• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 rmk900 overheating within 1min

B
Nov 24, 2013
I just bought this sled is got 435miles on it and hasn't been ridden in 2 yrs. Sled does have the rad delete.

I took it to the local sled shop they did the "tune up" spark plug, top ups, grease, and she's ready.

I get it home back it off my deck and perfect... Next morning I notice anti freeze the size of a pancake under the sled. Quick look over and can't find anything so I figure the dealership maybe over filled it and it leaked out the over flow.

Get it up to the Coq with a foot of fresh snow in the parking lot. Start her up let it run temp at 120. Ride outta the parking lot get into some powder off the trail and then it bogs with the temp light on.

I pull back on the trail and shut it off (I can still see my truck) pop the hood to coolant spilling out of the over flow. I give it a good 10 mins then pop the cap off coolant is way down on the bottle. I top the coolant up and fire it back up it runs/idles for 2 mins totally fine, so I run it back to the truck and by the time I'm back the sled over heats again.

I park it on the ramp and let it cool down, take the cap off and start it up 5 big air bubbles and the coolant is down again so I top it up and do this again just from the screw on the thermostat no more air. Figured it was just air locked.

Go for a ride 1 min over heats (coolant bubbling from the smaller house on the front of the tank)

Check all the lines for coolant, no pinches, no visual leaks is got pressure so WTF???

Stumped!!!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Thermostat is most likely broken. Undo the bolts that hold your thermostat on and quickly pull the thermostat and put the housing back on. You shouldn't lose hardly any antifreeze when you do this if you are quick.

900's also heat up very quickly if you are not in powder or running ice scratchers.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
as long as it is not over pressurizing which would be head gasket leak which as well would happen very fast and possibly be mistaken for air lock and /or thermostat issue..

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Check thermostat first. It's easy to check and they fail after a few years.

B
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks for the feed back I just pulled the old one and it looked a bit crusty. Im putting the new one in tonight. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

Premium Features