• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PLEASE help me change my mind!!

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Four Pro's and one PC last weekend. Biggest diff's mentioned after swapping were the PC having more power and the fact that the Poo's had more track. Other than those facts which everyone noticed, there were more similarities than differences. Individual set up would make more difference than the fundamental design differences from what we could tell. It's going to come down more to rider and mod's.

Issues? Sounds like there are a few but if you're one of the many who HAVEN'T had a motor issue, nor a belt issue, than all of the other issues are pretty minor and fixable from what I can see. I'm not much of a mechanic but even I can't resist tweeking a few of the items to improve on what is a really sound design. Gaps at the steering post, coil brackets rubbing starter cords, lost hood screws, pipe rubbing on hood, etc are little bs items Cat should have gotten right but are pretty easily fixed.

Not knocking the Poo but if they are now reliable don't forget the motor is putting out 20hp less now - you can buy aftermarket to get that back for $2000.........or spend $100 on the PC.

In any case get what makes you happy but I'd bet your buddies giving you a hard time has more influence on your decision than anything else.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
rear skid, ignition timing, Attack 20, low end bog, seat getting waterlogged

Coolant leak, tail light wires shorting out the sled, melting coolant bottle, flimsy hood that cracked by the front vents, stupid low seat, geared too high..........fixed ALL that stuff, nice sled now.
I could start on my M1000, or my old RMK 800. They all need work. Best part is Snowest. When I get a used '13 ProClimb in 2 years, AC will have helf the bugs worked out and the rest will be figured out by all you guys already!:face-icon-small-coo

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Dealer setup makes a big difference,, some of the issues I read about seem more about fit and finish. The FIRST thing any one should do is tear the thing down and go over every nut and bolt.
I raced moto cross and EVERY new bike I bought was first torn down and checked over carefully.. As hard as a sled is ridden that is the best thing to do with them too. I don't care who (set them up)

M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
Let's face the facts here IMO they make sleds for posers and for those of us that ride hard that's y they make aftermarket stuff and IMO the cat is going to take to the aftermarket stuff way better than the poo. I agree they did some really stupid stuff but I think after the steering is fixed and add a little power and take a little weight away and this sled is going to be awesome

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Sorry to thread jack, but...

WYO- hood will be here this week, spent a lot of time talking with Scott about intake options and he hooked me up with some frog skins to make my own! He Said he had the best luck with those for intakes over the plastic ducts! Will be posting pics as soon as I get the hood on! (Scott said I was the first non-turbo'd 800 that bought one) so I will be testing this out!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
Have a 100 miles on my 800 proclimb so far no deep stuff yet, I think its going to be a blast. I am way happy with the 8000 Ho. Rides and steers way better than my 08 M1000, I remember what I had to do to that 1000 just to get it to how I could handle it. Tunnel mod, BDX diamond drive. pipe can fuel controller, oil delete , no airbox, etc. etc, I don't think there is much Im going to have to do to this 800 proclimb, maybe skis and can and then just ride it. You do have to give credit to Cat amazing enginenering in this chassis, and to come out with a factory turbo and a two stroke in the same chasssis. Cat has always lead the pack in inovation. Ive ridden, Skidoos, yamahas but never rode a po pro, but all of them had things I didn't like.

I

Ihntdux

Nov 27, 2008
Bozeman
"a good rider uses his weight to turn the sled"

I agree with you 110% but how do you do that going down hill through tight trees with moderately packed snow? You can't carve in that crap. Man some of you guys make me fell like a guy that goes out and doesn't ride like anyone else. Like I'm a super rider asking way to much! I am getting to the point where I am starting to agree with some of the post. I just dont want to be stuck with it in the spring of next year when its not worth a penny , OR maybe they will really take off and ill be kicking myself! Lifes a gamble, time to make another! I'm still on the edge but a few of these post have helped me lean towards keeping the cat, that's why I came here to ask you guys about it, I sure didn't think id get all the negative post from others asking if I've rode the damn thing or just hear say!

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
Keep telling yourself that. LOL.

Isn't the engine the same 800ho from 10 and up? If so I think most would agree it's a solid engine. The poo on the other hand left a bad taste in my mouth after every single buddy that had one blew it up and it sat for 40 days in the middle of the season.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Ok here is my 2 cents. I have owned many M series sleds starting with a 2005 M6. I had to do little things to make this sled what I wanted. What I am getting at is that you have to do little things to every sled you buy. The goggle bag is one of the best things I have had on a sled. I will no longer have battery issues on things due to the cold. That thing keeps things nice and warm. I ride a little different then most and I feel that cat has made this suspension for me. If you ride with your feet about mid running board you can finesse this sled to do anything you want. This sled is deffinately a learning curve. This sled is an advancement over the M by leaps and bounds. LOVE MY SLED so much I bought two. Just look at some of your other big purchases and think about what you change. Truck or Car stereo, wheels, tint windows. Your House repaint, sheetrock garage, heater in garage, Deck, annd the list goes on. Maybe you just need some riding time. If not this is AMERICA so BUY and Complain about what you want. We will listen and give an opinion. Just remember an opinion is like a brown hole we all have one.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
a year old used cat,poo or doo in the spring are all worth about the same.not much.seen a 11 poo that everybody on here slobbers over(dont know why)on craigslist all summer for 5k.

L
Dec 13, 2008
"a good rider uses his weight to turn the sled"

I agree with you 110% but how do you do that going down hill through tight trees with moderately packed snow? You can't carve in that crap. Man some of you guys make me fell like a guy that goes out and doesn't ride like anyone else. Like I'm a super rider asking way to much! I am getting to the point where I am starting to agree with some of the post. I just dont want to be stuck with it in the spring of next year when its not worth a penny , OR maybe they will really take off and ill be kicking myself! Lifes a gamble, time to make another! I'm still on the edge but a few of these post have helped me lean towards keeping the cat, that's why I came here to ask you guys about it, I sure didn't think id get all the negative post from others asking if I've rode the damn thing or just hear say!

as far as the shorter steering goes its not that much less. I dont think it will matter one bit going down hill in tight trees. I think the only time you will notice it is turning around in a tight place most of the time you can use reverse. put some better skies on like the powder pros or simmons ect. so it will turn when you want it to, and buy no means I think im some sort of pro rider im just an old fart that started out on a 1970 panther. that was a good sled but if I had to ride it today I would quit snowmobiling. I have owend many sleds since then each of them better than the one before Ive never looked back. I think all the new sleds have came a long way and your going to find things you dont care for with all of them. most of this stuff is miner. my biggest complaint on the 2012 pc is cat forgot to put a hinge on the hood. I liked lifting it up and putting my helmet under to defrost. but you talked about the big hole by the steering it works great to sit your helmet or goggles over to defrost. dont let these constant complainers get you down they are never happy you can look on the poo and doo fourms and some of them are in there cry babbying, trying to run these sleds down also. ever wounder how many diffrent names some of these people have on snowest. I dont know how they ever get any time to ride or even work there on snowest 24/7

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I just can´t understand way they didn´t use Brett Rasmussen input when the designed the proclimb like when they designed the M-series.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
Just sucks to drop some of my hard earned money on something that aint worth what you paid for it!QUOTE]

No offense, but if this is truly one of your major concerns you are going to have a lot of unhappy years if you continue to snowmobile, no matter what brand, model, color, size, shape, smell sled you are riding!!!!!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
as far as the shorter steering goes its not that much less. I dont think it will matter one bit going down hill in tight trees. I think the only time you will notice it is turning around in a tight place most of the time you can use reverse. put some better skies on like the powder pros or simmons ect. so it will turn when you want it to, and buy no means I think im some sort of pro rider im just an old fart that started out on a 1970 panther. that was a good sled but if I had to ride it today I would quit snowmobiling. I have owend many sleds since then each of them better than the one before Ive never looked back. I think all the new sleds have came a long way and your going to find things you dont care for with all of them. most of this stuff is miner. my biggest complaint on the 2012 pc is cat forgot to put a hinge on the hood. I liked lifting it up and putting my helmet under to defrost. but you talked about the big hole by the steering it works great to sit your helmet or goggles over to defrost. dont let these constant complainers get you down they are never happy you can look on the poo and doo fourms and some of them are in there cry babbying, trying to run these sleds down also. ever wounder how many diffrent names some of these people have on snowest. I dont know how they ever get any time to ride or even work there on snowest 24/7

No bash, but you are wrong regarding the steering. It IS very evident when in tight trees. Doesn't matter what skis you have, it does not turn tight enough when in the tight trees. Ihntdux is correct in his assessment regarding laying a sled over in tight trees. It does not work.

With that said, I feel the PC is a very good sled. I own one and a Poo also. 162" and 163". Both sleds work very well. Each has attributes that are a little better than the other, but none that stand out like the turning. It is the one function on the Cat that needs addressed. Like Elvis stated, it is also VERY beneficial when sidehilling.

Again, no bash, just what we have found in side by side comparisons.:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Remember the 08 Ski Doo?? Just now that chassis is starting to work. Like I said earlier, Dealer setup and devotion to the product is key, sure the( ride) may have come from the factory a little better maybe...
How much time do some of you spend at the poo site? lhntdux,, don't let some one raz you,, just because theirs is (good out of the box) most of their problems seem to happen mid season that's about how long they last,, and when problems pop up with the other brand just keep riding.... Nothing wrong with getting your hands dirty, it gives you piece of mind knowing your sled will make it out at the end of the day. Face it,, at some point you HAVE TO wrench on them all... Otherwise buy brand p and take a chance it will hold up ALL season.. Just the stats folks.....

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Feel the passion here? THAT"S why we buy AC (well me anyway LOL).

I've been lurking on the Pro forum since I snowchecked one a year ago and on this one for a while.
Big difference between the two.
Here we constantly read about modding (and argue about it LOL) from stock. Why? 'Cause we can. AC gives us the strongest chassis and the stoutest motors. Both take modding and abuse well.
I switched to Cat originally because my Doos blew up too soon and learned to love the chassis. I'll bet there are way more smoking diesels with Cats on the back LOL than there are with both the other brands put together.

On the Poo Pro forum, they're modding is mostly venting and decals. Or, things you need to change because they break from riding too hard.
They're total gaga about the new Pro isn't too hard to believe considering how bad Poo's last offering was.
On the other hand the M was a well refined package.

Out of the box, both are great sleds. Said that many times. Both have some that eat belts, both forums have questions on suspention set-up. Both have dealer set-up or from the factory problems. Don't read the forums and you won't know. Ignorance is bliss.

I loved my sled on the first ride. Then I tore it apart 'cause I like to do that and the PC lets me.
You don't want to touch your sled? Good you are part of the majority. Enjoy. The PC is a great package and will give you many miles of trouble free riding. For you your dealer is the most important part of which brand you pick IMO. You have to trust their answers to the questions you might have.
The internet isn't the place. People here (especially the AC forum)tell you the suspention sucks, you need to put your bars here or you don't know how to ride, you need to change the steering or else..., your seat is too tall, you need to change your clutch if you ride the mountians, this nut is loose, this leaks,... Holy Mackeral I thought I just bought the best thing since sliced bread.
Relax, it,s not that bad. You have to read between the lines and decide for yourself if this is something you noticed. Then go ask your dealer if it is an issue.

One more thing to consider (maybe even a warning). If you read a how-to-do thing or beat your buddy by 3 lengths thing and it gets you excited. Go to church on Sundays instead and pray. Pray you don't get the modding bug, especially if you worry about your new ride and how much it costs.

This first year sled is thew best one I have ever owned.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just to be clear, not trying to speak for anyone but me, (why I state my style and IMO so much)

I rode them all and would not buy a cat with out a demo. I know enough about sleds, weight, engine, drive, geometry, track, etc.......................................
As soon as I rode the cat I knew exactly what it needed to put it on the top, all stuff I can do with minimal cost. But if I was not capable of fabbing it myself I would have walked across the street and bought a Pro, (f u cat)
I'm a mod guy, the cat has way more potential for me. So in some ways cat did a great job because I knew what I was getting and bought a cat, but no matter what anyone builds I will find a better way much like the rest of us. Good for me the b1tching is in one ear and out the other but do it anyway hoping someone listens or shuts me up for a good reason.
Either mod the PC or get a Pro, IMO only way to have fun when riding with 4 of them.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
This is a good thread. Geo, good post.

I'm a little disappointed reading this, only because I would've hoped Cat had more bugs worked out before releasing this sled. Their fit and finish continues to be substandard as well unfortunately. Design wise, i think cat did some good stuff with this sled, but one of the major failures in my opinion is its lack of aluminum usage in its chassis/blukhead. Compared w/ Poo and Doo, the usage is steel is far too high, and its piggish weight shows this.

And Geo, you make another great point - if you love to mod, Cat is your sled of choice. And your anology regarding Cats being on the back of "smoking" deisel is also a realistic observation.

however, my biggest beef is that a sled should be able to satisfy BOTH types of customers in this day and age, just like my smoking Duramax does. I could leave the truck alone and have a worry free great performing truck - OR - i could mod it to the hilt if i want and have an even better truck! It's my choice!!! Such is not the the case with this new cat. It appears you'll need mods of some sort to make it acceptable on a day to day basis. Which is why I bought a Doo, and will probably buy another after nearly a decade on Cats. All it needs is a little venting, and some clutch work - super strong motor, light, climbs like a billy goat, and best track around, not to mention the only true direct injected 2 stroke.

I just think its going to take at least a year for cat to get to where this sled should've been on its FIRST year. And that makes me sad, i as i really really wanted to buy it.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I think you peeps need to look at all the positives from this chassis not the few hurdles.

From my last M they addressed several issues we had! Heah there will be more issues but cat listened and delivered a sled that fixed a lot of the issues we were having with our old M's

Suspension!
Can bolt a team clutch on now!
Rear bogies are tied together for strength
12 volt plug is strait convienant next to the goggle bag
Steering effort is better
No snow build up in the nose cone or front suspension
Just like the 10 11 M this this chassis in 3 years will have a tighter tur ing radius better fit n finish ect. I love getting something new and solving these little issues with my own engineering :) i know the engineer at cat dos t ride as hard as me and doesnt have the mountains i ride in. I have to make this sled be what i want. Same with poo and doo.

The issues with the new cat are a lot less then he old M's imo!

Even the 10-11 m8's people were putting m7 spi dles on to get tighter steering. Its the nature of the game i think cat really delivered us a solid platform to work with and a motor thats industry leading!

Kudos cat! Thank you for building a mountain sled with the siiiickest front suspension in the industry!

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
Premium Features