• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

503 a good starter?

P
Oct 26, 2010
Ok so i rode a hawk for the first time on saturday, 07 800 Topgun..
it was SWEET!!!! I'm in love :)
So million dollar question is: Will i be happy with a 503 until i save
the green to get an 800? i've seen 503's for around 3k.
Also, what's up with this Conversion to chaindrive? isnt' the
cog belt good? thanks everyone!

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
The 503 is fun but really doesn't have enough power. Its fun in tight turns and smaller spaces. Once you get to a place to open it up it doesn't have enough power or top end. It is a good one to learn on though and does have a better rear suspension. If you are handy enough you could get the 503 for this year and then put a 6 or 800 in it later. If you are mostly trail riding get the 600. I think its fast enough. For the mountains, the 6 or 8 works.

P
Oct 26, 2010
Sweet thanks for the info!, so to mod the 503 to accept a liquid cooled engine i'd have to add coolers to the sled i'd expect..
I'm handy :) more like i can't stop modifying anything i can.
haha

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Yep, just add the coolers, chain drive instead of the cog belt etc. A lot of work but others have done it. I sold my 503 to a friend and he is going to make it an 800 this summer so I will be helping him. I think I saw a guy was bringing two 600 hawks to hawkfest to sell. Its Feb. 18-21 in Cooke City, Montana.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com

I like the 600 best. I spent some time on my wifes 503 and really think is alot fun then got on the short track six and rip donuts and about flip over backwards when you lift out. That is awsome. I gotta say the shorter the track the more fun they are.

Q
Jan 13, 2011
I've got my eye on a 503F w/ a 136" for aorund the $3k mark. I keep thinking the 136" will be a little to big for the lil' motor, but when the track's only 12" wide in comparison to 15" or 16" on a regular sled it should be ok. I won't be using it for much more then ditch banging and around the acerage so I'm sure it should be a fun little machine as it will rarely see the hard pack. I've been reading everything I can on them over the past week, hence why I just joined the forum. I'm hoping it'll be a good buy.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
The 503 is a very nice machine and makes a good first machine. However, you probably will find that you'll want more power. When that time comes get either the 6 or 800, depending on what you find for sale at the time. At 120hp in the 600 and 140hp with the 800, they aren't much different.

Is it 136" with tipped up rails? If so, I can say it would be fine for trails, as that's how my 800 is set up.

Personally, I'd just buy a liquid rather than converting a 503F. It just seems to be a simpler and cheaper way to get what I want, but hey, if you're really into doing projects, then do what you like.

P
Oct 26, 2010
I'm in northern utah, i need another hawk rider if i get one i went out a few weeks ago and i left the sled in the dust. haha! so fo sure i'll need a hawk rider to keep up wit me. :) i really don't mind modifying things and
having a project, so i'll keep my eyes for a 503, might make it for hawk fest too in Cooke city.

G
Aug 18, 2009
Vermont
I have a 503 and its currently my first year riding the hawk. But me personally I thought the 503 wouldnt have enough go juice but with the right amount of personal touches and mods the little 500 feels like a 600 for a while. Its just not as fast but you cant expect that anyways its like comparing apples to oranges.

E
Dec 6, 2007
best thing about the 503 is less maintenance! I have had 2 600 one stock, one modded and I ride fanner every week! lighter, easier to handle. BTW i am 6'1" 245 lbs.still the little fanner takes me places you can't take a sled!

Premium Features