• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6.7 Powerstroke reliability?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Wondering what kind of luck people are having with 6.7s?

I've read on the forums some turbo and fuel system problems. Seen a few motors go down and of course emissions stuff. The people I know seem to be having good luck.

I'm currently in a lease on a 11 f150 ecoboost supercrew which I really like. It's my first ford and I am impressed. However I kinda push the limits of its payload capacity.

I am thinking about going back to a Cummins (had two prior). I have no concerns about the cummins reliability. I love the new coil rear suspension. I really like the duramax engine but I'm not real excited about the Chevy truck. The new body style is even less appealing I think.

Kinda wish I could the duramax or cummins in the super duty.

But I would like to hear feedback from 6.7 Powerstroke owners. I realize the 6.7 the 6.7 is better then 6.0 or 6.4. But that is not saying much. That's like saying your sled is lighter then an apex.

C
Dec 14, 2012
My dad has a 2013 and he hasn't had any problems he put a H&S mini max chip and did the exhaust and intake it runs great hasn't had no issues, but his 2011 lost a turbo at about 60k his 13 has 70k now with no issues

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
They seem to be doing pretty good other then a few problems that I've read about on the forums but what forums do you never hear about any problems with? I would suggest ford or gm if your looking into a diesel truck. Seems like everyone with the cummins is always complaining about poor MPG. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 and they all have their pro's and cons. Drive all 3 and see which one you like the best and go from there!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
The Cummins with urea (13-14) seems to be doing much better on fuel then 07.5-12 models.

I drove a 14 Cummins 2500 and really liked it. The coil over rear and new radius arm front makes a big difference. Rides nicer then the GMs IMO.

I have several buddies with 11-12 Duramaxes. They all like them and haven't had issues. I drove a 11 and it felt like a rocket ship. Everyone is happy with the MPG. My big hold up with the Duramax is I hate the low ground clearance/ride height, I hate the IFS and absolutely despise that stupid urea tank hanging down. I'd like to kick the guy that designed that in the nuts.

I like the Superduty truck and really like my F150. The question is do you trust the 6.7? Maybe the updated 2015 will take care of some of the problems with the current trucks.

Seems like the 11+ Duramax and 13+ Cummins have very few issues, other then check engine lights from emission equipment. While the Ford has those plus the turbo, fuel system and some engine issues.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I have a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 and so far I love it. I bought it with 40,000 miles and have put on about 16,000 miles in the 10 months. The truck has been from the 100 plus degree heat of Texas towing a race car all the way to Cooke City in sub zero temps towing sleds. Never had an issue with anything except currently I have a tire pressure monitor that is acting up. I was going to trade it in this fall, but only to get a newer one with navigation. I was led to believe mine was one of the problem children too, but I guess time will tell. Mine is completely stock and I intend to keep it that way, as soon as the warranty is expired I will trade it and get either another one or a duramax.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
52000 mile on a 2011 f250 4d short box and i'm the first owner, the cow piss is not an issue. I have had only one problem, the drivers seat belt give up the ghost. I pull 4500 all week and 10k on the weekends. the power of this thing us UNREAL as i have had 3 other chipped and piped ford diesels and this thing is still stock in my barn. fuel mileage is as follows: towing, 13-15 stop and go and HY. empty freeway 17-21 depending tires. the only thing i'm going to trade this for is a newer one. ride high is good options great and never get one without the heated and cooled seats!@@#@#$@
did hate it for the first 2 mo as the info center has a lot to learn.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I have a 2012 f -350 super duty been great 25000 miles. Pulling I get 8 to 10 and empty 16 to 18. It realy likes fuel with speed hard to not drive 80 empty. I have gotten 14.7 driving 80 on a 700 mile interstate trip this summer. Mpgs come up if I slow down. Drove 64 on two lane with some tail wind 380 mile trip and got 21.1 these are hand calculated. I would have gone gm but def tank and no ground clearance was why I didn't. This is my first ford I test drove a 13 gm 2500 thinking maybe about a trade but I won't be going back to gm until they gets a better cab. I was a diehard gm guy but the ford fits me better. Pulling 25000 lbs the frame Is more rigid and the truck feels more solid driving it.

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
Hows it going Glenn? Ive done a lot of forum reading on the 6.7s ever since they came out. I was thinking of getting one. All in all I think they ve been one of the most reliable diesels ford has produced and one of the most powerful. They have had a few HPFP ( high pressure fuel pump) go down which causes the whole fuel system to be replaced and ford has been balking on the warranty, they claim water caused the failure. If I was to have one I would put on the dieselsites water separater and filter on. They have had problems with exhaust sensors also causing the truck to shut down. These new diesels are so complex, I think all manufactures have some issues. It sounds like Ford is changing the fuel system in 2015. I ended up getting a new 2013 ecoboost f150 max tow super crew 6.5 box.. I sold my 6.0 Ford f250 diesel. The reason being is I don't tow too heavy anymore I bought a 20 foot Trails West RPM. So Ill see how the ecoboost does. Someday I may be back to a oilburner, I do love diesels .

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Hows it going Glenn? Ive done a lot of forum reading on the 6.7s ever since they came out. I was thinking of getting one. All in all I think they ve been one of the most reliable diesels ford has produced and one of the most powerful. They have had a few HPFP ( high pressure fuel pump) go down which causes the whole fuel system to be replaced and ford has been balking on the warranty, they claim water caused the failure. If I was to have one I would put on the dieselsites water separater and filter on. They have had problems with exhaust sensors also causing the truck to shut down. These new diesels are so complex, I think all manufactures have some issues. It sounds like Ford is changing the fuel system in 2015. I ended up getting a new 2013 ecoboost f150 max tow super crew 6.5 box.. I sold my 6.0 Ford f250 diesel. The reason being is I don't tow too heavy anymore I bought a 20 foot Trails West RPM. So Ill see how the ecoboost does. Someday I may be back to a oilburner, I do love diesels .

It's going great. You will be impressed with how the Eco pulls that trailer. I normally tow an 18' charmac with three sleds and sometimes a 27' 4 place. It pulls flawlessly. I would say it's pretty comparable to the 6.0. I've driven my buddies 05 duramax pulling the same trailer and honestly couldn't tell much difference.

I will say my cummins were a little more stable, especially in the wind. But they were almost 2000 lbs heavier. Airbags make a big difference on the f150. I would recommend them.

I probably should of got the max tow as I push the payload to the max. I have three dirt bikes in the back frequently which I would say puts me over. 750 lbs in bikes, 600 for guys, plus another 100 in gear puts me at 1450 lbs and the truck weighs 6000 lbs. say 7500 lbs and my gvw is 7200.

I also really like the diesels. In really like the idea of the new ecodiesel but the payload is really low. Like 1000 lbs.

My big thing is how much the f-150s have gone up. My truck stickered for 44900. A 14 configured identically is 51400. $6400 price increase!

This is why I'm considering other options when my lease is up

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I had a 11 F250 6.7 with just under 30k miles it was never in the shop once in that time. Same for my brothers farm service pickup which has 45k miles on it now. I bought a 13 Ram 6.7 this summer and I'll be looking into a 15 F250 down the road. In 7k miles its been in the shop 6 times and I just got the 4 Check engine light the other day and a new one service exhaust soon message. I've had issues with Check Engine Lights always some update that is supposed to fix it. Had a major lack of power that was finally traced down to the active airbox. I still don't think I have as much power as my ford had. Other complaints are the capless fuel filler makes it hard to fill unless you hold it at a certain angle and you can't add anti gell without a funnel. If I could get a ford 6.7 in my mega cab Laramie I would be happy.

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
I researched the Ford 6.7 for a year before I purchased a used 12 F350 SRW CC SB lariat. In short, Awsome truck. Incredible HP (at least in my opinion) great towing capacity. I truly believe Ford has hit the bullseye with this one. Lets face it, they did'nt have much room for failure after the issues with 6.0 and 6.4. As far as Urea goes, I got 6k miles on the truck with mixed heavy towing, have'nt put any in the tank yet. Impressed.....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Glenn, I have an 11 f350 and it has been awesome. Only trouble I've had was when a place changed the fuel filter and they couldn't get it started again. A few had troubles once they lost their prime. Had to get new lift pump. One buddy lost a bearing in his turbo. He had a h&s programmer and everything deleted, including def fluid,so he didn't get it warrantied. He didn't even try. It was an 11. They supposedly did something different for 12. Went to boise sno show and it got 17 to pocatello. 15.8 to boise back. Filled up in Idaho falls and it got 19 to big timber. My guage is spot on. I check it every time. My wife got 11.9 pulling a 4 horse trailer, with 2 horses, to great falls and back. When I drive it is around 10-10.5 pulling. My dad has a 13 and it is quieter and gets a little better mileage. My buddy has one with 37 inch tires and 15 is as good as it gets. Slow them to 65-70 and they get better. I usually drive 75-80.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
All of the urea equipped diesels are getting much better mileage. My 13 Mega seems to be getting the same or better mileage than my 11' with full deletes. Friend has a new Ford and is a very nice ride, good power, good mileage and my only complaint would be the uncomfortable seats.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Thanks for the info guys.

Does the 6.7 come with head studs like the 6.4?

Sounds like most people have had good luck.

I have been reading duramax and cummins forums and most of the issues are CELs.

I drove a 14 cummins 2500 the other day and loved the new coil suspension. IMO the ram has the best ride, interior and is the best looking truck. However it doesn't feel nearly as fast as the duramax. I do like that I can still get the stick shift in the ram. I guess I'm old school but I just like the manual.

I really like the super duty and I've been happy with my f150 so I will definitely have take a spin in the 2015 when it comes out.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
I love my 11 f350 6.7 42k is all on it but hasn't been in the shop for a single thing yet except for oil change. Pulls great and gets between 15-18 mpg empty. I had really great luck with both my 08 6.4s too both of those ran spartan full deletes. One went over 100k tuned without a single issue and the other one I traded off at 82k. My 11 gets good enough mileage that I haven't tuned it yet. I have a 11 Eco boost too and love the power but I still won't pull big enclosed trailer with it. I like the stability of my f350 CC LB for that.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I drive a '12 F550 for work. Rolling 19-21k pretty much all the time, no trailer. Its done OK reliability wise. All the steering wheel controls went out at about 12k but so far that's it. Power is poor but the 6.7 is rumored to be detuned in the cab/chassis. Mileage is 6-11. Best ever is 13, freeway trip. Not much of a comparison for you guys and the 250/350's. I feel that in the 550 it could use more ponies.
But I'm a little partial cause my personal rig is a 6.7 Cummins.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
They seem to be doing pretty good other then a few problems that I've read about on the forums but what forums do you never hear about any problems with? I would suggest ford or gm if your looking into a diesel truck. Seems like everyone with the cummins is always complaining about poor MPG. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 and they all have their pro's and cons. Drive all 3 and see which one you like the best and go from there!

only dumb people or faggots buy a truck for gas mileage... i suggest them to go buy a prius...they probably wont compain about fuel mileage then

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
I have a 13' F150 Ecoboost FX4, incredible truck, stunning power (ask Big John hehehehe) and it is the most luxurious vehicle I have ever owned, that being said........ It does not do the one thing I bought it for, the advertised fuel mileage. It does not cut the mustard, our workhorse F-350 V-10 gets better when towing.

Trying out a 6.7 this weekend, my dealer is really stepping up to the plate. Will report next week.

Oh and Roff ........ yer an idiot.:face-icon-small-coo ............... let the sh!tdisturbing begin.

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
I have a 13' F150 Ecoboost FX4, incredible truck, stunning power (ask Big John hehehehe) and it is the most luxurious vehicle I have ever owned, that being said........ It does not do the one thing I bought it for, the advertised fuel mileage. It does not cut the mustard, our workhorse F-350 V-10 gets better when towing.

Trying out a 6.7 this weekend, my dealer is really stepping up to the plate. Will report next week.

Oh and Roff ........ yer an idiot.:face-icon-small-coo ............... let the sh!tdisturbing begin.

Whoa!!!

Premium Features