• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT BB vs. 09 m8 w/ exhaust vs. 2010 m8 stock

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I currently have a 2006 m7 162 LE, I hit a rock in Dubois, WY this year and insurance took care of me:face-icon-small-hap. The sled is still very rideable, and I already have some stuff done to it. RKT Torsion Conversion Clutch, RKT Billet head, 2009 bumper mod, 2-wheel kit, riser, Skinz Super-Q can, side vents. so I have some options.

OPTION 1
Take the insurance $, and put into my current. I would go w/ the RKT 800 BB. No fuel controller, 160hp, and already have a bunch of stuff on this sled.

If I was to sell the M7, I already have some offers, I would have 2 other options w/ a budget of about $8k:

OPTION 2
I would be able to easily afford to pick up a 2009 m8. I would probably get the SLP pipe kit, swap my clutch kit, and possibly some other mild mods(head?). I would be in the 150's for HP. I would most likely NOT need fuel management.

OPTION 3
I could stretch the budget and POSSIBLY find a 2010 M8 but it would have to remain almost completely stock. Swap my clutch kit, and a can would be about it. I like this option the best but finding one in my $ range is proving difficult.

I am leaning towards opt 2 or 3 b/c of the increased value I would have in the sled for resale or if there were another insurance claim. So if you could give me your opinions, and/or any experience you have had with any of these set ups that would be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested in the comparison between the 2009 M8 w/ the add on's vs. a stock 2010 m8.

I live in MN and go west 1-2 times a year(cooke, togotee, Dubois, W. yellowstone) and mostly do boondocking, climbing in the trees and deep powder. so a pull/go sled is important to me.

Thank you so much in advance for your input!

samiams

Also, anyone with anything for sale, pm me and let me know.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I would go 2010. The motor runs great stock. The only thing that I don't like is the float shocks. After having a mod sled it nice to go riding without having to tune the sled. Just pull the cord.

Jason

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
You will get a bunch of different answers on this.

If you can find an 09 for a very good price you can Mod it in stages and be very happy with the Power. You can start with the SLP single Pipe, then add the porting, etc.....

The 2010 is an animal if you set it up correctly, and the aftermarket is just starting to get a chance to play with this motor. Keep an eye out for the D&D single pipes for this 10' motor, they made some wicked power at Jackson Hole Hillclimb and should be a great bolt-on.

I don't think you could go wrong with either sled, if you have the money go with the 10. M&M Powersports in Hancock, Mi has some of the 2010 M8 Standards left which he could probably work a good price on.

John

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Would go the 2010. But the only part that will transfer is the clutch kit. Can is different. you are gaining alot just going this way. There has been several on here for $8000 to $8500. What are you asking for your M7?

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
i would go with the 2010, put the can on clutch kit and pull the rope and go, the 800 motor runs as crisp at it is

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
go for the 2010, i love mine, it rips like a bat out of hell after three cans of red bull. so far a couple minor issues, but nothing thats ended my day early(knock on wood). for something thats gonna be ridden twice a year i wouldnt waste my time with something you gotta be playing with all the time...

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
Would go the 2010. But the only part that will transfer is the clutch kit. Can is different. you are gaining alot just going this way. There has been several on here for $8000 to $8500. What are you asking for your M7?

I sold it tonight! $4300 for the sled, and all the extras EXCEPT the clutch kit. So I am shopping! Option 1 is out.

Any good leads on 2010 M8's? I have found a couple new for $9200-$9500. I need to be around $8k tho...unfortunately.

Thanks for all the feedback....keep it coming. Anybody go from a piped 09 to the 2010? I am trying to be patient and find a 2010 but there are some good deals on the 2009's.

samiams

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
For that kind of coin i would keep the M7 . The 7 on boost will run with an 8 all day long. Race gas 7 my friend , no questions asked . You can turn it down to run a blend , or crank it up and pack the ski's .

Go with BOOST ! You have an M.:face-icon-small-sho

O
Feb 23, 2008
Hugo MN
i had almost the same decision this season, i hit a stump with my 06 m7 halfway through the year. i took the insurance money and bought a new 2010 m8. best decision i could have made. once you ride one you will just love it!
go for the 2010!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
just fyi, the clutch kit for the 2009+ isn't the same as the one you have.

You would lose reverse with the old style helix. I would PM Kelsey & ask what he would need to update it to the newer style.

Should have kept the head! Cat may have improved, but the stock domes are still way behind the RKT setup even if we're talking even compression.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
just fyi, the clutch kit for the 2009+ isn't the same as the one you have.

You would lose reverse with the old style helix. I would PM Kelsey & ask what he would need to update it to the newer style.

Should have kept the head! Cat may have improved, but the stock domes are still way behind the RKT setup even if we're talking even compression.

Yes, u r right, I will need a different helix and different spring if switching to 09 or newer. I asked Kelsey if I could carry the head over to an m8 and just swap the domes. He said no....so I sold it w/ the sled.

Premium Features