• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help taking off drive clutch on 08 Dragon

K

kevsled59

Dec 13, 2007
I own an 08 Dragon 700 and I leave it out in Island Park during the offseason. I usually take the clutches off at the end of the season to service them. When I tried to take off the drive clutch this time it seemed like the puller was going to break. I pulled the puller back off and put the bolt back in. I have never had this issue with this sled or any I have owned. Please tell me if there is a solution to taking it off. I am going back this summer and want to bring the clutches home with me.

K

kevsled59

Dec 13, 2007
Help with Clutches

My Dragon only has 900 miles on it and the clutch has been off 4 times so Im not sure why it seemed so tight. I was thinking about pulling the clutch bolt back out and tipping the sled on its side and spraying some anti seize spray in and letting it sit for a day or so. Would this help?

C
Feb 8, 2008
If you do a search you will find a lot of tricks. I have never had an issue with pulling clutches, but I have heard that putting some grease in the bolt hole then wraping the threads of the puller with teflon tape, and then pulling the clutch works well.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
CLUTCH REMOVAL

I own an 08 Dragon 700 and I leave it out in Island Park during the offseason. I usually take the clutches off at the end of the season to service them. When I tried to take off the drive clutch this time it seemed like the puller was going to break. I pulled the puller back off and put the bolt back in. I have never had this issue with this sled or any I have owned. Please tell me if there is a solution to taking it off. I am going back this summer and want to bring the clutches home with me.

I have heard of the hydraulic removal method working, I've just never used it.

What works for me on a stubborn clutch is to apply some heat to the clutch center (between the sheaves) with the pressure from the puller still on it.

Place a wet rag/towel between the clutch and the engine to protect the crank seal.

Hope this helps

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
i used the hydraulic method the other day and it works awesome

1 tip sled on its side

2 pull clutch bolt out

3 fill bolt hole with water(grease or oil makes a mess, water works fine)

4 wrap the first puller threads that will come into contact tightly with teflon tape, 8 to 10 wraps works well

5 slowly let the puller down into the clutch trying to keep as much water as possible between the end of the puller and crank

6 slowly turn the puller until the clutch pops off, it didnt take much for mine, i barely had to turn it after it was snug to make the clutch pop off

good luck

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
i used the hydraulic method the other day and it works awesome

1 tip sled on its side

2 pull clutch bolt out

3 fill bolt hole with water(grease or oil makes a mess, water works fine)

4 wrap the first puller threads that will come into contact tightly with teflon tape, 8 to 10 wraps works well

5 slowly let the puller down into the clutch trying to keep as much water as possible between the end of the puller and crank

6 slowly turn the puller until the clutch pops off, it didnt take much for mine, i barely had to turn it after it was snug to make the clutch pop off

good luck

That's one of those "why didn't I think of that!" idea's.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Use some fine emory cloth to polish up the crank stub and clutch taper before you put it back and you will be happier next time. EW

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I had a puller that had one of the step down diameters was slightly too large. This caused the puller to bind in the clutch. After several uses I was able to see where the puller was binding, after grinding it down, clutch removal is significantly easier.

T

THA_Natty

Jan 5, 2009
Great Falls, Montana
I am having the same problem with my clutch. my 09 has 220 miles on it, and we did the hydraulic method with no results, hit the puller with a hammer, and the put a imact gun on it with no results. It stall hasnt broken loose. Try the impact on it. just make sure you dont use too high of a torque on it and destroy your cam and clutch.

Premium Features