• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Off Boost then back on bogggggg... Pls help!!

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
Hey Guys,

I got my 07 boondocker RG turbo W/ ADA and intercooler out for a couple days of digging and cursing... Not exactly what I was hoping for...

Here's the problem... (which consistantly got worse and worse) At the start of the day it ran perfect... I had brand new NGK BR9EW plugs gapped to .020 in it... Then it started to bogg, anytime I had boost, let off the throttle then got back on it, it would bogg, and stall if I didn't let go of the trottle immediately... If it stalled it wouldn't start again, and I would have to pull a plug (which would be dry) and pour some fuel in the cylinder...

At the start of the day I had the boost controller turned all the way down and it was making 10ish psi and pulling hard.... Then it started to do the off/ on throttle bogg, then it would break up and run like sht at wot and only make about 4 psi...

I thought maybe it was a plug issue and swapped them with the plugs the machine came with when I bought it... Also BR9EW's and it was even worse...

One of the guy's I ran into out there said I should try Irridium plugs, and should be going down at least one heat range... What plugs have you guys had the best luck with?? And Gap?

I tried some differant bd settings, and made sure that all the last numbers like the sens and all that were as per boondockers reccomendations...
The first numbers and the PSI low and high numbers were known to work in the area I was riding and came form a reliable source...

The guy I bought the machine from said that it has never done this to him exept when he got the bd box back from being updated and it was not on the advanced mode... I guess the secondary fuel pump was not coming on, he described simillar problems... I will check the wiring to the secondary fuel pump and power the pump up with a car battery and make sure it is flowing some fuel...

Any other ideas? I sure hope I can get the thing working like it was the first 1/2 hour of riding it... It was sick!!!

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
I was told to run stock plugs with stock gap,but your problem almost sounds like a boost leak or something,does your fuel pressure hold at whatever it is set at ,(eg 40psi)then increase 1 to 1 boost to fuel psi?

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
WOW, I couuldn't believe my eyes......I logged on to say the exact same thing! I have a 06 M7 that ran like a raped ape until I had to have the great ADA update. Got it out on the snow with a giant bog at the bottom, leaned it down and spent a couple of times out on the snow and I can get the bog out but if I get out of the throttle and back in it is like I hit the kill switch. In fact I unplugged the kill/throttle safety cause I thought that might be the problem. This sled was a gas and go beast and now I can't trust it. So much for the simplified menu.....More to come when I get my blood preasure down!!!

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
WOW, I couuldn't believe my eyes......I logged on to say the exact same thing! I have a 06 M7 that ran like a raped ape until I had to have the great ADA update. Got it out on the snow with a giant bog at the bottom, leaned it down and spent a couple of times out on the snow and I can get the bog out but if I get out of the throttle and back in it is like I hit the kill switch. In fact I unplugged the kill/throttle safety cause I thought that might be the problem. This sled was a gas and go beast and now I can't trust it. So much for the simplified menu.....More to come when I get my blood preasure down!!!

Hey,

The guy I bought my sled from described the exact same problem when he got his bd box back from the ADA update... Sounds like the seconadry fuel pump is not coming on untill you change the box to advanced mode and get all the adjustments back that the box originally had...

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
I was told to run stock plugs with stock gap,but your problem almost sounds like a boost leak or something,does your fuel pressure hold at whatever it is set at ,(eg 40psi)then increase 1 to 1 boost to fuel psi?

Thanks for the reply,
Ya I have the pressure regulator adjusted to 40 PSI at idle with the vaccum line disconnected, more like 43PSI... Its hard to tell but I think the pressure is going up a bit with boost but really not much...

Are you saying my fuel pressure should be at about 50 PSI at 10 PSI of boost?

When I was trying to see if the PSI gauge was rising with boost the sled was running like such sht I could barely make 4 PSI...

I checked all the charge tube connections, and checked the function of the BOV... (pulled the top off took out spring, made sure it was opening propperly)

Man I hope I get to the bottom of this.. I would sure be interested in seeing your bd numbers including the last few screens especially with you being in Canada aswell... Where are you riding mostly? Revy?

I was By Fernie in the Rolling hills the last couple days... Thanks:beer;

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I was wondering if that was possible. I need to read up on running it in advanced mode to see if that changes anything. I have been on the phone with BD and get nowhere as far as I am concerned. Funny thing is this on worked great with their starting numbers on the old style box. Have you tried yours in advanced mode?

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
I was wondering if that was possible. I need to read up on running it in advanced mode to see if that changes anything. I have been on the phone with BD and get nowhere as far as I am concerned. Funny thing is this on worked great with their starting numbers on the old style box. Have you tried yours in advanced mode?

Ya Mine is the updated box and was in advanced mode when I bought the sled... No idea how to turn the box to advanced... It has all the adjustments again on advanced... You should be able to get your old numbers back in er...

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
Hey Dubbs,I ride Fernie -Rolling Hills-just there last Saturday for an awesome ride-no one else around and Revy/Golden.I'm running the attitude box,but if anyone is interested I have an BD ADA box that has never been hooked up.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Hey Guys,

I got my 07 boondocker RG turbo W/ ADA and intercooler out for a couple days of digging and cursing... Not exactly what I was hoping for...

Here's the problem... (which consistantly got worse and worse) At the start of the day it ran perfect... I had brand new NGK BR9EW plugs gapped to .020 in it... Then it started to bogg, anytime I had boost, let off the throttle then got back on it, it would bogg, and stall if I didn't let go of the trottle immediately... If it stalled it wouldn't start again, and I would have to pull a plug (which would be dry) and pour some fuel in the cylinder...

At the start of the day I had the boost controller turned all the way down and it was making 10ish psi and pulling hard.... Then it started to do the off/ on throttle bogg, then it would break up and run like sht at wot and only make about 4 psi...

I thought maybe it was a plug issue and swapped them with the plugs the machine came with when I bought it... Also BR9EW's and it was even worse...

One of the guy's I ran into out there said I should try Irridium plugs, and should be going down at least one heat range... What plugs have you guys had the best luck with?? And Gap?

I tried some differant bd settings, and made sure that all the last numbers like the sens and all that were as per boondockers reccomendations...
The first numbers and the PSI low and high numbers were known to work in the area I was riding and came form a reliable source...

The guy I bought the machine from said that it has never done this to him exept when he got the bd box back from being updated and it was not on the advanced mode... I guess the secondary fuel pump was not coming on, he described simillar problems... I will check the wiring to the secondary fuel pump and power the pump up with a car battery and make sure it is flowing some fuel...

Any other ideas? I sure hope I can get the thing working like it was the first 1/2 hour of riding it... It was sick!!!

You said the plugs were dry?? Did you pull the exhaust valve and see if you burned it down? It sounds to me like you lost a cylinder. Which side do you have to pour fuel in? It sounds like you may have burned it down.

If it is a fuel related issue, then your PTO side is more likely to burn down because it is the last cylinder to get fuel from pressure from both fuel rails.

Look down the exhaust valve and check the pistons and make sure there was no Deto and that they didn't melt.

K
Nov 26, 2007
ada

also make sure you check your injectors, i just torched the rings on pto cuz the bx wasnt sending the correct voltage to that injector, to get into advanced mode you can hold sel and left arrow at the same time, then you can add all your old #,s to the diff ranges, good luck, i was warned a few times about the bd bx but had to see it to beleive it. long story short it cost me about 800.00 in damage.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
You said the plugs were dry?? Did you pull the exhaust valve and see if you burned it down? It sounds to me like you lost a cylinder. Which side do you have to pour fuel in? It sounds like you may have burned it down.

If it is a fuel related issue, then your PTO side is more likely to burn down because it is the last cylinder to get fuel from pressure from both fuel rails.

Look down the exhaust valve and check the pistons and make sure there was no Deto and that they didn't melt.

Ya I havent had time to look into the cylinder and see what the wash looks like... The EGT's were fine... I think a lot of these turbo M's have the same problem with not starting when shut down hot... I know my 06 TM7 will do the same thing if I get it stuck bad after a long pull and don't want to leave it running... I know some guys are putting a switch in the wire that goes to a coolant temp sensor that is close to the coolant output from the turbo... I guess opening this wire makes the sled think its cold and inject more fuel when you are pulling it over... Still haven't located that wire... Would like to though...

It runs great other than when it's under boost... Super responsive on the low end.. great through the mid... Until I push the throttle a bit further and it starts to build too much boost...

I will however check those pistons... Thanks,

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
Advanced mode doesn't change how the secondary injectors work, it just gives you more tuning options. One thing to know is that the earlier non-ADA box ran both the stock and secondary injectors together as boost increased. The ADA version runs the secondaries only after boost is above a certain amount (typically 3-5psi, there is a hidden setting to adjust this), so if you were having a problem with your secondaries before, the earlier box could have masked this (you could have increased the boost fuel numbers to make up for the missing secondary fuel), right up until you ran out of fuel on the primaries at high boost. There is a way to test the secondary injectors using the nitrous button at idle since in this condition the button only turns on the secondaries - (set N2O fuel to 50, should start to flood the engine if they're working).

If it was working and now isn't on the same ride, then you likely have an intermittent problem - electrical short, boost leak, broken reed valve, etc. I would strongly recommend finding someone who knows how to diagnose turbo issues to help you - finding the cause and effect can be very confusing if you don't understand what everything does. Also, using the Stats screen on the control box, EGTs, and an O2 sensor can greatly help if you have a tuning issue.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Updating your box

If you sled runs and you are happy with it do not get it updated. Just because every one tells you that it works better don't mean it will for you. We saw this with the 07 m1000 the first program was the best unless you rode under 3000 ft then it had a lean spot. 90% of the people that had there boxes updated were unhappy. The ada system works different than the old box. In my opinion the best box they had was the PSI box loved it. I will admit that the ADA works great on a Pump gas M8.

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
Sorry guys,all the M1000 guys I know have gone to PL or attitude box,the BD boxes have wreaked a few sleds also-mine was a right off,then rebuilt it as a TT set up,way better for me now.Hate to say it,but those are the facts.I know guys that had both boxes on their sleds to test with,and they are now running attitude boxes.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
If you sled runs and you are happy with it do not get it updated. Just because every one tells you that it works better don't mean it will for you. We saw this with the 07 m1000 the first program was the best unless you rode under 3000 ft then it had a lean spot. 90% of the people that had there boxes updated were unhappy. The ada system works different than the old box. In my opinion the best box they had was the PSI box loved it. I will admit that the ADA works great on a Pump gas M8.

I want to go to more of a pump gas setup... Maybe mix and run 10-11?... Don't really know yet. I guess the pump gas kits don't have the secondary injectors do they... Is this where the problem is?

I guess I will need a new waste gate actuator to go to pump gas... I wonder if some people are keeping the secondary injectors deleting the intercooler and changing out actuator and having good luck on pump gas?...

I hope I can get some more advise as far as things to try not just the ada box is sht and the bd box is sht.... I really appreciate the replies but there has got to be some more things I can do with the settings.... Thanks:beer;

Premium Features