• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.8 miles and seized!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I start my new motors and let them idle enough to have the exchangers nice and warm. Shut it down and let it cool clear down. About 2 or 3 cycles of this and then fairly easy on the first ride.

Warmup and easy on the throttle for the first couple miles. It doesnt hurt to open it up and let her have a full throttle hit occasionally but no big long pulls.

Ive done this to all my sleds and the only times ive had mechanical problems was due to something stupid I have done later (ie octane boost rather than mixed race gas).

.8 miles it had to have sucked something into it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Hooch

I feel your pain brotha. After i started the Pro Climb issues thread and i checked my oil pump setting and felt it was off i decided to pull my pipe and Y to take a look and sure enough the front side of my PTO piston had a 3/16 wide by about 2 1/2 in long scuff mark. i took it back yesterday morning, dealer pulled it in, tore it down and called me last night to tell me that they ordered to piston and 2 cylinders. I stopped and looked at them and they defintley are scuffed on the back sides of the cylinder as well. Not an oil issue i dont think because the motor a y pipe is wringing wet with APV. They were going to measure the clearances but i havent heard back but they are thinking that the clearances are to tight on mine. I has .2 miles basicly loaded it up when i bought it brought it home and pulled it inthe garage. Glad i looked before it hit the snow

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
I had a buddy years ago that had a brand new ZR 580 burn up. He also made it less than a mile. It turned out that one of the oil injection nipples was not bored out. It was solid, therefore preventing oil from entering that particular cylinder. Poof! Of course Cat covered it under warrenty.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
it was def getting oil it was smoking pretty good it acted like it was getting way too much oil so thats why we checked plugs!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I am really going to raise a few eyebrows with my little post. I call BS on the break in issue. I am sure Hootch did break it in fine. I have ridden many sleds right out of the crate without any heat cycle whatsoever. For the sled to have locked up at less than a mile is definitely bad luck. But guess what, mechanical failures happen. To blame it on improper break in is hogwash. Not in .8 of a mile. There is not going to be an Arctic Cat engine siezure epidemic either.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-con

Sorry for your bad luck, at least the snow is not epic yet.:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Let us know what they find out.

Sam

Last edited:
H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I am really going to raise a few eyebrows with my little post. I call BS on the break in issue. I am sure Hootch did break it in fine. I have ridden many sleds right out of the crate without any heat cycle whatsoever. For the sled to have locked up at less than a mile is definitley bad luck. But guess what, mechanical failures happen. To blame it on improper break in is hogwash. Not in .8 of a mile. There is not going to be an Arctic Cat engine siezure epidemic either.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-con

Sorry for your bad luck, at least the snow is not epic yet.:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

i do agree i highly doubt it was a break in issue something else is going on, and i am glad snow is not good but now i might miss my canada trip

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Cat

Talked to a tech at Cat this morning, they haven't recomended "heat cycling" since the 09's. Check your oil pump settings, he recommended checking for air bubbles in the oil lines, tip the sled on the left side to allow them to work there way out. 100:1 oil mixture for the first tank of gas. Hope this isn't bad news.

G

gordo1

Dec 3, 2007
schroeder, mn.
was just talking about this last night. i've seen this happen more than once.
a guy had his motor done at a shop in minnesota (now out of business) and if i had to guess i would say the sled made it about a half mile and died. same thing started ran alittle more died. started one more time and went alittle more and died. went to pull it over and it was siezed. the problem on this one was the oiler cable wasn't hooked up properly. the cable was but the casing with the locknuts wasn't secured and fell off so when it pulled for oil it just moved the casing and didn't pull the oil pump open.

next time i saw it on a sled that requires premix. (05 speedwerx mod) got it home checked the carbs.. they were clean and had the right jets. ran it and same routine as the sled i just described. died in almost the exact place! this time i realized the gas that was in the tank when i got it was not mixed. the guy i picked it up from was out of town and his friend rode it. it was still running on 114 octane then so i'm guessing when the friend added the fuel and seen it was tinted dark he figured it was mixed. which i found out the hard way it was not!

i guess after reading these horror stories if nobody comes up with a diagnoses i will be mixing my first tank PLENTY rich and keep an eye on my oil level. i really hope it's something simple that is just being overseen by the dealer..

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
i do agree i highly doubt it was a break in issue something else is going on, and i am glad snow is not good but now i might miss my canada trip

If they can not get your sled together maybe they will get you a loaner. We had an 09 M8 go down and our dealer let us have a loaner until it was fixed.They put a complete new engine in it. It went around 5 miles, oil pump went belly up and seized the crank.

Sam

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sorry to tell you Xfire but mine is a M8 retro 153

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
I am really going to raise a few eyebrows with my little post. I call BS on the break in issue. I am sure Hootch did break it in fine. I have ridden many sleds right out of the crate without any heat cycle whatsoever. For the sled to have locked up at less than a mile is definitely bad luck. But guess what, mechanical failures happen. To blame it on improper break in is hogwash. Not in .8 of a mile. There is not going to be an Arctic Cat engine siezure epidemic either.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-con

Sam

I agree with this...and want to add one thing OIL.
We had sleds with no functioning oil injection going 100miles (when new)¨
before they blew....Could not believe it one had incorrect oil pump
and one faulty brass fittings..
A new engine is so soaked up in oil it cannot blow within a mile
has to be other reasons involved..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I wouldn't place any blame on any sort of break-in procedure or lack of...it's a 2-stroke, who breaks in their weedeater?
As said, the best thing is to load/unload them hard as soon as up to temp, load cycles rather than heat cycles.
That sucks though!! .....either no oil from pump or a physical failure...probably something came apart to happen that fast.
Even with no oil they'll run for awhile.
I would attribute it to first year growing pains but the engines been great for years.
Post what they find!

Premium Features