• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 belts exploding

S
Aug 16, 2009
cda idaho
09 m8 sno pro 162 belt issues 1500 miles junked 4 blew 6 or 7 need help been to dealer many times no fix yet help tried ac belts carllie belts lasting longer not long enough though

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If deflection, alignment, and motor are correct you will not blow belts. If your motor is twisted in the chassis or alignment or deflection are off you will blow belts. On an 800 to blow belts like this something is WRONG. Also, every time you blow or snap a belt it causes crankshaft damage. Get 'er fixed!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
If deflection, alignment, and motor are correct you will not blow belts. If your motor is twisted in the chassis or alignment or deflection are off you will blow belts. On an 800 to blow belts like this something is WRONG. Also, every time you blow or snap a belt it causes crankshaft damage. Get 'er fixed!

I have a little over 500 miles of hard riding on ONE belt !

Usally its a alignment issue. Deflection while can be hard on them usally effects the performance more the anything.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Venting will help if you don't have extra already, but breaking the belt in properly is the most important. I did some measuring before and after venting the vents i added made a big difference in belt wear, and i always break my belt in properly and my spare, it could also be alignment issue's as well as said above.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN

I wish all that was true. We have checked and re-checked everything. Parallelism, alignment, deflection. Many times during the season.

Going with venting this year. Would have done so last year, but picked the sled up late in the season and rode it a month. I put on about 3,000 miles and belt life was getting down to the 400 mile range. Seems like I wasted half the month just breaking in belts.

Just a note though, this is a Crossfire and I ride mostly on boring flatland. The 800 motor on the 09 pulls awesome compared to the previous years. Just seems like the belts can't take the long straights.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
Put a marker line on the secondary faces and one on the spring coils where they would touch if there was a coil bind situation. Run it and see what you get. I have a buddy that has an 09 CF 800 and his secondary was not setup properly and it would coil bind the spring on the Long UP rail grade trails at WFO.

Same thing would happen, Belt would just blow a part. he could do it on command almost. get the sled to 85 then pin it for 10-15 seconds and Pow, the belt would blow.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
On my 09 m1000 if you go over 80mph for 15 sec it will blow the belt, if I keep it under that they last but wear fast and to hot, I think a lot of it is the stiff a$$ secondary spring.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You're clutches could be overshifting on a long flat run. If you run a belt over the top of the primary or into the bottom of the secondary, your belt is gone!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If you are overshifting, I would gear it up. You can mark the clutches and check this. If your parallelism and alignement is correct and this is occuring on long straights, your primary is simply going faster than the secondary is allowed to go because of gearing and you just saw the belts in half. Check that angle.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
me too!

I wish all that was true. We have checked and re-checked everything. Parallelism, alignment, deflection. Many times during the season.

Going with venting this year. Would have done so last year, but picked the sled up late in the season and rode it a month. I put on about 3,000 miles and belt life was getting down to the 400 mile range. Seems like I wasted half the month just breaking in belts.

Just a note though, this is a Crossfire and I ride mostly on boring flatland. The 800 motor on the 09 pulls awesome compared to the previous years. Just seems like the belts can't take the long straights.

I have a 2009 162 M8 and riding on the flats at home, I cannot hold it wide open either, I have Gernaded 2 belts at about 90mph!!
I have taken matters into my own hands and purchased the 11" STM old style helix secondary clutch, with longer belts, weighted down in the primary and never had another problem! I do not know why Cat engineers have not changed the secondary on these machines, they have proven to be the weak link in these sleds!! 1000miles on the new clutch system and one belt! that belt looks so good I'm going to ride it another season!
Clutching woes simply GONE!!!

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
A huge issue is where the spare belt holder is. The pipe wraps right over top of it and it just cooks the belt. If you put your spare belt in your seat compartment I have found that they will last 2 times as long. There are other problems also but keep your spare in your seat and it will make a big diff.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
On my 09 m1000 if you go over 80mph for 15 sec it will blow the belt, if I keep it under that they last but wear fast and to hot, I think a lot of it is the stiff a$$ secondary spring.

My buddies 09 M1000 Snopro does this exact same thing and he is pulling his hair out to figure it out. His sled is bone stock........clutches are alligned and have been checked for allignment multiple times........however get the sled motoring flat out down the trail........hold it there for more than 20-30 seconds and BAM!!! Gernaded belt every time. I will let him know about the coil bind possibility......as well as the under-geared possibility......but man it's frustrating. There are 3 other 09 M1000's in the bunch and they run fine......

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I didn't know this either until one of techs at SLP told me about it. They have experienced the same problems and had thought about marketing a fix but never got around to it.

I was told that it has something to do with (if I remember correctly) the diameter of the secondary clutch? I just remember I was told not to hold the throttle open for more than 15 seconds.

Does a secondary change take care of the problem?

Premium Features