• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burandt Tunnel Bag? Where do I put the Shovel

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
the burandt bag probably doesn't have a shovel compartment becasue chris doesn't ride with a shovel or probe or beacon.

atleast the 3 days i rode with burandt he didn't have any gear at all. nothing nada not even an pocket knife.

So how the **** is he going to find one of his guests if they happen to do something out of his control and get buried? Seems like a big liability guiding in the backcountry without at least the basics. Even if his holiness could 100% guarantee he would never ever be at risk for an avy (right...) he can't control his guests.

Does he carry any gear to spend the night out? Or can he control the weather and also prevent anyone from falling off and getting injured severely?

I just lost all interest in ever riding with Burandt if that is his attitude for safety.

I also agree that the only place for a shovel is in your pack on your back. It's not for you, it's for your buddies.

Last edited:
S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I Rode with Dan Adams last year and I can tell you he takes safety and training how to be safe in the back country very serious as I believe everyone should!
Every day all day you were taught not only riding skills but how to read terrain and that you can never guess when a avy or any accident for that matter may happen and to always be prepared.
If you dont have everything on his list you dont ride with him! he will sell it to you or borrow it to you but if its not in your pack your not with him.
If Burandt is teaching people to not be safe then thats a shame, he should take that chance to teach common sense safety skills.
Whens the last time you went to a racing school and they didnt wear to teach you how to use and wear the proper saftey equipment, simple basic stuff like a seat belt. A beacon and properly equiped pack is a basic as a seatbelt in your truck in the back country!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
when i asked, he said he does't take anyone into avy terrain, so it is not needed. but all the guest had the stuff. I thought it was a little strange, but he was the pro and i was the guest.

I would submit for consideration that the ability to ride the chit out of a sled is not an indicator of good decision making, it's an indicator of being able to ride the chit out of a sled. Period.

It reminds me of all these movie actors that make sweeping political statements. Acting doesn't make you smart or enlightened. It means your good at faking things and making people believe your something your not . . . . . oh. . . . . maybe they are tied in with the politicians after all!

Anyway, back on track . . .

I'll do my own thinking thank you. And on subject, it's usually just the Wife and I riding together, and we choose to be prepared. I can't imagine where I would pack my lunch if I didn't have a pack ?!?

Ride safe.

Bag

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I would submit for consideration that the ability to ride the chit out of a sled is not an indicator of good decision making, it's an indicator of being able to ride the chit out of a sled. Period.

It reminds me of all these movie actors that make sweeping political statements. Acting doesn't make you smart or enlightened. It means your good at faking things and making people believe your something your not . . . . . oh. . . . . maybe they are tied in with the politicians after all!

Anyway, back on track . . .

I'll do my own thinking thank you. And on subject, it's usually just the Wife and I riding together, and we choose to be prepared. I can't imagine where I would pack my lunch if I didn't have a pack ?!?

Ride safe.

Bag

Well said! :yo:

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Does he carry any gear to spend the night out? Or can he control the weather and also prevent anyone from falling off and getting injured severely?

Good questions to ask. I carried an MRE (you know the one with the heat pack in it) with me all last season in my underseat bag. Luckily, I never needed to use it and hopefully never will, but it;s there just in case. Plus I used to carry a baggie full of Granola bars, but after about 7 years I finally threw 'em out. Strictly for emergency use. I also like to carry a couple of road flares (great for fire starters or signaling) Also a small survival kit, and first aid kit. Also the usual tools and spare parts. Somewhere under all that crap is an awesome snowmobile. You never know what could happen up there in No Mans Land. Did I mention a beacon, shovel and probe?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Whenever I see this thread in bold I want to make a smart azz answer, lol. Like others I usually carry a shovel in my avy vest for rescue only and then a big shovel on the sled for digging out sleds. A lot of my sticks are in spots that I want to have my rescue shovel still attached to my pack so if the hill let's go I still 100% have a shovel. BCA has a new shovel that is bigger with an extendable handle that I just ordered for the shovel on the sled.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Polaris Accessories reads these threads from time to time... If you have a good suggestion and can describe what you would feel is a good upgrade to the bag... they listen to this and "tweak" designs to make better products.

Put it in your first post (edit) and give a good description... who knows... it may make it into the bag next year.

If you must have a tunnel bag with shovel storage... Sled Solutions makes a great bag with shovel carrier built in.

Burandt used this bag too :face-icon-small-win:evil::sad:

Heard it keeps stuff nice and dry to boot.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211504

SSES2_WEB.jpg

SSES1_WEB.jpg

SSES2MAXOPENWEB.jpg

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
I thought Burandt bag was waterproof??? Sled Solutions bag looks nice. Burandt had a shovel and backpack when we rode with him? Different conditions?:face-icon-small-coo

switchassault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2010
mn

SSES2_WEB.jpg

i had this bag last year!! it kept everything dry but the shovel kept falling out on bigger bumps...finally figured out the expandable material was too expandable!!!! i used an hmk shovel so it not the shovel...maybe this year they improoved it, but looks the same to me!

Im waiting on the burandt bag in hopes of it being allot nicer! sounds like they are still on back order

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I have this bag and never had the shovel come out. Great bag, holds it's shape and a beer can is able to stand up right LOL.:face-icon-small-dis

I also modifed it a bit. Instead of using the attached straps that are to be riveted to the tunnel, I used some hyfax material and a 1/4 20 stainless steel bolt and used the tunnel tracks to attach the straps. That alows a cleaner look and I can slide the bag along the tunnel to different positions if I wish.

Last edited:
M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
hey oregon sledder, any pics of your mod utilizing the slider tracks? straps hanging off the side looks so dated on such a nice tunnel . sure would be nice to utilize the tracks opposed to riveting into the tunnel. looks like a sweet bag.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
the sled solution bag looks pretty skookum. looks bigger than the polaris bag. does the polaris bag attach to the tunnel of the pro via slider track? if so, it might do the trick. burandt bag looks sick, but they r back ordered and 300 bucks!! little steep. ogio make wicked products however. top notch quality.

Premium Features