• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.8 miles and seized!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Didn't even make .8 miles and she locked up!

Sled died twice before that and started right up after no issues then the third it died and could not pull over waited 5mins and it pulled over and half as wanted to start but no dice! Checked plugs and they were perfect color! Waited another 30mins and a beer later and still same result!

Worst part is all my buddies rude pros and will never let live this down!

Also there was premix in the fuel and it was heat cycled before riding, and even once riding I was still easy on it! All I have to say is FML cause last week my 2011 dodge diesel started having injector issue with 4k miles!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
WTF, where did you buy it, I want to know if some dealers are skipping out on proper inspection and break in.

No doubt. .8 miles is pretty crazy. . . I have ridden sleds with catastrpohic failures farther than .8 miles. That motor had to have eaten something it should not have to lock up that fast. The cylinder walls could have been bare aluminum and lasted longer. I suspect it ate a rivet.

I

Ihntdux

Nov 27, 2008
Bozeman
Well $hit, I got 2.3 miles on mine from water skipping this summer, I've also done all the checks and precautions. I'm planning on going out Sunday also with 2 new pros, I'm hopping for the best. I'm wondering if there is debris in the cylinders of some of these?!?

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
It was high country mini motors in Missoula MT! I'm so bummed about. This

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Kinda what I am thinking, I have scuffed pistons in less distance but all the scuffs I have seen you could start them back up and ride them.

We all know what the motor is capable of and to see even a few fail in such a short time and here about it this quick is not except-able. Post the dealer. Not to say its there fault but to warn others they may want to do the inspection and break in.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
It was high country mini motors in Missoula MT! I'm so bummed about. This

I am too, that just sucks. you should ask about inspection and break in, if they have heard of the warnings.

I

Ihntdux

Nov 27, 2008
Bozeman
For those of you guys with problems what are your v.I.n numbers. I wonder if it is just a series of these or if they are all over the place scattered through production?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If they did the proper break in/heat cycle it would have more the .8 miles on it.

The process it to start the sled on a stand, run the motor just above clutch engagement (track is spinning) until the temp light comes on. This takes 8-12 miles not .8.

So my bet is they didn't heat cycle the pistons. Another bet is it looks like a four corner cold seize. But it's from not heat cycling the new pistons.

I did this exact same thing on a brand new top end. I made it about 1.5 miles then it died just like yours, fired back up then stuck. And I didn't do the break in procedure as required.

Thunder

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
It's going to fastoys in kalispell right now should be there in five mins so hopefully we will have some answers soon

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
If they did the proper break in/heat cycle it would have more the .8 miles on it.

The process it to start the sled on a stand, run the motor just above clutch engagement (track is spinning) until the temp light comes on. This takes 8-12 miles not .8.

So my bet is they didn't heat cycle the pistons. Another bet is it looks like a four corner cold seize. But it's from not heat cycling the new pistons.

I did this exact same thing on a brand new top end. I made it about 1.5 miles then it died just like yours, fired back up then stuck. And I didn't do the break in procedure as required.

Thunder

I have heat cycled 3 M-series sleds and they all got heat cycled with the track on the ground idleing or reving just enough to not engage the clutch. Might have been how it was done. You know what hyfaxes would look like after 12 miles without any snow for lubrication?

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
that sucks hooch, who'd ya go with?

Iam on the phone with hooch he tells me he blew his sled up. I ask him well how did you get out? HOOCH: Um pauls sled why? I say what is pauls sled and i get a long pause........... peice of chit polaris hahahahha:becky::boink:

Dont worry hooch they will have ya fixed up in no time

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Went with Paul and Craig!

Fastoys said next week before they can even get to it! I figured they'd wanna as bad as me!

L

luv2sledmt

Dec 15, 2008
C. Falls, MT
I'd be skeptical of fastoys hooch they done some real shotty work for me... That sucks man, hope ya get fixed up quick. 100 miles on mine and I couldn't be happier with the sled.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I have never been a fan of heat cycling and engine. There is not the proper load applied to seat seat the rings correctly.

The cyclinder hatch only last so long. If you wear the hatch flat before the rings seat, they you will have blow by. Now, also with heat cycling, I dont ever like to see the heat light come on.

I would much rather have the sled warm up really well, then put a few light miles on the sled (under half throttle), then give it some good WOT bursts. You are not going to seat the rings at idle... no matter how hot it gets.

I would also have to agree that the sled ingested something. I am interested in seeing pics of those cylinders though. Hope your dealer will comply.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Wow, sorry bud! I hope you get back up and running quickly.

I understand there is bound to be a bad apple or two out there, but i'd have a hard time not asking/demanding for a complete new motor or machine. Especially with not even a mile on it.

Guys are dumping a lot of money on these sleds and this just is not right....regardless if it's covered under warranty. Sure it won't cost you anything to get fixed, but it's always going to be in the back of your mind.

This warranty trend is starting to get troubling. Don't get me wrong it's great its there but not good when manufactures start leaning on it as a crutch, just to make sales.

Premium Features