• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Ford 6.7L powerstroke 4

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
This new Ford built diesel is gonna be a gooder!:D Smooth, quiet and powerful. I like and I want.

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
So do I, just don't want to have to pay for it. If I could trade even up for my 05... but I really love my truck. Guess I'll have to see them around town.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
brand new engine....no history....a little over 2 years in development, good luck....i think i'd want a least two years of watching before i'd buy...let the high mileage boys and the hot-shotters get over 100k and see where the weak points are, and there will be some...engine exhaust on top of engine?...right where everything else is too?....can't see that working very well pulling a load in the summer....hope it works out for ford, as i like their trucks, but i just bought a 2010 to last until the new one gets the problems figured out..:D

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Yes time will tell. But it will put a better impression on you than past 6.4's and 6.0's. right out of the box. Well it did me anyway and I have put a ton of miles on power strokes since the first 94 7.3.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Waiting a couple years to see if there are bugs is like an old wives tail nowadays, in a year or 2 the engine will totally change again so if you want it just buy it.It will work and it will be on warranty anyways.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Waiting a couple years to see if there are bugs is like an old wives tail nowadays, in a year or 2 the engine will totally change again so if you want it just buy it.It will work and it will be on warranty anyways.

Thats my view on the subject. I have always run a 7.3L but I just recently purchased an 08 6.4. Its all under warranty so if it has problems it is covered. alot of the bugs are worked out on these trucks now with the recalls and updates so Im pretty confident in my purchase. My father has a few 6.4l for his business and they had alot of issues out of the box, but all fixed now and they have been running great for 85k miles now.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Saw one at the auto show in Phoeniz. Open the fuel tank door, it has 2 fills, one for diesel, one for diesel exhaust fluid. Welcome to the wonderful world of urea injection. Cummins and Duramax will have it also.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Saw one at the auto show in Phoeniz. Open the fuel tank door, it has 2 fills, one for diesel, one for diesel exhaust fluid. Welcome to the wonderful world of urea injection. Cummins and Duramax will have it also.

false. the cummins passed the emissions until 2012 with no urea injection. and the exhaust is in the valley of the motor on the 7.3 and the 6.0, so there is nothing different with the exhaust routing, just the turbo configuration.

B

blackcat900

Nov 26, 2007
Chelan WA.
false. the cummins passed the emissions until 2012 with no urea injection. and the exhaust is in the valley of the motor on the 7.3 and the 6.0, so there is nothing different with the exhaust routing, just the turbo configuration.
You must not own a ford or seen under the hood of a 7.3l or 6.0l cause exhaust manifolds are not in the valley only the new 6.7l.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
whether the truck is under warranty or not....who takes care of my trailer if the pig breaks down 1/2 way across east dogpatch (wyo)....and if it takes a month for ford to fix it, like it did last time....i don't want to be out my truck in the middle of the season....and i don't need my 180k boat sitting on the side of a two lane road in central utah for two days while i figure how to retrieve it.....just cause it's under warranty doesn't solve the problem of a poor design or initial manufacturing screwups....and further, it is clear from a couple of the responses that you don't have the slightest idea of where the exhaust on the ford diesels is....and just who has driven and owns a 6.7 ford?.....and i've owned a 6.7 dodge, and they haven't figured out how to keep the turbos from sooting up and destroying the turbos, and now the ecu on the new trucks will scramble the signals if any aftermarket chip, etc. is put on the truck....so all the manufacturers have a long way to go to solve the emissions problems, and ford has a completely new, untested engine besides...and yes, waiting a couple of years for them to improve the problems of poor/incomplete design may indeed make significant changes to a new engine, which is the exact point of waiting...

Last edited:

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
All manufactures are building all their 2010 diesels before the end of year 1010 to avoid urea injection. The Ford for sure, the Dodge for sure, and the Chevy for sure will have urea injection on the Trucks titled 2011. The alternative is a very complex, expensive, and horsepower robbing egr system. Consumption is expected to be around 3 gal per 100 gal of diesel fuel. The upside for us is that at low temperatures the exhaust stream is cool enough that urea won't be necessary, so the truck should use very little in the winter. I have seen the systems on the Fords, I have seen the information from GM, and read about it on Dodge's web site. You can thank your senator for all this fun, the federal emission regulation for diesel nox reduced from 4ppm per brake horsepower per hr, to .2 starting Jan 1 2010.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
I just knew you would come over to the Ford side of life....Even know the ol' diapermax impressed me on the journey from No. Dak.:):beer;:beer;

I was forced into liking Ford.;) But you will never get me to the dark side of Ski-Doo! Just kidding. I have put over a million miles on Ford PSD's and the only time I can remember being left on the side of the road was from an over worked alternator. There's no doubt they are double tough trucks and we have put them through hell and back. The duramax has impressed me to. I'm not gonna lie. But the Power Stroke just may have caught up with the new 6.7L PS and the new 6R transmission.

The new engine and tranny have been tested. Maybe not by the consumer so much but Ford has done testing on top of testing of this new combo. I have driven the 2011 and I do know the exhaust is in the middle of the engine. The injectors are on the outside too. I don't own a 2011 Ford Super Duty but I do get to drive one onto the ground for the next six months here in Wyoming. And from what I have witnessed so far is a much improved engine tranny combo over previous years.

So don't buy one now if you think it will break down and take a month to fix. Its that simple.:) Ford has addressed that too. They will no longer have to remove the cab to do minor repairs like it has in the past.

I would buy one when they come out but I'm waiting for the unproven, untested F-150 with a diesel.:D

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
I have a buddy that just purchased a 09 6.4 and was mad at himself for not waiting for the 6.7. Just like any new motor though give it a couple years to get all the quirks worked out. My other buddy has a late 08 6.4 and loves it and is getting 16mpg which isnt hot but its better than having a pickup in the shop. The biggest thing i have been told is to always make sure you are always up to date on kepping it serviced.

Last edited:

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota

The exhaust on the 7.3 and 6.0 have conventional manifolds that are located on the outboard side of the head, like every other v8 engine, the turbo sits in the valley-think that is what you meant to say, the new 6.7 uses a new compacted graphite block which is lighter and stronger than cast iron, it weighs 160 lbs less than the 6.4, it has aluminum cyl heads with inboard exhaust and outboard intake manifolds, this new design improves turbo response, quieter running and cooler temps, reduces exhaust volume by 50%, another cool deal is the turbo, it uses one turbo with two compressor wheels driven off the same turbine shaft, the wheels have different air ratios etc, basically like having a twin turbo without cramming two turbos in there, also has new piezo injectors which deliver up to 5 injections per cycle, the diesel exhaust fluid intervals look like about 7500 miles from the literature I was sent. There was alot of thought put into the design, tayloring to customers needs, efficiency, power etc. I sure there will be some kinks to work out initially like anything.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i think its cool they are braching away from the standard intake in the center to exhuast out the center.. definately a wayto get some short exhaust housings an insane boost fast. the new turbo design sounds interesting as well, i want to look into them. not having to remove the cab is a good design idea!

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
It might sound silly to some, but I actually think weight is a plus in a diesel engine. Sure, you're having to push around an extra 200#'s, but in a truck that size, if the engine is designed well, it won't matter. In a diesel, I'm much more concerned about longevity, that's why I spend the extra $5K when buying it.

I still don't understand why Cummins is the only platform using the inline-six format. When all other issues are equal, (displacement, injection method, fuel map, the I-6 produces much more torque, and in a diesel application, torque is what you want.

I'm not trying to say Cummins is better than this, or that, just why are Ford and GM stuck on a V block? I thought Ford had a good thing going with that 7.3, the 6.0 turned out so well they made the 6.4, and that hasn't work so well, so now another one? C'mon guys. Anyone wonder why so many of the large diesel engines out there are I-6's? There's a reason.

PE

Last edited:
Premium Features