• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 M7 clutching help

M
Nov 11, 2008
Denver,CO
I have the same sled and ride the same elevation. Just installed a couple of mods last week but haven't had a chance to try them out. They came highly recommended from guys here in CO. Clutch - 68gm, stock primary, M8 orange secondary, and a shift assist. Also installed a SLP can and two wheel kit for the rear idlers. PM me if you have any questions.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Mountain max
Make sure you go with 68g weights, The gold spring is going to give you a low engagement, If you want a higher engagement go with the yellow white (stock). The orange with shift assist will help. I have found that the best setup is a D&D or BMP torsional with a Black BMP spring works very well.

S
Nov 26, 2007
I agree

Gold primary spring from cat, with the orange secondary and shift assist. Get rid of the stock junk deflection adjuster.

This is the setup to run for sure on an M7, Gold Primary, AC M8 Orange Secondary,shift assist, and for me 70g weights, i ride 2500-4500. Pulls hard, holds rpm straight up in 3-4 feet of fresh, acts like a new sled.

This setup was told to me by Mtn Extreme and Winterbrew, so the credit should go where it belongs. Any Cat questions I have had, those 2 have more than stepped up to help. Thanks again guys!

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
I am thinking about putting in this set up. Is it a good Idea... Gold primary spring from cat, with the orange secondary and shift assist

This is the setup I use. Pulls hard throughout the powerband. Really makes the top end power of the 7 usable.

My riding buddies still wish they would have kept their M7s and used this setup over their M8s. Similar problem on their M8s. Stock clutching sucks.

Go with this setup and you will be happy. The torsional spring conversion kits are nice but this setup is cheap and will really make a difference for a stock sled.

D
Feb 26, 2009
With the gold primary and M8 orange secondary spring which weights should i start out trying? I will be mostly riding at 2000 feet and when i go to valemount (i think 6000 feet ish) which weights should i use? Thanks again guys this thread has really helped me out!

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Good stuff. What is a shift assist? Who sells them?

It's a thin thrust bearing you put in the base of your secondary under your spring replacing a plastic washer. As the clutch shifts out the spring turns on the bearing. With the plastic the spring didn't always turn easily and would bind within its confines, inhibiting shift. D&D makes the most well known unit, but lots of after market parts sellers selling them. Thread on here somewhere about buying one from an auto parts store as well.

VDO

cjfarm11

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Laurel,mt
I hated the gold primary spring! I run the rkt kit with sno-pro green in the secondary and orange/white in the primary. 68 grams may be a bit heavy at 10,000ft. I would run 67's if it were me. Runs well all day everyday for me with a similar set-up.

W
Dec 1, 2007
Cañon City, CO
I ride the same altitude and I would go with 65g weights. A conversion kit in the secondary first and then orange spring with shift assist would be my second choice. Primary spring is kinda your own preference. I have a BMP conversion kit with two springs I would sell, if interested PM me. I upgraded to the 10.4" clutch with RKT's kit, don't know if the 10.4 made much difference, but the conversion kit sure does.

Premium Features