• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" x 163 CE track on Pro RMK

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, another day out and things seem to be good so far. Definately works better than an E-tec with a 2.5. One thing I am considering is I noticed the primary clutch isnt shifting out all the way to the top. There is a good 3/8" of untouched sheave. The kit comes with 19/45 gearing and I was concerned about the power of the engine pulling this track. Has anyone used 18/45, and did you get full shift on the clutches?
In my minds eye, I am leaving some ratio in the transmission that could be utilized. Any thoughts?

Are you 7 or 8 tooth?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
8 tooth avid drivers. Im sure if I as running 7 tooth I would be using all the clutch. I know an 18 is pretty small, but the lower gearing for tree bashing would probably be even easier on belts.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
8 tooth avid drivers. Im sure if I as running 7 tooth I would be using all the clutch. I know an 18 is pretty small, but the lower gearing for tree bashing would probably be even easier on belts.

how much clearance do you have with 8 tooth on the top and front.?

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana

I ran a 18 in my dragon for 3yrs with no probs not sure what the pro uses for chain ect.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I ran a 18 in my dragon for 3yrs with no probs not sure what the pro uses for chain ect.

18 will work but gives up strength and longevity.Poo motors dont hit real hard and are easier on chains.however not the best setup.I like a 21 top and larger bottom gear.

Last edited:

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" 162 on a Pro

Here's a picture of mine. I can get my palm in front of the track at the bulkhead. 8 tooth drivers.

DSC00122.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

For those considering this..Just a couple of things to consider as well. (I've had PM's on this)

1) The 3" tall paddle tracks are avail ONLY in 16" wide. So you will need to cut the track to 15" wide with a saw... This voids any kind of warranty on the track... Which is pretty pricey at over $900 street price.

2) You will need to go considerably slower on hardpack with a 3" track if you want it to last.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
My buddy just did the avid drop and roll on his 2011. Also the new Peak track. Holy Crap what a difference. That new track is SICK! I'm jealous. 163/2.5. Floats in the pow as well as my PC and has Ridiculous traction on the set up snow. It looks like you added 20hp to a stock sled in performance.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" X 163 CE track on Pro RMK

down 1" and back 1"

M

MontanaPowder

Nov 30, 2007
Kalispell
174 last season with 3 inch

I had mine done last season by Robbie and Dave.

Very nice fit and finish, left motor completely stock and at our elevation very pleased.

With the 3 inch, I have had people ask me what kind of turbo I am running.

Motor is stock.

Just a very nice sled, as always turbos rule the big chutes but for my age this is the setup for overall riding. It even sidehills better that stock.

Have 180hp sled with 174 track in yellow that now stays in the barn.

Nice work Robbie.

Mike

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I had mine done last season by Robbie and Dave.

Very nice fit and finish, left motor completely stock and at our elevation very pleased.

With the 3 inch, I have had people ask me what kind of turbo I am running.

Motor is stock.

Just a very nice sled, as always turbos rule the big chutes but for my age this is the setup for overall riding. It even sidehills better that stock.

Have 180hp sled with 174 track in yellow that now stays in the barn.

Nice work Robbie.

Mike

What gearing are you running with this setup?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i would say the pro would not handle the three inch in the power catagory, but did see montana powders run last year and it ran well, from what i remember it was ahead of the stock etecs, i might even have some video of that

a three inch takes alot more hp in general, and yes a stock sled will do better, but sometimes they feel like a workhorse where track speed is reduced and it will just grind its way to the top... not really my type of riding tho

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
i would say the pro would not handle the three inch in the power catagory, but did see montana powders run last year and it ran well, from what i remember it was ahead of the stock etecs, i might even have some video of that

a three inch takes alot more hp in general, and yes a stock sled will do better, but sometimes they feel like a workhorse where track speed is reduced and it will just grind its way to the top... not really my type of riding tho
you know fred..the things you say just show your stupidity.....grow up...

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" X 163 CE track on Pro RMK

A 136X15X1.75" track takes less torque and spins faster, but I don't think that it would propel the sled as well as a 3". Track speed isn't everything.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
have you ever installed a 3 inch and seen what it does compared to your stock track, i bet not from your reply, bigger track takes tq, and if its not their, than track speed is reduced

Um, like I said earlier in the post, stock track does not compare to the performance of this track. Never drag raced or anything as Im sure the 3" would be the underdog all things being equal. But where it does excell is in tractoring. It moves so much snow that the machine just keeps on going. Slower maybe, but who gives a crap about racing up a hill?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta

Ahead of the stock etecs? It will eat them for lunch. I just compared to a eteck with a 2.5 and it wasnt even close. I will be searching out these infamous etecs just to be sure it wasnt a freak thing or something. Why dont you come down to valemount sometime and we can compare for fun.

Premium Features