• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M8 Belt Exploded???? ANY Help?

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Just got finished putting back together an m8 that had the A-Arms busted off. On the first ride and I was cruising along maybe 10mph the belt exploded. when I got off to check it out the clutches where so hot It practically boiled the snow I put on them to cool them down. I also noticed allot of vibration at idle but it would go away if you gave it some rpm's. Can anyone help me out? Sled has just under 200 miles on it I shouldn't have blown a belt.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Check your clutch alignment and make sure the bulkhead wasn't bent when you busted the a-arms off. Engine crankshaft may no longer be parallel to the drive shaft.

Chief

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Check for torn motor mounts. And agree that you should check alignment/parallelism. Look at clutches for any binding or broken springs. Broken rollers. And make sure you don't have sticking rollers in your primary etc...

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Im not sure it the clutch got hit or not I wasn't there but I t did get some damage. they rode it out 2 miles. How do I check if the bulk head got bent.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
DSC00143.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My $$ is on a damaged crank.....is there a bunch of black residue towards the bottom of the sheaves just riding at low speed? I would check runout before even starting it again.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Looks bad

1st picture - Motor mount bracket and side brace should never touch in that location.

2nd picture - I don't know how it is possible for the primary to hit the side brace without the motor twisting out of it's mounts

3rd picture - hard to tell for sure but the motor mount bolt does not look centered. you can see the squish is different on the top and bottom. The little "Y" looking reliefs are all different shapes and sizes.

I did the same thing earlier this year and it cost me $$$$ for the new bulkhead and misc. parts.

Hope this isn't the case with your sled but the pics tell the story that the impact damaged your motor/clutch alignment for sure.

db

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
If you don't know how to check runout, chances are you don't have the tools either, Take it to a shop to get a professional opinion of what to do. Judging by the clutch damage and the rub mark on bulkhead brace you either have a bent crank, bulkhead or both. Looks like the a-arms were the cheap part of the repair. Got insurance?

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Okay so I have looked at a good M it seems the bulk head is bent. But it is not that much could I just shim out the clutch to get it aligned? I got the clutch balanced and it solved the vibration so i dont think the crank is bent.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
You can't shim the cluch. You might be able to move the motor around a bit.

But the alignement and center to center on the clutchs in very important. If it isn't right you will blow belts.

Thunder

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
It could be possible that the motor torque plate is bent. Looks like it took a pretty good shot to the primary. If the runout on the crank is good and clutch is ballanced you shouldn't have any issues there. The motor mounts moved a lot to let the primary hit the torque plate.

But the motor torque plate needs to be straight. Their is a chance that this might be the part that is bent.

Thunder

Premium Features