• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's look at aftermarket running boards and what you get for your money

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
So which is it, customers claim that or the company claims that?

That's what the customers are being told which lead me to buy a set. These guys don't know me from Adam so not sure why they would lie to me.

I'm done with you, you want to stir the pot.....go for it. I've said my peace.

Last edited:

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That's what the customers are being told which lead me to buy a set. These guys don't know me from Adam so not sure why they would lie to me.

I'm done with you, you want to stir the pot.....go for it. I've said my peace.

Yah, cause calling them knock offs and thieves isn't stirring the pot.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i'm looking for investers for my startup company called "knock offs" i am planning on making tubed boards one of my first products and selling them for $250! copy cat seats and just like brand x skis will be coming out shortly after...

O
Oct 15, 2010
Clarkston, MI
I still haven't seen the word knockoff in the title or post. Just a look at the two different brands and two different designs. Just my 2 cents. Of course I know I can get change from that.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i still love my bmfab boards. ive built plenty of roll cages for off road and drag cars and thats the way id build them. you dont see cage builders putting holes in cages to fit pipe. and honestly is probly dont by skinz to make production faster. just cut a hole and slide in a pipe, little to no fitting. and another thing. that thick pipe that skinz uses, isnt that just adding ever precious weight?

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Sometimes its hard to accept, but facts are facts. Thanks Paul, I wish I could of read the entire thread with all the pictures. You're threads are informative and make SW a better place.

Both seem to be good products. Having a bit more knowledge of what your purchasing is never a bad thing.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i think the the manufactures should be make claims about their products and advertize/bash/compare as seen needed. im not sure a "middle man" has any business doing this. can the middle man advertize what he sells? sure, but let leave the dick swinging for the big boys to do. if it bothers you that much that skinz is being undercut, talk to them about it and see what they can do on your cost and your list price. dont tell me my dodge ram is lesser of a vehicle than an escalade because the cadillac costs more.

and for what its worth........i dont own either brand and im not bashing SS. thats just my view on the topic.

<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
i think the the manufactures should be make claims about their products and advertize/bash/compare as seen needed. im not sure a "middle man" has any business doing this. can the middle man advertize what he sells? sure, but let leave the dick swinging for the big boys to do. if it bothers you that much that skinz is being undercut, talk to them about it and see what they can do on your cost and your list price. dont tell me my dodge ram is lesser of a vehicle than an escalade because the cadillac costs more.

and for what its worth........i dont own either brand and im not bashing SS. thats just my view on the topic.

Who cares who puts together a formative thread.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I simply pointed out the differences in boards.

Why don't you weigh them and share that info too then?

Strength/weight ratios are kind of relevant. Personally I don't see why that tubing on the skinz boards needs to be so thick. (totally serious)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
To the "casual" observer, the architectural similarity in your design is STRIKINGLY similar to the original tubular concept advanced by SKINZ Protective Gear a few years back.

Not the same, but eerily reminiscent of the original.

735_SPG_Nytro_MTX_SE_Airframe_Running_Boards_YAFRB150.jpg

ProClimb2(640x480).jpg

willikers Christopher...your Yamaha eerily resembles a snowmobile...??..and you sent a lot of pictures from the mountains of Canada of your sheared off premium products a while back...who made those...???

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
willikers Christopher...your Yamaha eerily resembles a snowmobile...??..and you sent a lot of pictures from the mountains of Canada of your sheared off premium products a while back...who made those...???

Funny thing about PATENTS, they EXPIRE.
And once the original creator has had a full opportunity to recoup their investment on their innovation, then it becomes open game.

Anyone can now build a Snowmobile, even Yamaha.
But copy of piece of their trademarked patented technology and I guarantee you a letter in the mail from the patent attorney.
Polaris, BRP, Arctic Cat, Yamaha all AGGRESSIVELY protect their products...

Skinz problem is that they failed to patent their creation.

And as for the sheared off premium product.
Since you read my posts you WILL recall that it was MY OWN FAULT for FAILING to do the upgrade and thinking I could get away with pushing my luck! I took the risk, I paid the price.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon

And as for the sheared off premium product.
Since you read my posts you WILL recall that it was MY OWN FAULT for FAILING to do the upgrade and thinking I could get away with pushing my luck! I took the risk, I paid the price.

and wasn;t that upgraded product eerily similar in size (5/8) to Timbersleds helm joint..??

see where all this can go..??..iTS KINDA SIMILAR EH...

NO ONE HAS A PATENT OR RIGHTS TO BEND ROUND METAL..

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Christopher,

Since the Brand X manufacture is in favor of the information being posted and all the PM's I've gotten asking for the information put it back up if you possible. If you can see the history can your reverse what I deleted? I deleted all of it.

Thanks,
Paul

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I am really wondering what grade of material was used? Isn't there different grades of aluminum?

Has there been any testing to show how much force it takes to bend either of these boards? I would like to see that and see at what point they each bend. I am thinking that both companies would give a set of boards to have this test done.

I do like that Paul cut up a set that we could see them but what if both of these boards are really over done? What if they could be thinner yet and lighter? Are we not always looking for a way to take a pound off?

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I am really wondering what grade of material was used? Isn't there different grades of aluminum?

Has there been any testing to show how much force it takes to bend either of these boards? I would like to see that and see at what point they each bend. I am thinking that both companies would give a set of boards to have this test done.

I do like that Paul cut up a set that we could see them but what if both of these boards are really over done? What if they could be thinner yet and lighter? Are we not always looking for a way to take a pound off?

When Skinz set out to develop this product they tried various wall thickness versions of the Airframe. After countless hours and a lot of money they determined that the thinner wall boards did bend during testing. I don't know how thin but they did bend at some point. They didn't stop until they were confident that most any rider could install the boards and have years of flawless performance out of them. I'm waiting on the material information. The reality is that the Skinz board weight less by 6 o.z.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
When Skinz set out to develop this product they tried various wall thickness versions of the Airframe. After countless hours and a lot of money they determined that the thinner wall boards did bend during testing. I don't know how thin but they did bend at some point. They didn't stop until they were confident that most any rider could install the boards and have years of flawless performance out of them. I'm waiting on the material information. The reality is that the Skinz board weight less by 6 o.z.

Paul-

Thank you. Now I think you have given some info to back up info you have stated before but it was somewhat unclear.
The Air Frame is lighter- point taken. Because of the thicker wall does that make it stronger? Brand X has more "bars" in their board- over-all does that make it stronger? No doubt brand X has used more feet of tube if it is thinner walled but the board is heavier.......

Premium Features