• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blewett

R

Randonnee

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 4, 2008
Greetings.

Just a heads up from a snowmobile-riding backcountry skier.

Please review the map for the Blewett area in regard to the Tronsen Non-Motorized Area and also the Pipe Creek Non-Motorized Area. Snowmobile trespass into these areas which are under USFS Closure has been occurring.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/trails/?TrailType=motorized&Region=3&Park=106

The Pipe Creek Non-Motorized Area is well marked along the groomed road. There has been more marking of the upper elevation Boundary for the Tronsen Non-Motorized Area, however snowmobile riders are required to know the Boundary, which is the County Line with the Chelan County or from the ridgecrest-north drainage being Closed to motorized use.

The area of Closure is small compared to the many square miles of areas open to snowmobiles surrounding. However for skiers and snowshoers the Tronsen and Pipe Creek Non-Motorized Areas are rare accessible non-motorized non-developed areas.

Thank you.

R

Randonnee

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 4, 2008
Bump. I hope that folks notice this, please. Sad to see that some sweet terrain on the back of Windy Knob in the Tronsen Non-Motorized Area where I had planned to take my 10 yr old daughter on a ski tour got totally trenched by a snomo and became basically unskiable. I have been on that summit hundreds of times and do not recall snomo tracks there in previous years.

Thank you.

R

Randonnee

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 4, 2008
Judging from the lack of responses, few are aware of snowmobile trespass into the Tronsen Non-Motorized Area. Only a handful have ever done so to my knowledge (I have probably 300+ days' skiing that area), that is great! What is important to realize is that one (!) snowmobiler who trespasses the Tronsen Non-Motorized Area and tracks what is available for skiing may very well negatively affect HUNDREDS of skier trips into that area- no kidding.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Agree, poachers suck!

When people ride in the restricted areas it makes life hard for all of us. On a side note, we went up to Blewett last Saturday afternoon to spend the night and ride. I was worried about crowds but going up the pass I noticed that all of the usual parking spots for non-motorized were empty. There was only one car in the non-motorized snopark. I got up to Blewett and there must have been 100 subaru wagons packed in the park and consuming all of the space. How about filling up the non-motorized parks first since they have them all to their selves?

Just a thought. Not trying to compare this to riding where you shouldn't.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I agree that sledders who ride in non-motorized areas are inconsiderate jerks who give other sledders a bad name. That being said, I bet there are a lot more x-country skiers parking in motorized sno-park turn-around spots (where it's clearly marked "no parking in turn around") than there are sledders riding where they don't belong. These dingleberries who block the turn around areas cause a much bigger problem than one or two rogue sledders who make some tracks in an area where they aren't supposed to be.

Maybe someone who enjoys both sports should post some 'heads up' threads on some x-country skiing forums about how and where to park in sno-parks. Although when I see x-country skiers parked right next to the no parking sign, I can't imagine that they parked there out of ignorance. It's more like they park there intentionally to cause problems for snowmobile riders. That or they're just completely oblivious to their surroundings (totally clueless?). Either way, they don't have a speck of consideration or respect for the rest of the people who share the sno-park).

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
are you guys taking your parking lot anger out on this guy?

:rant:

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
both ways

Nope, just looking for some insight..

i agree this should work both ways... just like the frickin government should!!

why can't both sides be heard in a spirited dialog...

oooops i forgot that is how snowest used to work Ruffy please!!! both sides

have been to 29 pines when the skiers were CAMPED I MEAN CAMPED WITH THEIR TENTS IN THE TURNAROUND!!

both sides have legit points!!

can we not argue then come to a reasonable conclusion ..or agree to dissagree

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
let me see if this works

that skiers can be just as short sided and selfish as snowmobilers?

yes i believe that is his point

It seems like this is what you want the guy to say?

yes and no in my view.... ruffy take a step back from your anti antagonist view.... it might be that some on here may want to get to understand the problems. thanks

chris

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
cliff notes version?? :p

The point is, I doubt the guy disagrees with your points at all. He probably has had that stuff done to himself...

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
yep

HTML:
He probably has had that stuff done to himself...

so if that is the case then we all make these " mistakes" that "intrude" onto others" nervona" i.e untouched pow or any other measure of ones "perfect place...

could be

quiet cove on the lake
serene waterfall on a hiking trail
perfect fishing spot on the sound
when playin yer fav vid game and kicken azz only to be interrupted
where are you going to draw the line?

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
are you guys taking your parking lot anger out on this guy?

A little frustration maybe, not anger. It's not like I went to a x-country skiing forum to complain about the way they park in the sno-parks (or tell them that I'm taking pictures and reporting them).

When a skier posts on a snowmobile forum (2 threads about the same complaint) to complain about sledders riding out of bounds, I think in all fairness it should be a two way street.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I think in all fairness it should be a two way street.
lame....

So when your wife criticizes you, you feel the need to criticize her right back? Or when you dad scolded you as a kid, you scolded him right back?

Why can't we just suck it up, say it is wrong and we shouldn't do it and move on? Does pointing out the faults of skiers really make the act of riding in the wilderness any better?

Two way street.. = if you can complain about me I can complain about you in an unrelated issue...

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
lame....

So when your wife criticizes you, you feel the need to criticize her right back? Or when you dad scolded you as a kid, you scolded him right back?

Why can't we just suck it up, say it is wrong and we shouldn't do it and move on? Does pointing out the faults of skiers really make the act of riding in the wilderness any better?

Two way street.. = if you can complain about me I can complain about you in an unrelated issue...

Ruffy's right. I think we should stay focused on the topic raised by Rando, because it's important. If you want to complain about BC skiers parking in turnarounds, here's the forum for ya: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?board=1.0 Give em hell! (BTW - I've heard way more stories about sledders doing that than skiers, but whatever.)

I'm also a bc skier who loves to sled. Like Rando, I also ski/sled in the Salmon la Sac and Teanaway area all the time, and I also see snomo tracks in the Wilderness far too frequently. I don't agree with turning anybody in to the FS, but I do support Rando's point. Sledders who ride in the Wilderness probably think that their actions are going unnoticed, but that's obviously not the case. IMO we're damn lucky to have the access rights we currently enjoy. We've got to be farsighted and smart to keep it that way. Intentionally riding in the Wilderness is neither.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
I completely agree that sledding in Wilderness areas only causes long term problems.

The issues sledders and all multi-use people have with "wilderness" is the arrogant attitude of a lot of the wilderness supporters. Really, the root issue for lots of skiers in those areas are "noise" and "sleds mess up their perfect lines". It is not always the "save it for future generations" bs, it is I want peace and fresh snow for ME. That pisses most multi-use people off.

BTW, do $400 Randonee bindings look like they give a mechanical advantage?

How about some old wood ski's with rawhide bindings and burlap sacks tied on for uphill use.

B
Nov 26, 2007
mv
I feel we buy a washington state snowmobile tabs. That means we have the right to ride where ever in the state we want to its snow how are hurting the land. Screw all the click clicks who are wining. They need to make non motorized parking areas bigger or i need to get a subaru with a trailer. Its the only good places to ride this year. Any body want to go ride Mt Rainer this weekend. We are meeting at 8:00am at Paridise parking lot. Look for big red truck with 4 place enclosed. Thanks Bill

Premium Features