• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" x 163 CE track on Pro RMK

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
3" x 162 CE track on 163 Pro RMK

Just wondering if anyone has done this mod and was it worth the coin? Does the machine have enough power to turn this beast. How much track speed would you loose? I understand gearing is essential, but can you compensate for the extra resistance? I ride mainly in the trees and just looking for maximum traction but dont want to ride a tractor. Would I be better of with a 174?
Its alot of dough to do this mod and maybe money would be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
yeah, you can't do it without one of the above. no fitage senior.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I am very aware of the process to get this installed, just not so sure if it is worth the investment. Someone will chime in with some real world experience.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
It is definitely worth it, it changes the attack angle also, sled works exceptionally well with 3" track but is a pretty big expense, and if you do it do the 174 and get it over with, there is a big difference between the 162 and 174 in the deep snow, the worst job is cutting that friggen track. Lol

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Track length

So with your experience which track would you put on your pro? The 163x3 with the trim job and D&R. Or go with the 174x2.5 and just ride the piss out of it. I am debating on which route to go. Give me the + and - of each sled with the individual track lengths. And most imortant which side by side will leave the highest mark on the hill:face-icon-small-ton

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Depends on your riding style, i'm at 200 hp on my mod sled and took the 16x3" off and went back to 2.5x15x163...just better speed and turning.
If you have the power big tracks are great, but they put the hurt on track speed and tend to carry a ton more snow around. You just have to think what you would like better, 40 or 60 mph track speed and how much momentium you like to carry. A 450 pound sled with a 2.5 and good hp is going to go anywhere you want to (and some places you don't)as long as you have good skills (i'm leavin insane chutes out btw) IMHO

163 on my pro as well btw.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
For my riding, not being a hillclimber anymore, I hope the 163 is a better choice for slower, tighter turning in the bush. I am just hoping that this mod will not trench near as bad as my turbo, but still allow me to get around like I am used to, with a little advatage over my buddies (you know who you are). When guys are following you it ends up creating alot more stucks in the ruts. I dont expect to be the highmarker or the fastest up the hill, just dont want to be the always stuck guy.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
not on the pro, I will say if you are looking for maximum flotation and the best chance of not gettin stuck I would do the 174 track, tracks about the same price and the rail extentions are cheap compared to what you are going to spend on the entire project. also add the skinz float plate and maybe simmons skis. Sled should dig itself out with all that..lol... that being said I would look pretty hard at the 9035 174-15 2.5...it would be much easier on the wallet to install that track, drivers , ,rail extentions and done .

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
I dont have a pro but i do have a 174 on a dragon, its such a huge improvement over the 5.1 that i will never ride a sled with a 5.1 again. My suggestion is go with a 163 or 174 camo 2.5 i say this because it will work good in the fluff and more setup up snow. Now i have never ridden a 3in track sled but common sense says it should fold over easily on hard snow thats why i think the 2.5 would be a better all around track. Just hard to beat the tried and proven camo sure some might do better in some conditions but the camo does well in almost every single condition out there.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
It is definitely worth it, it changes the attack angle also, sled works exceptionally well with 3" track but is a pretty big expense, and if you do it do the 174 and get it over with, there is a big difference between the 162 and 174 in the deep snow, the worst job is cutting that friggen track. Lol

Are you talking naturally aspirated or boosted? I see you are all about boost. My concern is for the "stock" engine. I would assme the 3" paddle would displace more snow than a 174" 2.5 therfore it would seem likely that it would have an advantage. So far it sounds like my money would be better spent elsewhere.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Are you talking naturally aspirated or boosted? I see you are all about boost. My concern is for the "stock" engine. I would assme the 3" paddle would displace more snow than a 174" 2.5 therfore it would seem likely that it would have an advantage. So far it sounds like my money would be better spent elsewhere.

i am speaking from experience also, i had a 174x3" on my xp last year and it was incredible, i rode with the 163 e teks and there was no comparison and mine was a p tek, i will not ride any other track but the 3" no bull, i had a 174x2.5 on my dragon also and was not as good, my xp still spun the 3" track at 45mph na.. and i could almost stop uphill in deep snow and take back off, the track is unbelievable!!!

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
if you want other opinions on how they work pm caper11, or curtis from varda in valemount on here and they will tell you how they feel about that track on my sled, they both had the 11 e tec 163" too..they both rode my 174x3" to compare..

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
How about a slp pipe and can and slap a head on there with some clutching. Or just become a more aggressive rider. I have personally watched burandt out ride other really good riders with turbos and all sorts of mods on a stocker. So basically use your sled to it full potential and you can keep up with anyone beside pointing and shooting hill climbs. If you have right mind set it can actually be more fun riding a stocker trying to ride with turbos and what not than having one. I think its more impressive taking a stock sled everywhere everyone else goes with mods than having a turbo and just being the fastest up the hill. just my two cents!

Who said anything about hillclimbing?. I can hold my own skill wise, just looking for that little extra. I just like the idea of slow, technical riding in those areas where most guys dont ride (just like everyones hero). My turbo is awesome for getting around, but it just does it too fast, and with a vengance. The turbo does it with trackspeed, Im looking for floatation and traction.

Thanks for the help Dwayne.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Bit the bullet, now I just need to hit the snow.

FYI, This is absolutely the easiest drop and roll I have ever done. Thanks to Robbie at avid for an exceptionally nice product.

2011-11-10 22.25.42.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features