• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YA man, its coming, its for real and without a turbo

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
So many of you may have already seen this in the Perf. Mod section...

twin1.jpg

Brad from Power addiction has built a carbureted 1100 big bore twin based off of a sweet billet crank case and billet stroker crank shaft both of his own design and manufacture. These components are based off of his already successfull stroker triple projects from seasons past.

Why does this matter to you and I? Because he listened to input and has given us a bottom end that we can make monster fuel injected power with!

yep, I'm talking about a complete custom engine with this sweet stroker bottom end and and nasty fast FTX/UBR billet cylinders all fed with CFI fuel injection.

here's what it all looks like before assembly...

1000cfiproject028.jpg

this crank is as well engineered and built as it gets folks...

1000cfiproject026.jpg

the killer billet crankcase gives us the internal dimensions and cylinder spacing of the time proven watercraft case and thats important because all of the R&D testing we have done with big bores on the stock CFI case have fallen short due to what IMO is not enough case volume.

1000cfiproject016.jpg

1000cfiproject025.jpg

this case is also critical because it gives us the ability to get back to divorced (separate) cylinders so we can once again build with ideal transfer sweeps and volumes without the extreme port limitations of the compact mono cylinder the CFI 800 has saddled us with.

this one is going together with a cylinder design that has been proven for years and is very similar to the cylinders used on UBR Cat 1150's and the Polaris UBR billet engine series. we are building just over 1000cc's and will make well over 200 hp with it.

to begin the top end assy, we first had to port match the upper case to our cylinders-here's a shot of the case with an overlay of our transfer port layout...

1000cfiproject029.jpg

and here it is after the grinding dust settles...

1000cfiproject003.jpg

1000cfiproject006.jpg

and now the bottom end is all cleaned up, re assembled and torqued-all ready for the top end...

1000cfiproject036.jpg

A few other cool features about this: CFI stator and flywheel are a bolt in-as are the older carbureted ignitions. modern cross shaft driven water pump using OEM Polaris components. Pto end is available for either 32mm(Polaris CFI) or 33mm (Cat) clutch tapers.oil injected or not--your choice. Both single and twin pipes will be available-twins are already done and tested.

Brad has already had the carbureted version out on the snow with stellar results so what we are working on is giving you the ability to use your CFI 7/800 stator, flywheel, injectors, fuel system,clutch,throttle body and external electronics from your existing 4 injector sled to run this monster. We will have tuning available for the PCV and also the Dobeck based fuel controllers so you have some choices to play with! custom motor install plates as well so installation will be a snap!

expensive? yes.
remember that this is an entirely new engine bottom to top...not just a bolt on big bore. sell your stock engine to get some cash back.

can you get the same power with a turbo? of course you can.

does everyone want a turbo? no!

does a turbo perfectly supply everyones needs? no.

this is for hardcore Polaris customers that want big Polaris fuel injected power in a modern sled without a turbo and they can finally have it!

OK-this is long winded enough...I'll get pics up of the top end build in a day or two when I have more time.

winter won't be here soon enough!:face-icon-small-ton

Curt

S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
AHH!!

Cant wait to see some videos of the engine!

He was telling me about it at the end of winter. Sounded bad ***.

-Matt

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Nice job Power Addiction and FTX!!!!! This is going to be the wet dream for the snow this season.... Too bad I am on a cat :face-icon-small-fro

I still question that decision, the motor looks good. I could still use my electric start on that motor

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
so question of the year...can it be turbo'd? :face-icon-small-hap

this one most likely is destined to be a turbo motor after we finish n/a mapping so we can help Brad take care of customers this fall. we have a buyer chompin' at the bit for a boosted EFI big bore in his Polaris. apparantly the turbo Dragon is boring him... :face-icon-small-sho

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Seems the next logical step is to do some extensive testing. Colorado is an excellent place as the air is dry and the elevation high. You will need a test mule. I will volunteer to help bring down your development costs of this product. Just contributing to the cause! ;)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Curt... Thanks for keeping our readers posted on the new developments and for taking the time to post up details and pics!!

Stellar work, 2 great shops getting it done.

Maybe you'll get an order from Roseau for one of these?

I imagine that Ruth is going to put some of his magic on this one.

Last edited:
L
Mar 17, 2010
To the guys who designed programed and machined this motor I can only imagine the hours you guys have in this. I been a machinist 32 years on the east coast and have run most types of machines from tool room eqipment to very large cnc boring mills. All I can say is wow. hope it works out great for you

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
From what I've learned they will have setups for both IQ and Pro. Very nice job on that bottom end Brad! :face-icon-small-hap

Curt! You can go ahead and pull that engine out of my sled and use the ole shop dragon for the first mock up.....just leave it in there till next April! I'll give it back with some good feedback!

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
The engine will be a fit for either the Pro or IQ or......

currently the pipes are fit for the Pro, new engine plate is for the Pro.

installing in an IQ will require a IQ engine plate which are already available from either Power Addiction or FTX Motorsports.:face-icon-small-hap

Pipes for the IQ application at this time will be a custom fit job....unless we have overwhelming demand:face-icon-small-win

We will be dynoing with the CPI twins, single and also good old SLP race twins with some tweaks for the stroke.

The injection system we are finishing is using CFI 4 components since the 2 injector Pro system limits us and the DET system is ridiculously sensitive for a mod engine.

Our plan is to allow current IQ CFI4 owners(07 up) to use your existing stator, flywheel, regulator, capacitor, injectors, fuel pump etc to finish the induction side of these engines.

4 CFI injectors get installed in between the throttle body and reeds, we will dyno initially with stock CFI throttle bodies for grins, then jump up to the big dog aftermarket throttle bodies to document the difference for you.

I finished the top end assembly tonight and it came out sweet--pics tomorrow for you!

Curt

Premium Features