• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RACE GAS TESTING OF SPI & STOCK FUEL FILTERS FOR 2013 PRO's

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I just recieved my order of the SPI fuel fiter from Randy at GO BIG. It arrived in about business days.... Thanks!

http://www.gobigparts.com/SPI-FUEL-LINE-W-FILTER-121717.html

http://www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=241865&stc=1&d=1416536737

Ok... for the test...

Many have been concerned about running race gas through the stock and through the SPI fiters... some have had some serious issues... while others have not. Running in 10% - 100% race fuel.

So I thought a test was in order.

This photo shows the SPI and a Stock 2013 PRO RMK Filter, Side by side... The first thing I noticed was that the SPI had better quality hose with a metal braid that the stock ones don't.... the SPI will not kink the hose as easily.

They both look of similar construction otherwise, but the stock filter has a bit more surface area...more paper element.

STOCK 2013 FILTER TOP, SPI BOTTOM
attachment.php

I cut both of the units open to be able to submerse both in Sunoco 110 Race fuel at 100% strength.

I'll let them soak for a week and then check them out again.... I'll continue to check in on them throughout the season to see how they'll fare and report back. :noidea:

attachment.php

attachment.php

SPI in Pack.jpg Fuel test.jpg Open w stock.jpg side by side.jpg

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
looks to be more pleats in in the stocker and different materials not sure which materials better but the stock looks thicker. will just soaking show any kind of results or does a guy need to do a flow test to see some real action

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'm looking to see if decomposition of the glue or element, because of the race fuel, is going to occur.

Yes...as noted above... the stock filter has more surface area than the SPI... As far as the filter "ratings"... the stocker is rated at 10µ... not sure about the SPI and I have no way to test that.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks Eric...

As for the very few, previous issues, one has to wonder about the pump fuel additives and higher octane pump fuel (Super) being "stagnant" from lack of turnover (sale's) while sitting in 1/2 full to almost empty tanks in very, very cold and mountain areas.

I'd also like to see a test of 75/25 pump to race combo and 50/50 as this is more along the lines of what a lot of the boost guys are running. Of course that would take more filters and more money....which we know you have alot of to burn.

But I am interested to see your results.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Eric I had problems with AV gas and the hose itself the inside dia would decrease with standing fuel .I used AV gas for summer storage as it has a much longer shelf life .
The restriction was very noticeable with the filter itself removed from the hose and simply blowing through the hose ,the filter is fine and works well the hose is plastic and small in ID any decrease is a restriction in flow at WOT when you need it the most . My ASNU machine shows a 15cc loss in flow in a 25 second cycle at 40psi.
compared to a new hose with filter removed .

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Thanks for doing this mountainhorse. The toluene and benzene components of race gas is what causes the delamination of the bonding agent as they have some of the highest Kb values (solvency power) of any solvents known. From my experience, soaking them won't necessarily show the failure. It's when the gas dries that the bonding agent's plasticizers go with the solvent (race gas) and evaporate. That's when the filter will come apart (same with the hoses as slash points out). You've soaked them long enough... I would let them dry out now and see what happens.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have not run any race gas. But...

I ran a spi filter last year, before starting it even this year i swapped a new filter in its place.... Spi also. Drained all last years fuel to put in my commuter car.

Took the sled out for the first ride and siezed the pto side.

Sent the whole shebang back to indydan as i am two years into my three year warrenty and i wanted to keep it intact.

Upon testing of my injectors ( new with the lrtm3) the pto injector was completely plugged and the mag side spraying like chit.

So in short i will be running only the poo filter from now on.

I dont know if the filter came apart or failed to catch debris.
Wish i had saved the effing thing to cut open.

All the fuel run through this sled has been non ethanol premium.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
..................Slash... The liner on the factory hoses is PTFE... I'm surprised by your results.... not sure what

If the liner is anything like the common hardware store "Teflon" plumbers pipe tape; all but the best brands are nearly 80 plus percent fillers. You really have to pay big money for 100% pure virgin Teflon in anything these days. I'd bet the hose liners are far from 100 percent virgin Teflon.

FWIW

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I have not run any race gas. But...

I ran a spi filter last year, before starting it even this year i swapped a new filter in its place.... Spi also. Drained all last years fuel to put in my commuter car.

Took the sled out for the first ride and siezed the pto side.

Sent the whole shebang back to indydan as i am two years into my three year warrenty and i wanted to keep it intact.

Upon testing of my injectors ( new with the lrtm3) the pto injector was completely plugged and the mag side spraying like chit.

So in short i will be running only the poo filter from now on.

I dont know if the filter came apart or failed to catch debris.
Wish i had saved the effing thing to cut open.

All the fuel run through this sled has been non ethanol premium.

2011 four hole injectors or 2012-2015 Bosch 8 hole injectors?

The difference in spray pattern of the two types is pretty dramatic. Just curious which injector type you had clog?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
2011 four hole injectors or 2012-2015 Bosch 8 hole injectors?

The difference in spray pattern of the two types is pretty dramatic. Just curious which injector type you had clog?

2011 updated yellow injectors.
Indy dan is the one who tested them.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Gotcha. I built a test rig at my place and fired my 2011 and 2012 injectors before installing them as per Indy Dans recommendation. He told me the difference in spray pattern was pretty dramatic- and it is. My 2011 injectors puke fuel where the 2012 has a more distinctive pattern. I was wondering if the 2011 was less prone to clogging because of the size of the holes. Your experience seems to indicate that this is not the case.

Thanks for the reply.

Murph

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Update

Well... I've left them out drying over the holidays....

Checked on them and the adhesive and filters are just fine... both the stock and SPI.

My next check will be to soak them in Ethanol 91 mixed 50/50 with the race... to see if there is any other softening...

Then I'm going to try some of the common fuel cleaners/treatment.. like techron and SeaFoam.

If that does not do anything... I'll soak them both in toluene.

I Did get a chance to help someone out in Michigan when I was there for the holidays... stock filter came apart... I opened it up on the bench.... and the adhesive was still intact.... but lots of crap in the tank, the lines and the injectors of the SBA... 2900 miles on the original filter... I think it came apart from pressure and being clogged more than anything else... He ran a high comp head, 20% 110VP-Race and 91 pump with 10% ethanol... Plus he used SeaFoam. We could not get the injectors clean... and ended up replacing them with some used ones that were cleaned and checked.

Change out the filters at least every season is key so far.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Is time or volume of fuel through the filter the key factor when deciding to replace?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Both...

I'd replace it at the beginning of every season and every 1000-1500 miles after that...

ALWAYS use a funnel filter to fill the sled and fuel stabilizer in the gas.

Never store your sled with old gas in it UNLESS it is specifically made for long term storage... don't use a furel stabilizer in the gas and expect it to protect you in the off season... Drain the gas completely, change your filter, prime the system for 20 seconds after you have added fresh gas to the tank BEFORE you start it up... You will save yourself more work and expense in the long run.

Premium Features