• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Assault top speed????

A guy i ride with have a 09 Polaris Assault 800 with a series 5.1 (2.4" x 146") track. We do lots of river and lake riding but we don't have that much snow this year. Last weekend we went for a ride on a river and their was a guy with a 10 Polaris Dragon RMK 155" completely stock with us. The RMK was at least 10 mph faster than the Assault and it have a longer track. We check and they seem to have the same setup as far as clutch and gearing except the Assault have 1 tooth bigger on the top sprocket. Their was also two 2010 Polaris Assault with us (one with the stock track and the other one with a Camoplast Cobra 1.375" track) and they were also slower than the RMK. Is their something different with those Assault compare to the RMK??? Also I tried the 09 Assault and the low end is good until around 50 mph and it fall flat after that. The guy just bought the sled and he is not really happy about it. The RPM is always around 8200-8300. What can be done to gain some top speed on those Assault??? They don't expect to go 100mph with that but it should at least do 85mph. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
with compete stock setup(stock motor/clutching/track) my speedos max mph was at 83 i believe. im not sure how accurate those speedos are. now with a 62/42 .46 helix..some mtx weights...slp exhaust set up and cobra track speedo max shows 95

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
with compete stock setup(stock motor/clutching/track) my speedos max mph was at 83 i believe. im not sure how accurate those speedos are. now with a 62/42 .46 helix..some mtx weights...slp exhaust set up and cobra track speedo max shows 95

That doesn't make any sense. Your max speed shouldn't change from a weight and helix change, unless you were unable to pull the weights you had on there before.

The only way to change your max speed is to change the gearing or track drivers.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The Assault track is made for putting screws in it and running hillclimbs. It has no top speed and will throw those big lugs off when you try run rivers and ditches. It also has straight rails instead of the tipped rails which also takes away some speed. If you want to run fast in the flats, put a wide front on a regular RMK, clutch it heavy and tape the throttle until a lug hits you in the elbow and then back off just a little.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
That doesn't make any sense. Your max speed shouldn't change from a weight and helix change, unless you were unable to pull the weights you had on there before.

The only way to change your max speed is to change the gearing or track drivers.
you can get speed by clutching :face-icon-small-hap

polaris_guy13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Approach Angle

The Assault has a steeper track approach angle which results in more acceleration and take off speed but less top end speed. The dragon has the shallower approach angle which allows more top speed in theory.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You are limited by gearing, but if you are not getting full shift-out on your clutches with the stock setup it will be slower then a different setup that may get the full shift-out.

You're referring to efficiency of the clutch setup. What mile is saying is that with ideal efficiency the only way to gain speed is to change your gearing.

polaris_guy13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You're referring to efficiency of the clutch setup. What mile is saying is that with ideal efficiency the only way to gain speed is to change your gearing.

Sorry about that I misunderstood the question. Gearing is the only way to gain top end. :face-icon-small-hap

Do you agree that the track approach angle is a big speed killer in the Assault compared to the Dragon?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Yes, I am saying and assuming your clutches are running in the correct efficency.

IF your clutching is screwed up, nothing will help you.

T
Dec 2, 2008
09 assualt

Got the engine recall done.... now it back fires and Pisses around.... Can only get around 66 mph in the powder and only hits around 7800 rpm.... Only thing done is put heavier weights in the clutch.... how can i get more speed ... its no fun seeing everyones tail lights.... makes me wanna buy a doo..

Premium Features