• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" x 163 CE track on Pro RMK

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
well drive what you like, but in our testing the etec had just enought tq to run the 3 inch in stock fourm, you can litreally feel track speed reducing while climbing

this last week we seen 37mph track speed with the three inch,another stock sled with stock track does 48 and goes 80 percent as high, but gets their quicker

i run the feilds all summer with the tractor, dont need it in the snow...lol

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
well drive what you like, but in our testing the etec had just enought tq to run the 3 inch in stock fourm, you can litreally feel track speed reducing while climbing

this last week we seen 37mph track speed with the three inch,another stock sled with stock track does 48 and goes 80 percent as high, but gets their quicker

i run the feilds all summer with the tractor, dont need it in the snow...lol

Hillclimbing is for guys who are learning how to ride.

Also, arent the doo's geared down to 19/50 ratio or something. Not sure the driver size, but no wonder they can turn that track. That is why I am asking about gearing as well.

Last edited:

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
So I put the 10-64 weights in it and left the gearing. Now I am pulling 8000 - 8050 rpms and about 39-40 MPH track speed. Funny thing is, I was passing another Pro today uphill in 2 ft of powder. I rode his machine and the speedo was saying 45-46mph. He is running the 2 1/2" cammo but must have been spinning more than me. This setup is working good so far. You really have to work to get it stuck.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
glass, on my 11 163 pro bone stock except for 68 gram mtx weights and blue/pink spring, mine pulls 44-49 mph track speed at 25-3000 ft elevations...so you pulling 39-40 at elevation with a 3x 174..pretty respectable..what helix are you running and what gearing> with the dragons guys were having good results dropping finish angles to 40 0ver 6000 ft,and 38 over 8000 ft, as well as gearing down to 19/45..I bet both would help with the big track...even 18/46 if the case fits(I dont know what fits the pro case )

3" Track

So how much did it change the for/aft and side to side balance on your machine Glassman. I am very interested in ths mod but am still on the fence as i dont want the sled to handle worse.I think its the sleds handling characteristics that makes it fun. And how bad does it vibrate now? Please try to be objective without letting your buddies know your not 100% satisfied:face-icon-small-win

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
So I put the 10-64 weights in it and left the gearing. Now I am pulling 8000 - 8050 rpms and about 39-40 MPH track speed. Funny thing is, I was passing another Pro today uphill in 2 ft of powder. I rode his machine and the speedo was saying 45-46mph. He is running the 2 1/2" cammo but must have been spinning more than me. This setup is working good so far. You really have to work to get it stuck.

I was getting 45-47 with my 700 mod last year with smaller drivers so i would assume 39-40ish real track speed 174 2.5. Its been proven for years now exspecially where i live it seems everybody has a 174 600s up to 1000cc's track speed is a thing of the past i only use track speed for a tuneing tool not a really reliable source though but we want ground speed anybody who has spent some time on a 174 or a 3in track nobody every want to go shorter.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
There is noticeable track vibration compared to the stock track. I am sure it is the way the Avid drivers are built as they are not really round, but actually have a flat surface where the clips would run. This is probably the main reason for the vibration.
As for handling characteristics, I dont think it has changed much from a stocker. Still fun to throw around, but I have only been in a minimum of 2 ft of powder this season so far. Im sure once it sets up, the machine will want to go straighter, rather than turn. Time will tell.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
One thing to take into consideration when talking track speed. Im sure that although my track speed has decreased from a stock machine, my ground speed has actually increased. Less track slippage and increased traction actually seem to improve the speed of the machine on the snow. As I said before similar machines showing higher trackspeed on their speedo, are actually being passed by my machine, showing less speed on the speedo, when climbing. This will likely change as the snow sets up, but in the light powder, this track seems to perform.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" X 163 CE track on Pro RMK

Keep in mind, because your 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers are bigger than stock, your speedo is reading 5% slow.

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
3" x 174" on my PRO

Just back from a very satisfying 5 day ride with my 2012 Pro
Did the Avid drop and role with 3" x 174" x 15" [ trimmed 16" ]
Riding conditions were great with lots of deep powder. Could have used a 186" track.
Mostly tree / creek riding, My other Polaris riding buddies said that the 174" track was unfair compared to the stock 163" Polaris track.
Sled does vibrate somewhat on the hard packed groomed trails but not bad and after a couple of days use I never noticed it at all.
Will do this conversion on the next sled I buy.
Also hats off to Robbie for his products to make the swap possible.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
So I now have over 500 miles on this set up. We finally got some bottomless snow and wow, does this set up work awesome compared to the stocker. Not even in the same ball park when it comes to technical tree riding. The floatation is incredible. The only thing I wish is that I had the 174 this weekend, but I had to suffer..lol.

If I were to do it again, i would seriously look at the the belt drive system from CMX. It is about the same money and lighter, you are just limited to the gear ratios you can run.

On another note: The stock rails on the 2012 are straight and the track is super tight with the 162 on the 163 rails. I have finally opted to purchase the ice age 161 rails and will see if the looser track will increase track speed by lowering the extra friction caused by the tight track. Another $500 that they dont tell you that you will have to spend for this mod. Now will someone please compare the 162 x 3" to a 174 x 2.5 which is pretty much a bolt on application.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
So I now have over 500 miles on this set up. We finally got some bottomless snow and wow, does this set up work awesome compared to the stocker. Not even in the same ball park when it comes to technical tree riding. The floatation is incredible. The only thing I wish is that I had the 174 this weekend, but I had to suffer..lol.

If I were to do it again, i would seriously look at the the belt drive system from CMX. It is about the same money and lighter, you are just limited to the gear ratios you can run.

On another note: The stock rails on the 2012 are straight and the track is super tight with the 162 on the 163 rails. I have finally opted to purchase the ice age 161 rails and will see if the looser track will increase track speed by lowering the extra friction caused by the tight track. Another $500 that they dont tell you that you will have to spend for this mod. Now will someone please compare the 162 x 3" to a 174 x 2.5 which is pretty much a bolt on application.

Isn't the CMX belt drive $2400. You should be able to do the Ftx/Avid drop and roll plus a track for that coin. Probably even drivers.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" X 163 CE track on Pro RMK

Glassman you can modify our stock rails buy extending the axle slot forward about .25" and shortening the rear of the rails by .5 ". The track tension will be much better. When you put on a bigger driver and a 1" shorter track, you run out of forward adjustment. We didn't know this until this year. I guess that people only ran 174s last year. Call me I can send pictures.

Robbie

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Another question. Isn't doing a 1" drop and roll or 2" in order to get the 3" track in going to mess with the geometry of the sled and completely change the handling characteristics of the chassis that everyone loves? I don't know, just curious.

Premium Features