• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Non fixed pin to fixed pin clutch weights

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Anyone have the conversion rate when going from a non fixed pin style clutch to a fixed pin clutch.

I am getting a new clutch for my 03 900. Was running the 64 gram weights NFP. Will run the same spring in the fixed pin clutch. Just not sure on the weight to run. I ordered 66 gram fixed weights. But if I need something different I would like to know now.

Thanks in advance.

Thunder

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
You probably will be closer with 67 gram. There seems to be about 3 grams different in the way they shift. One other thing to consider is that the two clutches don't act the same in the shift curve. When I went from the original clutch to the fixed pin I had to change the helix and add tip weight to get my top end pull back.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
You probably will be closer with 67 gram. There seems to be about 3 grams different in the way they shift. One other thing to consider is that the two clutches don't act the same in the shift curve. When I went from the original clutch to the fixed pin I had to change the helix and add tip weight to get my top end pull back.

Interesting, what was your helix change?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho

Well I went up two grams from 64's to 66's. So that should be close. I have a tool box full of helix's to run so I can play with that also. Thanks for the help.

Thunder

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Now I am all confused. I am currently running the 6 tower Zr/sno pro clutch and have had great results but everyone tells me to go fixed pin.

Why do you think the new clutch sucks?

Thanks

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Iwas running a 53/51 helix with the original clutch to keep my shift curve straight, afterwords I had to go to a straight 53 or it just wouldn't pull on the top end. Also a heavier tip weight. I think the original clutch actually worked better all around and it was a 9 tower, but it sure is nice to not have to replace weight bushings and washers every 500 miles.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
New clutch blows!! I started running the 6 tower ZR 900 clutch.....

I have heard this before but know one has explained why it didn't do what they wanted.

The only thing I have heard is it is hard to get R's out of the FP clutch. But I am tired of the bushing maintenance and BS with the NFP clutch. This is for my backup sled and need not be PERFECT. But I think it will be fine.

Thunder

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Exactly that. R's are tough to hold, not as consistent, damn set screws comes loose, o-rings blow out and on and on. I know they have fixed some of the issues, but the first one's out left a bad taste in my mouth.

I like the ZR clutch, just buy the aftermarket weight bushings that don't wear out or replace the weight bushing often.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Exactly that. R's are tough to hold, not as consistent, damn set screws comes loose, o-rings blow out and on and on. I know they have fixed some of the issues, but the first one's out left a bad taste in my mouth.

I like the ZR clutch, just buy the aftermarket weight bushings that don't wear out or replace the weight bushing often.

Same thing here, FP sucks!!!!

Always run zr 900 6 tower, never had a problem!!! Its basically just like the P-85 polaris clutch.

As far as weights go, Ive always ran polaris 10 series on the naturally asperated stuff. Best all around weight and the bushings are bulletproof compared to anything else ive ever ran!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
So is what you guy's are saying. Cat has an alternate clutch to the 9 post that is 6 post, without the fixed pin assy in 33mm for the ZR900?

Thanks Mike

D
Oct 21, 2008
Idaho
What does adding tip weight do? Im having trouble getting the RPMs to stay up on my 900. Im running modified weights and the tips are really light.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
So is what you guy's are saying. Cat has an alternate clutch to the 9 post that is 6 post, without the fixed pin assy in 33mm for the ZR900?

Thanks Mike

Use a 2003 ZR900 clutch to get NFP and the correct taper.

04 was the only year to have any o-ring problems, the countersink is much deeper on all newer FP clutches.

FP is the only way to fly, they are bullet proof and basically 0 maintenance.

The only time a set screw will come loose is if it isn't properly installed.

Premium Features