• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 leaking antifreeze under the guard at the front of the tunnel

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I have disappearing anti-freeze. The dealer pressured up the system and said it's leaking from a clamp that is burried beneath a guard at the front of the tunnel. When they first called they said they didn't have time to do it this week. I said that's fine I can do it...he later called me back and said the parts are in the sled. Good thing we didn't do it. It's not covered under warranty. WTF My new sled is leaking anti-freeze and it's not covered under warranty?

So I'll get at it tonight, I'm sure I have to remove the fuel tank.
Can anyone give me pointers. I haven't had the tank off an M yet? I'll figure it out, but insight is always nice. What do you have to take off?

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
dont think you need to pull youur tank. your probably going to have to take out your rear skid and track to get to it. you have some bad luck man. did you ever figure out what was wrong with your crossfire last year that you had so much trouble with?

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
You need to pullyour skid and track to get to it then you need to drill out the rivets that hold the cover over the clamp, pretty easy job I did mine in about a hour and a half .

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
If you have to replace the hose you have to take the tank off and un-rivet the entire rail.
This happened to my 09 last year, the oetiker clamp broke and drops of green were coming out. I thought the broken parts of the clip put a hole in my hose. I had the tank off already, I drilled out all the rivets for the rail and put the new cat chunk of special hose on. The job sucked. Make sure you have the special oetiker clamp pliers and put the nub as close to the tunnel as the tool will let you (combination end/side tool would probably work best) or the aluminum cover wont go on without denting it for relief. I think I remember the top rivets being in a crappy location for setting.

This should be covered under warranty if you ask me, there isnt anything you can do to a sled short of folding it in half that could wreck that clamp. lame.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
Never did figure out the crossfire's issue's. I just gave up and traded it off.

I'll take the skid and track out first. Which is bull****! I just had it out to change the track two weeks ago ****! Hopefully I don't have to take the tank off.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
Had to take the tank off to drill out the rivets on that guard. When I got the guard off the front oetiker clamp is broken. How do I get the new clamp around the hose? I hope I don't have to drain the coolant system and take off that rail!!!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I just did the exact same thing on my M7 last week. I had to pull the diamond drive, the drive shaft, the rear skid, and the track. Sucks but wasn't too bad. On mine there were 2 rivets going in from the side just above the DD, and 2 rivets going up into where the tank would be. I just drilled out the 2 on the side and then bent the guard up as best I could to get it out of the way. I replaced the clamp, bent the guard back over and put 2 new rivets into the side. It loosened up the 2 going up into the tank but not enough to worry about. Hope yours goes as easy as mine did. More than anything it was just a pain pulling everything out just to get to a clamp, but it is what I had to do.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Just put a little grease on the clamp and slide it around the hose! i would not recommend using the stock style clamp. As they seem to be a recurring problem! use stainless screw type clamps!

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
THe screw type clamp will not fit with the guard.

How do you get that oetiker clamp on there without pulling the hose off and draining the coolant? Or do I have to drill out all the rivets in that coolant rail? I sure hope not!

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
warranty. if they won't fix it phone arctic cat directly and scream until they fix it.

I used to do this....it was my SOP. Worked about 50% of the time and ended up swearing off all sorts of companies, b/c i told them, "i'll never bring my business here again!"

Then one day I started trying the "kill em with kindness". AMAZING. tell them how much u understand and how much you appreciate them trying to help you "but I'm sure you can see my point...." I'd say 90% of the time, i get what i need/want.

if you wear that out, then try screaming.:face-icon-small-ton

T
Nov 26, 2007
Renton
Just did my daugters M7 last week. Pulled the skid, DD, axle and track out. Used the flat part of a cut off wheel to file down rivets on guard from underside of tunnel. Slid worn gear clamps around both ends of the hose and called it good. It took alittle time to get the clamps in place as it is very tight between the hose and the tunnel. I could not reinstall the guard because of the worm clamps. Hope this does not cause any problems.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
did the same exact thing to my m1k last spring. I had my sled at the dealer 3 different times because it was using coolant. They told me that they pressure tested it, and couldn't find anything... I called bs... I came to the boys at snowest, and them told me where to look, and sure enough i found the leak in a few minutes when i put the sled on a stand and ran it...A factory clamp had broke at the front hose and the clutch side. It was a super easy fix, i did not have to pull the tank... I still have no idea why a pressure test didn't find my leak, and a sent my dealer a letter stating how i felt... I wish ya the best of luck on your repair!

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I put a normal screw clamp on and just notched the guard. How the hell did you guys get that new clamp crimped on with-out taking off that guard completely.

I hope There isn't a hole in my hose. I'll be pissed.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
THe screw type clamp will not fit with the guard.

How do you get that oetiker clamp on there without pulling the hose off and draining the coolant? Or do I have to drill out all the rivets in that coolant rail? I sure hope not!

Mine is probably a little different, but I had just enough room to put a screw type clamp on even with the guard still in place. I used a pair of wire cutters to just cut the loose clamp off.

D
Nov 28, 2007
I put a normal screw clamp on and just notched the guard. How the hell did you guys get that new clamp crimped on with-out taking off that guard completely.

I hope There isn't a hole in my hose. I'll be pissed.

This is the same story I had back in 05 with my M6. Same clamp same spot. Cat care didn't cover hose clamps. My dealer Country Corners Exeter covered it for me. Till this day I run with out that cover on that clamp. Many many hours on it and no problems.

Don.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Why are you guys pulling the track for this?

I just did this over Thanksgiving while swapping everything over to 09 cooling rails on my 08.

Pull the seat
Pull the tank
Pull the skid

Then you can drill all four rivets from the top of the sled and the guard falls off.

Cut the clamp and remove it

Install the new clamp, and crimp appropriately

Line up the guard with a couple of punches and hold it in place while your friend pops the rivets for you.

Put skid, tank, and seat back on.

Like I said, there is nothing gained but a headache by pulling the track :)

Premium Features