• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your thoughts on the new Arctic Cat Blast Mountain

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah he’s going to pass me up in no time. I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's obviously doing awesome, but how do you think he'd do with the narrower front end on it?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wondering if he has the right clutching. I can get the Yamaha version from my buddy but he says the clutching is way off and parts are on backorder.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Wondering if he has the right clutching. I can get the Yamaha version from my buddy but he says the clutching is way off and parts are on backorder.
Probably not. I think there is something lacking in the clutching for the elevation we ride for sure. But I wanted to try it out stock but yes I need to get different clutching I am sure.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I took Isla's Blast for a little spin and even with me being 6'5" and 240 lbs that thing really liked to be planted. Granted it was in 4" of dust on frozen ground...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I took Isla's Blast for a little spin and even with me being 6'5" and 240 lbs that thing really liked to be planted. Granted it was in 4" of dust on frozen ground...
overloading the springs and squishing the sled down closer to the ground will make it harder to tip up as well.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Probably not. I think there is something lacking in the clutching for the elevation we ride for sure. But I wanted to try it out stock but yes I need to get different clutching I am sure.
I removed 2 of the 6 weights to get more rpm. Opposite side, three hit rev limiter. Ride around 10k. Short term bush fix until someone figures out a high elevation clutch kit.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
I drilled out the weights. Runs about 78-7900 now. What’s it limited to for revs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Running 7800ish now with 3 weights TS hit limiter very quickly so I do not know.
Sled has helped my daughter learn quickly. Our only complaint is a most likely a TSS issue I can’t track down. Not sure if it is icing or cable adjustment.

37CAF6E1-CF5D-4160-86D9-AA10D8102EA7.jpeg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
TSS is short for Throttle Safety Switch. It's in the throttle block on the handlebars. It's a safety mechanism so if the throttle gets stuck somehow and you let off the lever it will kill the engine. They can be problematic causing the sled to bog at exactly the wrong time if they are not working correctly. Lots of people, including myself, disconnect them to avoid issues and just rely on pulling the tether or hitting the kill switch if we have a runaway.

BDX posted some pics yesterday of one of these hanging on a scale under 350lb with a 450 big bore kit. Didn't say if that was dry or crate weight.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh sweet! So the kids can keep using them nice! Huh...always wondered how a guy dealt with a stuck throttle. Could be terrifying! I know I've fallen off and tether still didn't pull. I guess the oem's can't hope for the best and have to do that for liability reasons. Just cause I really don't know...would a 350lb say 100 horse snowmobile be awesome (for real rider)?? Think my 600 is advertised at 125 hp. I know that the blast is easier to ride like a scooter, just sitting like a tourist and these kids on here are doing WAY better than me!!! Damnit wish my dad bought me one when I was a kid! Spoiled lol!!

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
The best part of the Blast is not the power. In my opinion it is the lack of power and consistency. I have attempted to teach my older girls on m6s and hand me down 800s (my spare). They would get into situations where they stop, pin it, and then I get to dig them out. The Blast "tractors" through the snow similar to a snow bike in 2nd or 3rd gear. At this point I plan on ordering another on this year. I bought one as a test for my wife and my youngest has taken over.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the blast with the dropped chaincase and less weight will probably pop up on the snow and move forward better than a hand me down 600 or 800 of an older vintage. also i suppose the less power will spin less and trench less. i dont have a blast and am making assumptions here.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Correct assumption. Track speed is low but it pushes forward in fairly deep snow. My tractor refences is the noises in my head when riding my snow bike in deep snow. Not moving very fast but moving.

On higher power sleds throttle control is key to avoid trenching.

I did just get word the high altitude clutch weights are in stock. Will have a set next week.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Just got the clutch kit. Arctic cat part 8639-413

They are 8 gram weights vs 12 gram stock. Should be the same as removing 2 except balanced.

Premium Features