• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Catalyst 600 weight, 536 elbows, e start wet, factory weight specs included

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Doesn't Poo have an 11gal tank? I'm always running on fumes at the end of the day, so fuel capacity is important to me.
Polaris has a11.2 gal tank, to the best of my knowledge.

It is obvious now why the heavier sleds started fixating on "wet weight" instead of dry weight a few years ago, since a 2 gallon (or more) smaller tank makes them magically "lose" 13(ish) pounds as a wet weight total.

Then some of the heavier sleds also have smaller oil tanks, so a little bit more fuzzy math there too.

Just ask Joe Brandon . .. he's the master of fuzzy math :)

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah

It is obvious now why the heavier sleds started fixating on "wet weight" instead of dry weight a few years ago, since a 2 gallon (or more) smaller tank makes them magically "lose" 13(ish) pounds as a wet weight total.

Then some of the heavier sleds also have smaller oil tanks, so a little bit more fuzzy math there too.

Pretty sure with Cat the fixation was riding weight, not wet weight. But what do I know?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
^ ^ yah, that is a good way to get off in the weeds.

Riding weight would include rider, tools, bags, extra gas & oil to make up for a smaller tanks, how much snow a chassis holds when riding . . . and on and on the foolishness goes.

That is why sled weight was always figured as "dry" since this is what the MACHINE actually weighs . . all by itself - nothing added.

Then one can add what they want (weight wise) to their machine. Wet weight only became an issue when the heavier sled could not compete.

That is what i know :)

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
dry weight or hang them from a tree in the mountains is all i care about.
the guys who get off on wet weight in the shop make me chuckle. im not a fan of the smaller tank but you do have to figure a NA sled is not going to suck fuel as fast as a turbo i guess

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Y’all are losing three to four sled lengths hanging them from a fork. Our best results on the hill came from hanging them from an a frame hoist. Start first pull every time that way too.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I feel like I remember thinking at one point that the 10% reduction was maybe referring to the weight of the engine package, not the entire sled

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I feel like I remember thinking at one point that the 10% reduction was maybe referring to the weight of the engine package, not the entire sled
When I spoke to the reps at Jackson, they said certain models will see close to a 10% weight reduction but will vary between models. I asked specifically about mountain and the direct quote was “ we will see”. Would not commit to a 10% reduction . 540 to 508 is a great start but the reduced gas tank size is a bummer and skews things a bit.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Burandts had a small gas tank on lightweight builds for years. Doesn’t stop him from advertising wet weights. Therefore, this is accepted strategy. Haha

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When I spoke to the reps at Jackson, they said certain models will see close to a 10% weight reduction but will vary between models. I asked specifically about mountain and the direct quote was “ we will see”. Would not commit to a 10% reduction . 540 to 508 is a great start but the reduced gas tank size is a bummer and skews things a bit.
Going from the heaviest sled on the snow to vying for the lightest is certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully we see a "Mountain Cat" model next season with the 858 that's another 8lb less to get under that 500lb mark (stock).

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

Polaris holds a qt more oil which is another 1.6 pounds.
I sure hope this isn't the new way of comparing sled weights we will be riding sleds with 6 gallon gas tanks and strapping 10 gallons on the back. Wet weight is dumb comparison.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Light weight is definitely nice, but handling is way more important in my opinion. I remember when I took delivery of my 2008 Summit 800 154". That was the year Doo shaved massive weight off the sled. It was 425lbs dry. However, the handling was TERRIBLE! When I had a 2016 Axys and then purchased a 2017 Summit X, the Polaris was lighter, but the Doo rode way lighter. So even though light is right in the mountains, handling is far superior. I haven't been a Cat guy for a long time, but wish Cat great Success with the new platform.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
unloaded my new M today, My dad a buddy and i all couldnt believe how easy it is to get on its edge even sitting on concret. Ive got a 18 mtn cat that ive loved and that has been flawless, but now it looks and feels big compared to the catalyst. the new sled feels good as far as rider postition. My buddy who has a axys stood on the cat and instantly said these feels awesome just where you stand and the handlebars and everything. Very excited to get a ride on it.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
unloaded my new M today, My dad a buddy and i all couldnt believe how easy it is to get on its edge even sitting on concret. Ive got a 18 mtn cat that ive loved and that has been flawless, but now it looks and feels big compared to the catalyst. the new sled feels good as far as rider postition. My buddy who has a axys stood on the cat and instantly said these feels awesome just where you stand and the handlebars and everything. Very excited to get a ride on it.
Congratulations on the new sled, you know what would be nice is some pics compared to your 18. S X S so everyone can see the different positioning of the sled components / feet placement etc.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Cat booth was right next to the Polaris booth at Haydays and it was noticeable how easy the Cat tipped compared to the Polaris sleds on the flat ground. They feel much smaller than the Ascender sleds when you are standing on them with how tightly packaged the bodywork is now. My dad is 5'-4" tall and it looked normal sized for him.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
Congratulations on the new sled, you know what would be nice is some pics compared to your 18. S X S so everyone can see the different positioning of the sled components / feet placement etc.
i'll get some pics soon. did some practice hop overs in the garage and they felt real nice.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
no pics yet, i have a flip phone. But i noticed the pull rope rubbing on the main wiring harness right where the rope exits the recoil, so something to look for. I'll have to find a way to hold the harness out of the way. most things on the sled look very nice and well thought out.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
no pics yet, i have a flip phone. But i noticed the pull rope rubbing on the main wiring harness right where the rope exits the recoil, so something to look for. I'll have to find a way to hold the harness out of the way. most things on the sled look very nice and well thought out.
Flip phone?

Maybe you can use your camcorder instead and make a VCR tape of the new sled? 🤣

Premium Features