• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Horizontal Propane Tank Installation

S
Jul 8, 2008
Butte, MT
I have seen on some of the other posts where people have mounted a horizontal propane tank between axles on an enclosed trailer. Is there anyone out there who has done this that can give me a more detailed list of parts that they used and any tips with pictures. I'd like to mount one or two 7-gallon horizontal tanks under my enclosed. I need an access for filling the tanks on the outside of the trailer along with running two lines from the tank(s). One will go to my procom blue flame heater in the trailer (up throught the floor) and the second I want to run to the edge of the trailer so I can hookup a BBQ. Safety is a big question here with regards to whether I need to build a cage for the tank for protection (it will sit as high as the axles of the trailer) and regulators/shut-off's for the system.

Any help is much appreciated.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Me tooooo

I have a 27 ft Interstate and I am also interested in doing the same thing.

I do know that one problem is that the typical BBQ tank is designed to stand up to get proper flow.

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
propane tanks

I had an older slide-in camper. went to the local propane to get the tank filled. The manager looks at the tank and said he can't fill it. The reason was because the tank was laying on it's side where it suppose to be. I had to buy a speciall tank that was designed to be laid on it's side. The reason behind this as was explained to me; if you take a regular upright propane tank and lay it over, the liquid fuel will flow out the valve and not the gas. Which could cause a very bad mess if the liquid ignited

S
Jul 8, 2008
Butte, MT
You have to use a horizontal tank when laying it on its side. What I need is the fiitings that may have been used, brakets, how the tank is filled (do you crawl under the trailer or do you setup a filler inlet), plumbing the line into the trailer, etc...

Good comments keep them coming!

Thanks...

M

mtnmax97

Dec 24, 2007
Yakima WA
bottle

I use a propane bottle out of motor home and I put it up front just under the nose so the frame rails protect it.
I had to run a seperate fill line and shut off valve to the side so I can fill it with out crowling under the trailer. And by law you have to have a shut off value accessable if there is a crash

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Getting Horizontal

I found a 38 gal Horizontal tank out of a Motor Home.
4 ft long looks like I can mount it behind the axles cross wise.
I like the quick couple idea inside the trailer so the Heater (s) wont be in harms way if it need to be moved.

Cabelloes has the Big Buddy refurb units on sale for 89.00 reg 149.00 don't know how this program works. Check out the Web site. I had an Olympian in my last outfit, very expensive but worth it.

Worst case drill a hole thru the floor and when you get to where you are going set the tank on the ground.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
like this?

the only problem ive had is the outlet is right inline with the frame member of the trailer (last pic) so only one place around here with a 90 degree adaptor to clear the frame. but really the tank only needs to be filled once a year since it holds 29 gal of propane

DSC00582.jpg DSC00583.jpg DSC00584.jpg

S
Jul 8, 2008
Butte, MT
Nice install! I may wish that I had went to the junk yard to find a bigger tank. Anyway I ordered a 7 gallon tank from a local dealer here. I plan on connecting a remote filler so that I can easily refill the tank.

S
Jul 8, 2008
Butte, MT
Very Important!!! When ordering a tank don't just order a horizontal tank you want a permanently installed horizonatl tank. Apparently, some manufacturers make a tank for motorhomes that is on a drawer. In service it is horizontal but when you fill it you have to be able to tilt it vertically. I ended up lucking out at the local propane store. They had an old 6 gallon that just needs a little TLC. I will install a remote filler so I can easily have it filled when it is low.

S
Oct 21, 2004
Puyallup, WA
Yes it is money well spent to add the remote filler, Here are the pictures of my install.
It should also be taken into account how low the tank is going to hang down below the trailer. I ended up going with a 10" diameter tank because of the added clearance over a 12" tank.

Here are the pics.
Remote Filler
P1120091.jpg

Remote filler visible from standing next to trailer
P1120087.jpg

Tank mounted behind in floor tire storage compartment
P1120090.jpg

X
Oct 4, 2010
Mad Town,WI
I'm bringing an old thread back!
I've been searching awhile for a used ASME permanent mount tank. Finally found a used one for $50. Had to drive an hour to get it, but well worth it.
The tank needed a paint job. I used engine degreaser with a steel brush and sanded it down. I used Rustoleum Primer and then Gloss Protective Enamel. A couple coats of each. I used a rubber band and bags to protect the valves.

I got mine mounted this last weekend.
I drove carriage bolts from the inside of the trailer down, with some spacers underneath. I mounted the tank behind the axle. The tank still sits higher then the axle. This should be added protection.
I haven't started running my propane lines yet. I have run into the same problem as RobertJoke. The propane line will have to run through the frame member. From there I will run the line into the inner wall. Do you have any more pictures or info on the 90 degree adapters that you used? I am buying flexible marine grade lpg tubing, so it will be flexible so I could wrap around it.
The remote fill lines will be added later next year. Future project.
Here are some pics.

Last edited:
Premium Features