• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

660 long stroked Indy Powersports/Carls Cyc Questions

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
Not sure why I did'nt think of it before any of this... just called Carles Cycle for their prefered sea level set up for 12 Pro R 121". The guy says he needs to dig up a little research and he'll call me back... hopefully I have everything

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd bet the DET is octane related. Sea level, higher compression from the displacement increase, and the tune is probably geared toward higher elevation. Definitely worth adding octane booster or running it with a half and half with 100LL and see if the problem goes away. Another possibility would be if you could add some fuel to the tune. You'd lose some power, but combustion would be cooler and might get you back to the safe side.

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
I'd bet the DET is octane related. Sea level, higher compression from the displacement increase, and the tune is probably geared toward higher elevation. Definitely worth adding octane booster or running it with a half and half with 100LL and see if the problem goes away. Another possibility would be if you could add some fuel to the tune. You'd lose some power, but combustion would be cooler and might get you back to the safe side.

Ah I'm still pushing 120psi both cyls, its long stroked too, with cyl base plate spacers by Indy Specialty. I'm kinda curious if that's having this effect on my rpm... shouldn't, make any difference in RPM is what I was told. 8350. Definitely a torque monster - feels like my m8 800ho.

Carles cycle was the wrong phone call, waited too long today and shoulda just called Indy Specialty. It's their kit, left a message though. They're good dudes.

Anyways, couldnt find my 64g... but I looked at 700 systems. Blue/pink spring and 74g, so I just tried it. Super torquey low/mid range, quicker... lacking top end still... bumpy but looked down at 7700 going 77mph, also seen it top out 8000rpm on the sea ice. Needs back shift work tho. I'll try my other secondary

Last edited:
R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
Fastest clocked so far is 85mph, should definitely be better, dialing in my trail suspension is taking longer than I though though. Finally feels more like riding a (turbulent) cloud now so hopefully I'll get the clutching and confidence to keep up with my local iron dog friends.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I had to take 1.5" out of my pipe in the head section 8600 but its ported for it B/P 61 gram weights OE cut stock team from a 09 700 .
Has a dobeck on it so i tune as needed .
Riding 5 to 10k

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Are you sure it’s stroked? Sounds like it’s a long rod 660.
Are you running the stock head(modified stock head) or aftermarket?
Have the decompression holes been plugged?
What are you running for plugs?
Have you replaced your plug wires?
The 600-660 have a narrow power band, in reality.
Reeds need a spacer to move them out of the port opening. Especially with VF reeds.
Stock pipe works well. 5/8” out of the Stock head pipe works but needs a hot pipe to work, cold pipe losses power.
The SLP pipe combo works very very well.
Clutch setup I’ve found that works.
54-34 .46 helix with red/pink spring
140-330 primary spring with Lightning/TRS weights for your elevation.
Ex. Valve springs, stock seem to work the best.
8350-8500 rpm

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
Oh it's a 2010 red frame with I believe 60t 24t
A friend might give me the gears I need to tap 108mph, had that written down somewhere...
Dark green Spring, think Venom and 60-74g belly busters? Gabe's 2ndary helix and spring (blk/silver line).
when I called Gabe's for Helix specs, it's his trade secret*, suggested these springs for me. got them in the mail the last day I had snow, felt great... but I need more testing.

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
I had to take 1.5" out of my pipe in the head section 8600 but its ported for it B/P 61 gram weights OE cut stock team from a 09 700 .
Has a dobeck on it so i tune as needed .
Riding 5 to 10k
Whaaa... I could do that, I guess, but it's my stock pipe that I like (AAEN runs like crap).
Could you snap a picture for me to reference?

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
Are you sure it’s stroked? Sounds like it’s a long rod 660.
Are you running the stock head(modified stock head) or aftermarket?
Have the decompression holes been plugged?
What are you running for plugs?
Have you replaced your plug wires?
The 600-660 have a narrow power band, in reality.
Reeds need a spacer to move them out of the port opening. Especially with VF reeds.
Stock pipe works well. 5/8” out of the Stock head pipe works but needs a hot pipe to work, cold pipe losses power.
The SLP pipe combo works very very well.
Clutch setup I’ve found that works.
54-34 .46 helix with red/pink spring
140-330 primary spring with Lightning/TRS weights for your elevation.
Ex. Valve springs, stock seem to work the best.
8350-8500 rpm

Indy Dan stroked a Carles Cycle 660 and spaced the cylinders up about .50".
stock Y pipe header yes.
decompression and Valves are usually maintained spotless, but I do run rich with oil.
yes, wires were replaced, same with aftermarket stator.
I wonder what the powerband curve looks like in comparison to the 6,7,800's.
I'll definately source a spacer for the OEM reeds, is there enough room? gonna be a tight fit.

curious about all this pipe talk. actually wondering if my EGT keeps going bad or something, some other 660 guy was having the same issue as me with it falling on it's face after a minute of WOT.

what weight of weights?

Premium Features