• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long does a 4-Stroke Turbo last?

good day snowest, ive been seeing a great deal of people wondering how long their turbo sleds were lasting. Im posting this for everyone is curious about how long other people are getting out of their turbo 4-strokes and/or if their having any trouble with them. If u have a turbo 4-stroke sled post here what it is and how long it lasted or how well its holding up. Everyone loves the extra power, but everyone also wants to know the reliability! thx :decision:

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
built right, and not taken past the logical end...

they keep going, and going and going....

EnergizerBunny.gif+2.gif

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i have an rx1 motor with close to 4000 miles on it right now, it has been beat to death with horrible tuning, this and that, who knows what going throught it and she still runs like is new.

D
Nov 30, 2007
I ran into a guy 2 winters ago, he had an RX1 turbo, he got the dealer to put it on the day he bought it, when I was talking o him up in the mountains he had 20,000 km on his and was just starting to have clutch issues, and this sled was BEAT.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
MCX

3700 Miles MCX 14-18#'s. knock on wood motor has been awsome. Still have replaced front end parts lots,and clutches. However still best sled I have owned overall.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
Hopefully mr yamaha chimes in. He has over 40,000km on boosted 4strokes. He is busy with yamafest this weekend so probably won't see a response til after the weekend

B
Dec 18, 2007
We have a customers 06 Apex at the shop right now with over 28,000 kms on it. The machine has less than 5% leakdown and has ran 12-15 psi on a rear mount MCX from mile zero. The machine has been almost written off twice now and a lot of chassis parts have been changed but original engine, turbo, and clutches.

LL

feeze

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have a buddy that has a sled with under 100K on his completely rebuilt Nytro 270 hp kit (JE pistons, Carillo Rods). Engine is "toast" after last weekend. Doctors said the actuator that is located under the seat froze up due to riding in too much snow & over boosted. Not a very pleasant situation!

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Nope, doesn't take just one time
I had my TCV fail and boost went nut's, if you can't feel and hear your sled when it starts making 25 lbs boost I don't really feel sorry for you when you break it
You can feel 2 lbs of boost change and you can hear detonation
The sleds don't break, people break them

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The sleds don't break, people break them

ahaha.. best quote ever..

and to det it bad enough to blow the motor, im pretty sure you should hear the thing revving insane. i can feel and hear the rpm change from the 2-3# spikes i get from my crappy boost controller, i cant imagine not noticing more then that.

feeze

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Regina, Saskatchewan
"and to det it bad enough to blow the motor, im pretty sure you should hear the thing revving insane"

Exactly! I'm just telling you what the "doctor" said (doctor being the builder). There was no "audible" / "feel" sign of over boosting.

The other "odd" thing it did, was on the trail out the day before just before the bottom it decided to not start after a break. We were told that the external fuel pump will heat up in warmer temperatures and create a vapour lock. When you turned the engine over it seemed to "lug", but when you gave a little throttle it turned over easier? We waited a bit and it started up.

It seems there was something else that has caused this engine to detonate as bad as it did.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
"and to det it bad enough to blow the motor, im pretty sure you should hear the thing revving insane"

Exactly! I'm just telling you what the "doctor" said (doctor being the builder). There was no "audible" / "feel" sign of over boosting.

The other "odd" thing it did, was on the trail out the day before just before the bottom it decided to not start after a break. We were told that the external fuel pump will heat up in warmer temperatures and create a vapour lock. When you turned the engine over it seemed to "lug", but when you gave a little throttle it turned over easier? We waited a bit and it started up.

It seems there was something else that has caused this engine to detonate as bad as it did.

sounds like you need a second opinion:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-sho

feeze

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Regina, Saskatchewan
sounds like you need a second opinion:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-sho

kind of what i was fishing for :help:

Not that it is going to matter, but I do not believe the "doctors" diagnosis fits the disease.

It wasn't like we were "bagging" the piss out of the sled. We were actually on a rescue mission for another sled. We made a pull back up and the problem started.

see picssnowskating 2011 059.jpg

snowskating 2011 061.jpg

snowskating 2011 060.jpg

Premium Features