• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 975 electrical issue - Try and solve this one?????????/

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
My 975 is having issues again, no reverse, low idle and OUT OF IDEAS!!!

Here's what I've done in the last 200 miles,

New stator - Fastrax installed

New voltage regulator - Carles installed

New hood harness due to melt - Fastrax

All wires inspected and fixed for wear - Carles and Fastrax several hours

Reverse switch tested and working - Fastrax

TPS inspected the harness and tweeked up a little - Fastrax

No Codes - Premier Polaris

New ECU - No change

We are out of ideas other than the rest of the wire harness, anyone have a clue?

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
for the price of the harness id probally replace it any way's polaris's wiring harness are so cheaply made that most of them break when you pull the engine or zip tye them up to tight.. sorry i couldnt be more help.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
it's new but it was ugly. I also added a fastrax fuel controller and haven't been able to set it up yet due to the problem above.

What do you think about clogged injectors?

I don't know, that kinda sounds unlikley ... have you cleaned your exhaust valves latley? I don't know if exhaust valve operation effects idle or if that's more for WOT operation .... perhaps one could be sticking?

If you throttle up a little bit will it hold at 2500 RPM or so? can you switch to reverse then?

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
I don't know, that kinda sounds unlikley ... have you cleaned your exhaust valves latley? I don't know if exhaust valve operation effects idle or if that's more for WOT operation .... perhaps one could be sticking?

If you throttle up a little bit will it hold at 2500 RPM or so? can you switch to reverse then?

I can throttle up but no reverse. Exaust valves are clean.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
I had a problem with my 900 not wanting to idle and nothing would happen when you hit the perc button. Replaced tps sensor and the problem was solved. There was no check engine light on anything to tell me there was a problem so I scratced my head for awhile like you. For less than $200 it might be worth a try. I feel your pain man:beer;

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I can throttle up but no reverse. Exaust valves are clean.

I would look at that TPS sensor again man.

I had the same problem you did last year. Exact same problem. It eventually evolved however into my sled would idle or run WOT but nothing in between.

I had one dealer look at it, and "supposedly" they re-calibrated the TPS and it was "fine".

Come to find out, and I dont even know if they did or not, the wiring harness had melted....

Put the new pigtail on, boom, problem solved.

If they haven't replaced the pigtail on it yet I would request that they do so as well as make sure the harness is routed so as not to be pinched off or can rub against the exhaust or anything anywyer.e.

I kinda have a feeling those TPS harnesses can befuddle you.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
my friend has a 2006 900 switchback and i seemed to be doing the same thing yours is doing .... what it came down to is he broke one of the motor mounts and the torq stops witch created more vibration than normal and the idle screw backed off witch made it idle really low and he couldnt get it into reverse..... just give it a try:cool:

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
measure the compression if its low its the reason no reverse

idle up the engine with the idle screw( to hard to do with the filpper)now try the reverse

also if it works with idle turned up and compression is good try to set fuel screws out a little and try reverse

I have had all the above snags with the perc system and the low compression being the most prevalent

Good luck

Ps heard a guy had a bad crank (one lower rod bearing) and his reverse also didnt work

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
measure the compression if its low its the reason no reverse

idle up the engine with the idle screw( to hard to do with the filpper)now try the reverse

also if it works with idle turned up and compression is good try to set fuel screws out a little and try reverse

I have had all the above snags with the perc system and the low compression being the most prevalent

Good luck

Ps heard a guy had a bad crank (one lower rod bearing) and his reverse also didnt work

Brand new top end and 1 lung 200 miles ago and the crank was good. Turned up the tps a little and nothing. I think it still runs at full wood.

Premium Features