• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 KTM 500 nice upgrade

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
My 500 has always been the quiet slow and steady bike in my riding group. Every thing I could find out about this detuned KTM was that a mild cam was the way KTM set this bike back as an easy dirt bike to ride. I tried several pipes and muffler.............NADA, not gooder just louder. This last week I bought a DANIEL CROWER performance cam for my 500, $837 to my door. Installed it a took a ride. OK, likely not a 100 hp, but can pull a gear higher on a lot of climbs, made the stock exhaust much much louder, picks up rpm low range and up much faster, a lot faster , rather than mild steady pull, really picksup in the mid range and up, I never could find any info about a cam up grade......... now I know, I can recommend it, flat works and easy install. Talking with Daniel he assured my that no other mods necessary if I would run it at 190 degrees, and he was right. A little chippy on the idle, starts easy, smooth once up and moving, I like it.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
catsledman1, thanks for info. I wonder if the newer 500's benefit as much as the older. might have to give crower a call.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
catsledman1, thanks for info. I wonder if the newer 500's benefit as much as the older. might have to give crower a call.
This year I installed a DCR V4 cam in my KTM 2020 450 sxf and was amazed at the difference just the cam alone made. Daniel is a very knowledgeable man and worth talking to. At first I thought the V4 cam might be a bit much right up until I was on the hill. I think any new bike would benefit from a cam change for a snowbike.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Different bike but same story. I installed cams in my YZ450 this year expecting more top end which I got but what has surprised me is the added torque and power down low and thru the midrange. I suspect the LSA is tighter than stock but I don't know that for sure, there is more lift and duration for sure. I can lug it way more and it will pull thru times when I would have previously down shifted. I made some other changes at the same time (porting, intake and tune) but I'm still convinced the cams work.

My backup/old bike is a YZ450 with the GYTR CNC head and race cams. I never rode that bike without the head so I don't know how much difference that made over stock. What's going to be very interesting is my buddy and I built identical bikes with the GYTR heads. He is currently re-assembling his motor, also a backup bike now, with the Athena 500cc big bore cylinder. The two bikes will be identical (different kits) with the exception of the big bore and likely a different tune on his so it should me a good measuring stick on where is a good place to spend your money. I've always preferred porting and cams over big bores, his bike will have both, mine just the cams and porting. We shall see.

M5

E
Dec 19, 2007
450sx cam swap into 500 does not work unfortunately
Why not? I thought the base engines were mechanically the same except stroke is longer on 500.

My 350 was a 2014xcw. I installed sxf cams from a 2012 I got on eBay for $100. That's it. Didn't even have to adjust the valves. The only tuning I did was monkey with the tps to fix the off idle hiccup. Best mod ever for snow bike.

G

gorillam

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2017
Tried it didnt work, cam fit valves didnt crash, not good power. DCR cam works good buuut loses a fair bit of torque. But far better then the sxf cam. I know I am in the same boat as you, in theory it should work.

Premium Features