• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat Service bulletin

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Let-it-Bleed-Service-Advisory-on-the-2012-800-Arctic-Cats

20111121141227.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
In the wake of a handful of engine burndowns in Alaska and Canada, this last week Arctic Cat sent a Service Advisory to its dealers concerning proper set-up of all 2012 F, XF and M 800s.

This is not…I repeat NOT a bulletin or recall. On the contrary, it’s a bulletin that simply reminds dealers of the proper set-up of all 800s before leaving the dealership as well as the need for customers to run a 100:1 gas/oil mixture in the first full tank of full.

Arctic Cat is investigating the handful of burndowns, and from all accounts it appears to be a problem of air-bubbles in the oil and, likely, not running a 100:1 fuel/oil pre-mixture in the first tank of gas.

Although this has happened to a few 2012 800s, this isn’t exactly a new problem with oil-injected sleds. Fill the oil reservoir on any injected sled with new oil and air bubbles can/will exist in the system until the machine has been run for a few hours. An air bubble moving through the lines and into the case will create a brief moment when there is no oil lubricating the crank and cylinders. When this happens burndown can (will) occur if there is no additional oil lubrication.

Which is why for decades Arctic Cat has required that owners run the 100:1 premix in the entire first full tank of fuel. It ensures adequate lubrication in the event of an air bubble and optimizes engine break-in.

I’m told by Arctic Cat’s Service department that when following proper procedure, the company has not been able to replicate the burndown scenario experienced by a small number of owners. The company believes the problem is that customers haven’t added oil to the first tank of fuel.

Owners (or dealers) can expedite the process of bleeding air from the oil system by tipping the machine on its left side for 5 minutes (engine off), with the cap removed from the top of a fuel reservoir of oil. You must still run 100:1 premix in the first tank, however.

With a 10.8-gallon fuel tank, this means that owners must add 13 oz. of oil to the fuel and burn most of this supply before adding more fuel.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
We sent out 3 800 PC's from our dealership yesterday. Scarey to think they may sieze today for some odd reason. Ran each of them for over 2 miles on the track stand and did better than 100:1 oil in the tank. Also instected all the air intakes. I'd be surpirsed if they had any problems from oil line air bubbles.

S

sledhead13c

Nov 29, 2007
ND
With the air bubble issues are we going to have any problems with sleds that land upside down with the motor running?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Could an air bubble develop from the sled being upside down with the motor and oil pump running.

I thought about that scenario often in the six seasons I ran my '06 900 RMK. With efi, the engine will run fine upside down, but now the air in the oil tank is free to be drawn into the oil lines. Because of this, I never let it run long in that position and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
maybe we will quit having these sleds seize now. I just got mine today, and am a little nervous. At least we are giving the poo dudes something to talk about, other than there carbon fiber bumper that cant tow anything, and their ported snowflaps. we will let them get their hopes up until everyone starts climbing

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Air bubble

An air bubble could definitely cause motor to go down in less than mile. It could slow oil flow significantly or air lock the pump. No pre mix in tank and your not going to go very far especially if you let machine warm up. I would almost bet every new sled runs for at least a half an hour before it ever gets ridden for the first time.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
This air bubble situation seems very similar to the situation with a handfull of PRO RMKs last season. When I picked my PRO RMK up the first thing I did was remove the air bubble after reading all of the horror stories on SW last year.....guess what 700 miles later runs perfect and havent had an issue. The PC is going to rock...cant wait to ride one.

Premium Features