• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator testing?

N

Newfy

Jan 13, 2008
GooseBay, Newfoundland&Labrador
Hey guys my motor is on the bench, just back from IndyDan ( thxs a million )
before I start to put the thing back together I was wonder how do I test the stator? It is off the engine altogether..

G
Jul 16, 2008
Ya same darn question I have!!!! What color wires do you check for the crank postion sensor??? that is the code it flashes at me and my battery gauge only will read two bars on the dash gauge This is the second stator I think I want to light this darn thing on fire any help would be awsome

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
hopefully one of the pros can answer this for you guys soon. If mine ever start having these problems I plan on just replacing stuff, starting with the regulator and working my way from there. Now I have a second one to swap parts back and forth on for testing.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
im wondering about the stator test procedure aswell, i think mine crapped out!! which wires do you test at? and what are the values that i should be getting??

newfy- what did you have done at indy spec.??

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Isn't this in the stickies somewhere?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
btw...I'm not sure about all the resistance values in the stator tests but for the coils that are supposed to read 15 ohms, the used stator that I replaced my bad one with (due to flywheel separation) had one read 15 ohms and the other 10 ohms. 10 ohms appears to be out by alot but the stator still worked. I was out in the middle of the woods on a trip and was surprised to even find one within hours of mine dying so I put it in and hoped for the best. I plan to order a new one this summer and keep this one as a backup.

N

Newfy

Jan 13, 2008
GooseBay, Newfoundland&Labrador
im wondering about the stator test procedure aswell, i think mine crapped out!! which wires do you test at? and what are the values that i should be getting??

newfy- what did you have done at indy spec.??

Dan checked over the engine after she came apart from ingesting a screw. He done some welding on the case, updated the crank,new 06 pistions and a little cylinder honing. Also he serviced the clutches, some bushing spacers and a new helix.

Dan is the man, it was a treat dealing with him and if anything ever goes tits up again it will all go back to him with out a second thought.

To Dan :hail::rockon:

L

lowridermatt

Feb 1, 2009
Whitehose,Yukon
My 06 900 had a capacitor problem. Voltage bar read lower than usual. Found capacitor melted halfway out of itself:face-icon-small-sho Voltage bar came back up. My dealer was a jackass when dealing with this!

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
Once a stator goes bad will it test bad consistently?? Or can it be an intermittent problem?? My 900 is loosing spark very erratically. Sometimes it'll keep spark for 5sec and sometimes I can run it for a mile before it looses spark. And no I haven't tested my stator yet.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Once a stator goes bad will it test bad consistently?? Or can it be an intermittent problem?? My 900 is loosing spark very erratically. Sometimes it'll keep spark for 5sec and sometimes I can run it for a mile before it looses spark. And no I haven't tested my stator yet.

Often times they are spuratic, they tend to fail as they get hot for whatever reason and then act normally when cooled. I know there is a test you can do based on the resistance of the 3 wires coming out of it, but I don't recall the specified procedure and desired voltages for each leg.

Premium Features