• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MFD flashing off and back on.

S

sks rider

Dec 23, 2009
Ahwahnee, California
THis happened to me today for about 5 minutes after a long ride. THe guages completly go off and then back on immediately.. Sleds running great. Not a single other issue...

What would cause this? Is it something i can fix before the ride tomorow? Should i just not worry about it for the ride tomorow?

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Open hood, reach into air intake area, and push on the MFD connector plug. Watch loosening your left headlight connection while doing this.
Less quick but more certain check--pull the air box/light panel from underside of hood (about six screws) and reconnect lights and MFD.
Try the connectors along the dash to machine route-- there are two or three.
Consider taping over any exposed/unused connecters-they might touch metal, so I covered them up (I found three total pretty quickly last weekend on my 2009. I think it was two on the bundle between machine and dash, the other was on a bundle near the belt cover, etc.

If its still a problem, Other possibility- disconnect handwarmers and see if problem continues.

Other possibility--its the start of your Voltage Regulator going to hell. Keep an eye on reported volts.

S

sks rider

Dec 23, 2009
Ahwahnee, California
Open hood, reach into air intake area, and push on the MFD connector plug. Watch loosening your left headlight connection while doing this.
Less quick but more certain check--pull the air box/light panel from underside of hood (about six screws) and reconnect lights and MFD.
Try the connectors along the dash to machine route-- there are two or three.
Consider taping over any exposed/unused connecters-they might touch metal, so I covered them up (I found three total pretty quickly last weekend on my 2009. I think it was two on the bundle between machine and dash, the other was on a bundle near the belt cover, etc.

If its still a problem, Other possibility- disconnect handwarmers and see if problem continues.

Other possibility--its the start of your Voltage Regulator going to hell. Keep an eye on reported volts.
You talking about the batt display? How many bars should be on it? How many are normal?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
check all wires that run anywhere near the pipe too, to make sure nothing is melted and shorting.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Ok. I took the pipe offf and SUPRISE! there was a wire melted to it. Bare wire was touching it. Could this be my issue?

could be, check the wires that run to your temp sensor too. Mine melted inside the plastic look. Cover all the wire looms around that pipe with aluminum heat tape(guido Tape).

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
check grounds and maybe ad an engine ground to the frame were the chassis ground is. This may not cure it but it is a cheep thing to try. Much less than a new stator. Also make sure you look the loom on the hood over really well and make sure the pipe has not melted that.

S

sks rider

Dec 23, 2009
Ahwahnee, California
check grounds and maybe ad an engine ground to the frame were the chassis ground is. This may not cure it but it is a cheep thing to try. Much less than a new stator. Also make sure you look the loom on the hood over really well and make sure the pipe has not melted that.
You really think it could be the stator? What about the capacitor?
Where do i check grounds?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
could be a lot of things. Bad ground is cheapest to fix. Chassis ground is right behind your driven clutch. can you put a volt meter on one of the power wires and see what your voltage output is?

S

sks rider

Dec 23, 2009
Ahwahnee, California
could be a lot of things. Bad ground is cheapest to fix. Chassis ground is right behind your driven clutch. can you put a volt meter on one of the power wires and see what your voltage output is?
What power wire would be easyest to get to? Is there an open connector that i can check voltage at?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
something shorted could give you that reading too. I know some of the guys have said they had shorts in hand warmers before.

Premium Features