets.

I would also have to agree that the sled ingested something. I am interested in seeing pics of those cylinders though. Hope your dealer will comply.

I agree.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
If they can not get your sled together maybe they will get you a loaner. We had an 09 M8 go down and our dealer let us have a loaner until it was fixed.They put a complete new engine in it. It went around 5 miles, oil pump went belly up and seized the crank.

Sam

i doubt the people in kallispell are going to give him a loaner...he didn't buy it from them...this could also be the reason why they can't get to it until next week as well...

sucks a$$...have a round on me tonight hooch...CHEERS!!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Cold seize. Cold seize. Cold seize.

Did I mention that it sounds like a cold seize.

First thing that came to my mind when he told me, i asked if it was up to temp before he hopped on it cold seize is not the case here but it does have those symptoms "damn wiescos'' lol is usally the case

A
May 18, 2004
NW Montana
HAHAHHAHAHAAHHA!!! not to be a di$k but newer is not always better!!! I dont know if I can Ride around you now ,Craig and Paul will never shut up so there is no chance for me and the m1000!!! hope they get it done fast took 3 months for my bulkhead back a few years!!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
In 09 there where some failures, thats when we started to here about running them on a stand varying the throttle until temp light flashed and do it for a little longer. When they started doing it the failures stopped.
Some of you say break in doesn't matter but it all depends on tolerances, if they are tight you need break in just ask anyone with a cpc 1000 dragon cat.

Even my 09 m1000 scuffed with 57miles on it, happened after 6 miles on the trail riding easy and it died, restarted and ran it for another 200miles and wouldn't do anymore damage, I tried to blow the motor and no go. I have even scuffed both pistons on a m1000 and kept riding. But eventually it wouldn't and had to add +60 on the bd box to make it fire. It increased the compression enough and I made it out. Never had one stick though other than a piston falling apart or crank go out.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Already a few rounds in to the night pretty easy to drink the pain away hahaha

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

L

luv2sledmt

Dec 15, 2008
C. Falls, MT
Fastoys in kalispell is not a good dealer whatsoever. Usually cheap inexperienced mechanical help and a pizz poor attitude. Wouldn't count on a loaner... Hope the best for ya hooch.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Ok one thing that can be ruled out is first year growing pains as far as the motor. This motor is stout! With that being said is it human error? Pinched oil line, air bubbles, debri in the airbox? There are many possibilites. Bad batch of motors from Suzuki? Can happen! usually not, but in 2007 I received a complete motor replacement for my M1000 as Suzuki identified approximatley 100 enigines that were out of spec from the factory in Japan a crank deal. This will be interesting as we have heard of others going down. :face-icon-small-con

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Bad deal! I also got my pro m8 from missoula and completely went though the sled checking everything and tightening bolts that were lose. Ran the sled for the first time today in 3 feet of powder and ran great.I just mixed the gas 100/1 let it warm up for a few minutes than rode it like it was my buddy's sled for 30 miles. I thank alot is the dealer you get the sled from I had alot of adjustments to make! I've been though this on mym1000 i i got from them a few years ago.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
The throttle body boot clamps were lose, tighten the oiler jam nut, my pull rope was rubbing .air box seal was comming off.bumper bolts were not tight at all. Toped off coolent.I did this the first day I got it home as I know they don't. Take some pride in your work dealers!!!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Like I've said there was plenty of smoke, so she was def getting oil! There is something major going on here! But it ok I'm wasted right now so it's better for the night hahahahahahajahahahahahahahahaha

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

M
Feb 27, 2010
Talked to a tech at Cat this morning, they haven't recomended "heat cycling" since the 09's. Check your oil pump settings, he recommended checking for air bubbles in the oil lines, tip the sled on the left side to allow them to work there way out. 100:1 oil mixture for the first tank of gas. Hope this isn't bad news.
well thats funny because we picked up cat in 2010 and thats what we were told todo . but we do live in a area were you can't go do a 20mile road its of the truck and pinned. and if u start your sled and u don't see smoke something must be wrong.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Not saying dealer prep wasn't at fault but when you find a good dealer there's nothing better. Putting in a good word for Jeff at Outlaw in Vegreville.

Also, someone mentioned worrying about melting hyfax when you do a heat cycle and spin the track? Don't worry - when the back end is hiked up there's no real pressure there anyway except a little at the front where the track kicks back up off the drivers and that's pretty minimal too. Nice and easy does it.

Someone else mentioned the rings breaking in on the cylinder wall cross hatching - there's cross hatching on a new plated cylinder wall? That would be different. Maybe I'm missing something with that one......

Premium Features