• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A fix for broken hood tabs

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Like many folks I broke the tabs off that retain the hood. Its not a hard thing, they are constructed of a molded plastic injected with fiberglass. Their small size, location and material make this no surprise. Combined with rough mountain riding and cold weather its amazing they work at all.

To date folks have glued, screwed and got screwed by having to replace the hood. No real fix is available that addresses the cause for the problem.

This is what I have came up with. Constructed of solid aluminum, utilizing two 10-32 bolts with a solid aluminum backing plate. This allows the pressure to be equally distributed to the hood. They are .100” taller then stock tabs providing a minimal interference when riding. They provide ¼” more tension to help keep the hood closed for those unfortunate roll-overs.

M8HoodTabFix021.jpg

The stock tab is cut and grinded smooth. Two holes are drilled using the backing plate as a template.

M8HoodTabFix003.jpg

M8HoodTabFix012.jpg

They are fitted into the tab recess

M8HoodTabFix014.jpg

M8HoodTabFix013.jpg

M8HoodTabFix009.jpg

Secured from behind using stainless steel cap screws. I used a clear epoxy on the inside of both half’s and added Loc-tite to the screws.

M8HoodTabFix016.jpg

M8HoodTabFix019.jpg

M8HoodTabFix018.jpg

M8HoodTabFix019.jpg

And there you have it, its just a prototype and I have yet too put them in the field, but from the looks of it this will be the last time I will fight this problem!

If there’s any interest I may consider making more and selling them

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
the chips will be flying...................

Didn’t expect this kind of response…………………….

They are $47.50 shipped to the lower 48, Alaska or British Colombia. For those who want more then one pair PM me we will work out a better deal.

This includes all the hardware necessary for mounting

As far as a warranty, if you break them send them back you deserve another set!

Paypal to crush_71@msn.com I will take checks and money orders as well, but they must clear prior to shipping.

Currently I am waiting for stock, so 2 weeks, hopefully sooner and they will be in the mail.

Fitment: these should fit other models of Arctic Cat such as Crossover, F, Etc. However, I don’t have a hood for any of these to ensure that. If you want to make a go of it I will return your money if they don’t fit or make you a special set that does. If there’s any problems with fitment let me know and we will get it squared away.

rsp111

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Much cheaper to drill hole in the top and put in a small wood screw.

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
Oh i don't know... they look a little heavier then what's stock. LOL. just kidding, they look great nice job.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
You need some chinese people to start making those for you so you can bring that price point down!!!

I've got a buddy that speaks mandarin, let me know if I can help :D

I wish I could make them cheaper and still make it worth my time. As it sits theres a good hour in and half per pair. And no, I dont have a million dolar cnc machine to crank them out of.........

Anyways, I should have some ready soon if folks are still intrested

Premium Features